REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   RCMP foil terrorist plot in Strathroy, Ontario (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709946-rcmp-foil-terrorist-plot-strathroy-ontario.html)

pastarocket 08-11-2016 07:15 AM

RCMP foil terrorist plot in Strathroy, Ontario

Shit is getting real now in terms of terrorist activity in our country. :heckno:

RCMP will release details of their operation which foiled a terrorist plot in
Strathroy, Ontario.
Mounties to release more details about foiled terror plot - NEWS 1130

STRATHROY, ON. (NEWS 1130) – We are learning more about the RCMP operation in southern Ontario yesterday that ended with one man dead and according to police, a plan to potentially kill Canadians thwarted. Investigators are expected to address the media at 10 a.m. PT.

Aaron Driver, who was originally from Winnipeg and had been under a court order not to associate with any terrorist organization, died during the police operation, although specific details on just what happened have yet to be released.

The 23-year-old was known to the Canadian Security Intelligence Service as an ISIS supporter who had once published instructions for Muslims to try and reach Syria. He was also released on a terror-related peace bond in 2015 after his Winnipeg home was raided by the Mounties.

The RCMP said it had received credible information of a potential terror threat, identified a suspect and taken action to ensure there was no danger to the public.

Police across the country say they were made aware of a terror threat investigation earlier in the previous day, but noted that it had no specifics attached.

In a statement, Federal Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said the national terror threat level remains at medium which is where it has been since 2014

http://globalnews.ca/news/2876940/em...ss-casualties/

An email warning about Aaron Driver’s potential suicide bombing was sent out to several major security firms Wednesday evening.

The alert was sent by the Department of Defence and the warning was forwarded to security agencies by the RCMP. The information from the email was from a source with a private security firm who spoke to Global News/680 CJOB on condition of anonymity.

Driver was the terrorism suspect killed in a confrontation with police Wednesday in the southern Ontario town of Strathroy.

“Information has been received by Ottawa NHQ from a credible source that there may be a terrorist attack carried out today by a lone suspect,” the email read, which was sent around 8 p.m. Wednesday.

“Based on the information received, the attack may occur today [Wednesday] in a Canadian city and will be by means of a suicide detonation of an improvised explosive device at a time and place that would cause mass casualties.”

It also said that given the warm temperatures in Ontario, “persons who are overly clothed for the weather, or carrying a backpack may be of interest.”

Authorities have released very little information on the investigation but are expected to provide further details during a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday.

Driver is originally from Winnipeg. He was arrested in Charleswood in June 2015 after being accused of supporting ISIS. He then moved to Strathroy, Ont., from Winnipeg to comply with a peace bond that was agreed upon earlier this year by his lawyer and prosecutors.

He had been under a court order not to associate with any terror group and faced 18 other court ordered conditions

Sid Vicious 08-11-2016 08:44 AM

europe experienced a huge wave of terror attacks after mass migration, hopefully canada learns from their mistakes

relevant:
http://www.politico.eu/article/germa...mong-refugees/

Liquid_o2 08-11-2016 09:25 AM

Kids name is Aaron Driver? Read quickly up on him, converted to Islam after his girlfriend had a miscarriage. Did a lot of drugs. Had a troubled upbringing. Goes to show that suburban white kids can be radicalized if they don't have any proper people in their lives to steer them in the right direction.

Hondaracer 08-11-2016 09:56 AM

I don't even consider these people "radicalized" they are just dumb fucks who read shit on the Internet and think that's the direction they should go in

Galactic_Phantom 08-11-2016 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8779530)
I don't even consider these people "radicalized" they are just dumb fucks who read shit on the Internet and think that's the direction they should go in

^That's really all radicalization is....

1) Terrorist post about "Islamic" ideals on the internet
2) Hopefully inspire a bunch of idiots in a basement who read about on the other side of the world.
3) Radicalize said idiots through further teachings
4) Idiots seek training and information. (how to build bombs etc., go to Middle East for actual training)
5) Lone terrorist attacks in the name of ISIS (or whatever).
6) Terrorist group message gets sent without actually using 'their own people'

CharlesInCharge 08-11-2016 10:23 AM

Didnt read the article... the only thing I heard on him was that he tried to go to Syria in the past... I guess he wasnt an ideal candidate by Canadian spy agencies because he didnt fit the "islamic" middle eastern background.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8779508)
europe experienced a huge wave of terror attacks after mass migration, hopefully canada learns from their mistakes

relevant:
German intelligence warns of IS ?hit squads? among refugees ? POLITICO

Are you denying Canada helped create ISIS and that their only mistake is letting in refugees?

