REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 08-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #1
God of Unce

Web Development (Javascript etc.)

Looking to take a course(s) on web development, particularly on Javascript.

Can anyone recommend me a school that does a great job teaching?

This will be out of the company's pocket, so budget is no problem (as long as it's not 5k or so).
Advertisement
Armind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
BCIT use to have a 2 day workshop for Javascript, but looks like they've combined it into a Javascript/jQuery course.
BCIT : : COMP 2015 - Introduction to JavaScript and jQuery

Never took this specific one before, but the instructor's pretty good as long as you can stay with his pace. I've taken maybe 2-3 classes with him, and he blazes through a lot of material. So if you don't keep up with course work or show up expecting a walk over, you're likely fucked.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
God of Unce

BCIT is my first choice so far, it's pretty much a given for these circumstances.

Given that I could take this course and further onto AngularJS course is also appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
BCIT use to have a 2 day workshop for Javascript, but looks like they've combined it into a Javascript/jQuery course.
BCIT : : COMP 2015 - Introduction to JavaScript and jQuery

Never took this specific one before, but the instructor's pretty good as long as you can stay with his pace. I've taken maybe 2-3 classes with him, and he blazes through a lot of material. So if you don't keep up with course work or show up expecting a walk over, you're likely fucked.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:22 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Jason's a great instructor, preferred his teaching as opposed to Jim's (not sure if he's still there anymore).

Have you taken a look at Bootcamps? They might be better options for getting your hands into web development if you don't know too much. I don't know too many off the top of my head in vancouver but this one in TO also has it in vancouver https://lighthouselabs.ca/intro-to-web.

Are you building full web applications or websites on top of other CMS? There's so much more that goes into building web applications than just javascript and a framework. I'd really also look into some basic comp sci to understand how things work at a lower level. If you're aiming to just be a "web developer" then it doesn't matter too much I think, focus more on HTML and CSS and jQuery for some interaction.

Javascript is a great language now too you can pretty much build on any platform
Web: React/Angular2/Ember + Node.js + Mongoose
Mobile: React-Native (really awesome), PhoneGap, Ionic
Desktop: Electron

All of the bot's and scrapers I write are all built with JS.

And ES6 is awesome.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
God of Unce

^ Mainly for websites as of now, with the focus of JavaScript and AngularJS. In which I will utilize the most at work. There's a team of software engineers at work to do the applications and all.

I haven't thought of boot camps yet, definitely gonna do some research for ones around here!
Old 08-19-2016, 06:18 AM   #6

There's a lot of great options online too that you can probably tackle in the same amount of time as a bootcamp. Only drawback that I see from online is that there aren't that many people you can instantly ask for feedback or help. There are also some services like this but not entirely free.

https://www.codecademy.com/learn/javascript
https://www.codeschool.com/learn/javascript
https://teamtreehouse.com/

There's also a handful of subreddits if you're on reddit: /r/learnprogramming /r/webdev /r/frontend /r/javascript to name a few.

There are also a few fundamental of comp sci courses you can view on itunes university. All free and it's from stanford.

Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions too.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #7
God of Unce

My boss told me to start by reading some stuff and try to code. Even if it's messy but works, it's fine. That's when he will consider courses etc.

Do you have any suggestions for reading material?

The CEO of our company didn't go to school for programming, self-taught himself, genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
There's a lot of great options online too that you can probably tackle in the same amount of time as a bootcamp. Only drawback that I see from online is that there aren't that many people you can instantly ask for feedback or help. There are also some services like this but not entirely free.

https://www.codecademy.com/learn/javascript
https://www.codeschool.com/learn/javascript
https://teamtreehouse.com/

There's also a handful of subreddits if you're on reddit: /r/learnprogramming /r/webdev /r/frontend /r/javascript to name a few.

There are also a few fundamental of comp sci courses you can view on itunes university. All free and it's from stanford.

Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions too.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:24 AM   #8

It's really common to find people like that in SV. A lot of the people I know didn't even graduate with a degree in Computer Science but rather just taught themselves on the side. Some don't even have a degree at all.

There's A LOT of resources online. I'd try codeacademy and do their JavaScript course. I'd learn the basics of javascript before jumping into any framework.

You don't necessarily need to learn how to use jQuery as well but it helps to understand how it really works. If you're building something simple, native javascript should suffice. It's been a long time since I've actually used jQuery since I'm mostly using React or Angular.

Once you have a grasp on JavaScript take a dive into a framework and follow along their TodoList example.

Actually, you might want to start with HTML and CSS, just get something to show up on the page and change how it looks with CSS. Javascript can come after since you'll need something on the page before you can start interacting with it.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2016, 08:24 AM   #9
God of Unce

I already got the basics of HTML & CSS, and have started with LESS + Bootstrap.

But I guess reading on it will help me code more clean and efficiently.