REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
installing hardwood flooring

one of the flooring guys who came to quote mentioned that he wants to install the new laminate flooring (darker color) over the existing laminate (weird brown/oak color). He does not want to remove the existing as it's "good and level". He says all I need is a new underlay (cheap is ok) and flooring.

The existing laminate looks to be about 8mm and the one i want is 12mm. That's 20mm above ground. Some areas like bathroom entry way are all tile...

Questions:

1- is it normal to install new laminate over existing laminate?
2- what about the transition from living room to tile? I'll be going from 20mm to presumably 3-4mm tile? that's a 16mm (1/2 inch) difference... will I need to put a "watch your step" sign in my living room ..lol
3- Whats the average to install 700sqft of laminate without removing existing flooring
4- whats the average to remove existing and install?

TIA
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Give Jordan's Flooring a call.
You need more estimates and from more professional installers.
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I've seen it done before at some peoples houses, even thought the proper transition pieces are put in, it always looks so odd to me having such a height difference in flooring levels. Anytime i DIY this type of thing i've always ripped the old out.

The person quoting you will rip out the old if you ask them (for a price of course) but they make more money/time spent on the job if they just come in and throw down new floor as is and walk away.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Sounds ghetto as fuck.

What are you going to do if you ever want to re-tile the kitchen/bathrooms, put tile on tile, so they match up?

What's he going to do about the baseboards? Remove them and reinstall 15mm higher?

Just demo the old stuff and have more even transitions. For a few hundred more in demo and disposal, the end result will be way better.

Is this a house or condo? Wood or concrete subfloor?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7

Last edited by fliptuner; 08-13-2016 at 10:29 AM.
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Sounds ghetto as fuck.

What are you going to do if you ever want to re-tile the kitchen/bathrooms, put tile on tile, so they match up?

What's he going to do about the baseboards? Remove them and reinstall 15mm higher?

Just demo the old stuff and have more even transitions. For a few hundred more in demo and disposal, the end result will be way better.

Is this a house or condo? Wood or concrete subfloor?
I'm getting new baseboards so the old ones are being removed...
He didn't even quote me on quote me on removing old ...
concrete subfloor in a condo.

If y'all got any installers, post here or PM me. Clearly I can't go with this guys quote ...

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #6

Any chance the existing floor is glued down? I recently demo'd a glued down, engineered hardwood floor, where the rubber underlay was also glued to the concrete subfloor. It was a massive pita. The subfloor had to be scraped down as well. Took 3+ days to have it ready for install. This is the only reason i can think of, where going over existing might remotely be considered. Having said that, if it were my place, I'd still demo it, 100% first

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 08-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
If your floor is going to be another 12mm higher, just make sure things like doors, closet doors are able to open and close.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Ghetto for sure. How much is he quoting you for labour and flooring?

I think cheapest laminate is about $2-3 per sq. Labour is whatever he wants to charge.

Are you doing random or H style? The latter takes much longer.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #9
MiX iT Up!

How do I find out if it's glued down or not?

and if I demo it, can't I just use the new underlay as an evening layer? why do i have to mess around with scraping/sanding concrete

What is random or "H" Style?

Last edited by tiger_handheld; 08-13-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #10

Wood Floor Layout - Floor Rugs & Mats

Irregular is easiest. If you ask the installer to have some sort of pattern it will waste a lot of materials and a PITA.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #11

Underlay is a foam blanket. It won't fix leveling.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #12
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

You should really check with strata before starting your flooring project. They may have specific requirements (i.e underlay ratings)
Old 08-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #13
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS PWR View Post
You should really check with strata before starting your flooring project. They may have specific requirements (i.e underlay ratings)
the underlay i plan to use meets strata regulations.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
If your floor is going to be another 12mm higher, just make sure things like doors, closet doors are able to open and close.
Trimming doors, recutting door jambs, adjusting/trimming closet doors, etc. More trouble than it's worth.

RSUV #7
Old 08-15-2016, 08:18 AM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

haha leaving the current stuff in place, what a joke

remove it and install the new
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #16
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
one of the flooring guys who came to quote mentioned that he wants to install the new laminate flooring (darker color) over the existing laminate (weird brown/oak color). He does not want to remove the existing as it's "good and level". He says all I need is a new underlay (cheap is ok) and flooring.

The existing laminate looks to be about 8mm and the one i want is 12mm. That's 20mm above ground. Some areas like bathroom entry way are all tile...

Questions:

2- what about the transition from living room to tile? I'll be going from 20mm to presumably 3-4mm tile? that's a 16mm (1/2 inch) difference... will I need to put a "watch your step" sign in my living room ..lol
3- Whats the average to install 700sqft of laminate without removing existing flooring

TIA
1.) Usually people replace the old laminate however I don't see why not..
2.) If you want to make it perfect I would recommend hiring professional staff to properly apply more concrete if needed to level the flooring evenly.
3.) Depends on materials you want to use
4.) ^
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
If the existing stuff is level then I'd imagine the concrete underneath is gonna be level or pretty close. If you're replacing the baseboards maybe take one off and try to remove the last row of flooring to see how it's connected, it's coming out anyways so no worries about damaging it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #18
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post

Questions:

TIA
#1) No. It might be okay, but definitely not the norm. (Plus all laminates are "floating" floor. You might feel more "softness" or "bounciness" if you put 1 floating floor on top of another. Difference could be minimal, but you never know. (Plus, all your baseboard and trimming will look shorter, your door's bottom might need to be trimmed down to fit, and if you have sliding door the extra floor height might make the door not fit back on)

#2) Your tile height is definitely more than 4mm. With the base and cement, tile height are typically 10-20mm. Easy way is just look at your current tile height and compare it with the existing laminate flooring you have. Say the tile is completely even with the laminate right now, and you are putting a new 12mm laminate + 2mm underpad on top, the new floor will be 14mm higher than your tile. If your tile is actually 6 mm higher than your current laminate, then the new floor will be 8mm higher than the tile...etc

#3) $700-$1100 without removal & moulding.

#4) Condo removal & disposal probably $500-$900.

If you are half handy with tools, I recommend DIY. Laminates are pretty easy to install.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote