REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Laneway house Garage or No Garage (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709861-laneway-house-garage-no-garage.html)

Ching.Chong 08-03-2016 04:06 PM

Laneway house Garage or No Garage

Hello,

I am in the process of building a lane way house on my parent's property and the biggest question that needs to be addressed is whether or not to keep a garage or not have one and opt for a car port beside the laneway house. It definitely nice to have a private garage but it eats away at the living space which is only 800 sq ft, the garage will take up at least 200 sq ft (180 sqft to be precise)

*Edit: It would be a 1 and 1/2 story laneway

Option 1: Retain Garage
Pros:
Private parking spot
Storage space Bonus
Flexibility (Can be converted into another room in the future)

Cons:
Eats away precious living space leaving about 600 SQ FT

Option 2: Opt out of Garage
Pros:
Fully optimized maximum living space. (Bigger living room + Kitchen) (800 SQ FT)
Slightly Lower Cost.

Cons:
Not Flexible (Cannot or very expensive to convert into a garage in the future.)
Parking Your Vehicle outside

Would you guys prefer a private garage, and a smaller living space, or would you rather park your cars outside and have a bigger living space? Asking this in a car forum is somewhat bias as many of us would value private garage to store/work on cars, but definitely would like to see what other opinions people value ! What would you choose, and why!

320icar 08-03-2016 04:10 PM

A lane house that's only 800 sq ft??? How narrow is this place... Only one floor?

Ch28 08-03-2016 04:10 PM

I'd personally opt for more living space with a carport. The extra 180 sq ft makes a huge difference when your sq ft is limited.

The only reason I'd opt for a built in garage is if your area is prone to car thefts and break ins.

tiger_handheld 08-03-2016 04:19 PM

If you are renting the joint, add more living space.

JesseBlue 08-03-2016 04:20 PM

why not add a full blown second story?

Presto 08-03-2016 04:21 PM

My friends are married and they live in the laneway house/garage built by the girl's father. It is tiny. I think 500sqft. They manage fine. The key is to declutter, which is something I can never do.

TouringTeg 08-03-2016 04:21 PM

I have a 700 sq ft detached work shop with single garage door I may convert some day.

My neighbour has a detached 800 sq ft work shop converted to a 600 sq ft bachelor with attached garage space intact.

Less income from a bachelor but some argue there are benefits to having a bachelor instead of a couple, family, etc. That's another debate though.

Speed2K 08-03-2016 05:16 PM

If I was going to live there I'd want a garage.

ilovebacon 08-03-2016 05:28 PM

oops sorry to steal your thread with a irrelevant opinion too

ncrx 08-03-2016 05:41 PM

more living space for sure
if you are turning into a rental thats more $ in your pocket
in the future im fairly positive it will become a stratifiable unit, that extra 200 sq ft goes a long way in cap gains.

if u are allowed build a 4 foot crawl space for storage. hint*

TypeRNammer 08-03-2016 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseBlue (Post 8777660)
why not add a full blown second story?

City of Vancouver only allows a maximum of 1.5 stories for lane way homes

MG1 08-03-2016 06:30 PM

Can't wait until the day Burnaby allows laneway homes.

Ch28 08-03-2016 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed2K (Post 8777685)
If I was going to live there I'd want a garage.

I'm interested to know why you'd choose a garage over gaining 25% more living space

nah 08-04-2016 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 8777661)
My friends are married and they live in the laneway house/garage built by the girl's father. It is tiny. I think 500sqft. They manage fine. The key is to declutter, which is something I can never do.

Humans are great at adapting.

asian_XL 08-04-2016 01:20 AM

the govt is stupid, what is 1.5 stories? could i dig deep and get a basement?

ziggyx 08-04-2016 06:33 AM

I'm just curious as to why you can have a laneway house with a garage vs a larger laneway house with a car port beside it?

Couldn't you just get the larger laneway house and still convert the port into a garage (or use the car port space for a garage)?

winson604 08-04-2016 07:16 AM

The garage is freaking tempting but with the limited sq footage the difference of 180 sq is massive and I can't say no to it. No garage for me regardless if I'm single or not.

GLOW 08-04-2016 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 8777780)
the govt is stupid, what is 1.5 stories? could i dig deep and get a basement?

i think the 1 is the upper story and the .5 is the lower portion next to a single garage, unless i'm confused. people like the protection of garages for their cars and storage.

regarding garage and carport next to the building...