SolidPenguin 08-11-2016 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8779542)
Didnt read the article... the only thing I heard on him was that he tried to go to Syria in the past... I guess he wasnt an ideal candidate by Canadian spy agencies because he didnt fit the "islamic" middle eastern background.

Yah I guess he didnt fit the background so they didnt care about him. So the arrest and detention from last year, the peace bond, and ultimately his death from a raid this week was them not caring.
/Sarcasm

CharlesInCharge 08-11-2016 10:45 AM

You dont get it... he didnt fit the background (being Anglo) to be an ISIS fighter... so they stopped him from leaving the country.

SolidPenguin 08-11-2016 11:08 AM

It says he wrote instructions to help people go to Syria, nothing about himself trying to go.
But with that peace bond on him, I can imagine it being pretty hard to go to another country anyway...

swiftshift 08-11-2016 11:24 AM

I feel that at any moment something tragic can just occur anywhere in the world

Manic! 08-11-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

relevant:
German intelligence warns of IS ?hit squads? among refugees ? POLITICO

Yes we must deport all people from Manitoba and build a wall.

Manic! 08-11-2016 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftshift (Post 8779563)
I feel that at any moment something tragic can just occur anywhere in the world

When has that ever not been the case.

Nlkko 08-11-2016 12:12 PM

Good job RCMP!

yray 08-11-2016 01:26 PM

Send them to the arctic.

Ch28 08-11-2016 02:14 PM

I'm surprised it hasn't happened more often, given how we're the USA's closest ally in everything.

StylinRed 08-11-2016 04:19 PM

Given the recent BC Supreme Court findings of the RCMP creating two terrorists out of two homeless drug addicts, even providing them with the bombs, and bomb making material, and plans, I'm wondering what role the RCMP played in this kids outcome... I guess time will tell

flagella 08-11-2016 04:39 PM

I'm more concerned about the ever increasing number of dumb kids these days that don't have the critical thinking ability.

68style 08-11-2016 05:55 PM

Should actually be thanking the FBI, they told the RCMP what was up.

tiger_handheld 08-11-2016 06:06 PM

I think we should fund Pablo Chakone to go raid syria and set up his coke shop there.... Pblo vs. ISIS.... at least the war on drugs is better than war on innocent people.... sounds like a plan anyone?

CharlesInCharge 08-11-2016 06:15 PM

You would think the Canadian special forces would have the intelligence to apprehend the suspect and root out the main terrorists up the pyramid.... but hey, thats probably a Mossad agent of isreal.

This could all be a setup too, just to show stupid people that if you do terror related activities... the police will show up at your basement and kill you.

CRS 08-11-2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8779662)
You would think the Canadian special forces would have the intelligence to apprehend the suspect and root out the main terrorists up the pyramid.... but hey, thats probably a Mossad agent of isreal.

This could all be a setup too, just to show stupid people that if you do terror related activities... the police will show up at your basement and kill you.

You make it seem like intelligence gathering is so simple.

Perhaps you should apply for CSIS and do just what you listed above?

westopher 08-11-2016 08:09 PM

Quote:

relevant:
German intelligence warns of ISIL ?hit squads? among refugees ? POLITICO

Canadian born man from Canadian parents involved in terror plot.
Blames refugees.
Awesome logic.

CharlesInCharge 08-11-2016 08:10 PM

Sid just runs away when confronted with real questions... ask him if he thinks 19 "muslim" Arabs committed 911... he will not get into it as I once tried.... but hes quick to let us know the latest "muslims" threats.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8779677)
You make it seem like intelligence gathering is so simple.

Perhaps you should apply for CSIS and do just what you listed above?

Dont you think you have the wits to lure a guy like that into some kind of trap? Give him a proper sentence for being a terrorist and after a few cold nights in a cell and without his WoW gaming, he would be begging to rat out his commanders.

CRS 08-11-2016 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8779687)
Dont you think you have the wits to lure a guy like that into some kind of trap? Give him a proper sentence for being a terrorist and after a few cold nights in a cell and without his WoW gaming, he would be begging to rat out his commanders.

If you think you could do that, again, why don't you apply to be part of CSIS and make this into a reality and make Canada a safer place?

CharlesInCharge 08-11-2016 09:20 PM

You have good passion to change our society for the better.
You know what we can all do... each chip in $5 to buy a drone, ship it out to Afghanistan and have one of our service men fly it over the agricultural areas to spot big red poppy fields.
Maybe we can impact prices enough in Surrey to churn out less addicts and in return, less broken families.
Let us know what CSIS thinks... just email them.
1. CIC $5