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20130824200436

whitev70r 08-04-2016 09:01 AM

No garage, where you going to keep the common stuff like bikes, lawnmower, skis, thule box, winter tires, etc? A shed?

Gumby 08-04-2016 09:08 AM

A few important questions:

How wide is your lot? Judging by the size of your LWH, it sounds like your lot is 33' wide. At that width, having a garage really cuts into your living space, which is already small to being with. Based on this single factor, I would probably not have a garage. Anything wider than 33' and I would tend to favour including a garage. Side note - what does the street parking situation look like?

As for your neighbourhood, what do the other LWHs in your area look like? Do you want to be similar to the others, or do you have a reason to be different?

Who will live in the LWH? I suspect your parents will use this as a source of income. Who will use the garage - your parents, or the tenant? If you anticipate students living there, or a small family (that might not be able to afford a car), then the garage will be wasted. If you want to rent to a single working professional, then they might have a car and appreciate the garage.

A few other anecdotes:
I live on a 32x122 corner lot, which can be ideal for a LWH since the tenant can exit on to the street instead of alley. Street parking is also not an issue. While the rules didn't allow me to build a LWH at the time (because I'm less than 33' wide, maybe things have changed now), I would still not build a LWH because I make full use of my 2-car garage (I have 2 cars & storage), and I value personal space over rental income (I already have a basement suite).

Many new houses in my area are built including LWH with a single garage. I'm just west of Main, near Langara so I bet a lot of property owners are families with "average" incomes that want/need all the rental income they can get. This will be the case the farther east you go: cram as much living space on a single lot as possible and rent all of it out.

A few years ago, my friend (family of 4) built a house, including a 3-bedroom basement suite & LWH (with a single garage) on a 33x115 lot in the Cambie area. They rented out the entire basement, and the LWH+garage, so they were making nearly $5k per month in rental income (which they didn't NEED, but allowed them to go on multiple trips a year). They recently sold their house. There are a lot of white, hippy families in their area, so my impression is that for their target market, money isn't as big of an issue. There were a few interested buyers that decided not to buy because they wanted a full garage instead of the LWH. My friend is now building a new place nearby on a standard lot, and they are not building a LWH because they missed having a garage.

Food for thought!

swiftshift 08-04-2016 10:22 AM

Lane way is always great for extra rental income
Depending on how big your family is.. that can determine your needs.

GLOW 08-04-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftshift (Post 8777869)
Lane way is always great for extra rental income
Depending on how big your family is.. that can determine your needs.

i've always thought about that and it got me thinking...if it's soley for rental income, how long would you have to rent it out for to recoup the cost. doesn't an avg laneway cost around 250k to build? if so...and you can get like $1500/month rent, not including anything else like taxable income and stuff... it'll take around 14 years to recoup everything...probably longer considering i would think most people would be borrowing that amount to build it so there's interest costs to factor in.

Manic! 08-04-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8777908)
i've always thought about that and it got me thinking...if it's soley for rental income, how long would you have to rent it out for to recoup the cost. doesn't an avg laneway cost around 250k to build? if so...and you can get like $1500/month rent, not including anything else like taxable income and stuff... it'll take around 14 years to recoup everything...probably longer considering i would think most people would be borrowing that amount to build it so there's interest costs to factor in.

But after 14 years you sell it you will pocket all the money.

CivicBlues 08-04-2016 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ching.Chong (Post 8777654)
Hello,

I am in the process of building a lane way house on my parent's property and the biggest question that needs to be addressed is whether or not to keep a garage or not have one and opt for a car port beside the laneway house. It definitely nice to have a private garage but it eats away at the living space which is only 800 sq ft, the garage will take up at least 200 sq ft (180 sqft to be precise)

Dude, your username is pretty racist. You should change it before you offend someone.

...unless of course your name really is that, then carry on EleGiggle

GLOW 08-04-2016 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8777926)
But after 14 years you sell it you will pocket all the money.

only if you sell the home and move. i assume you're not implying selling the laneway itself (not sure if you can just sell it separately)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicBlues (Post 8777927)
Dude, your username is pretty racist. You should change it before you offend someone.

...unless of course your name really is that, then carry on EleGiggle

nah he's good, it means "I love you" KappaPride