REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teggy604 View Post
I would go Heavy duty or commercial transport, and try to get in with the city.
In my first year Heavy Duty class, I got to know a guy who used to be an automotive mechanic for almost 20 years. He wished he took Heavy Duty from the start. Just anecdotal, but he mentioned the money wasn't nearly as good for him, plus he was really having to work himself to the bone.

As for getting in with the city, you only have two options. Get hired as a serviceman changing oil and doing grease jobs, wait your time and hopefully get an apprenticeship, OR get hired as a journeyman. They prefer Heavy Duty.

Source: I'm an HD mechanic for the CoV
Advertisement

THE ROCK: "What's your favorite donut?"
DETECTIVE #2: "Jelly."
THE ROCK: "Oh, you like jelly. Well, jelly's a good one. The Rock says this; write this down. When you leave here, go down to Dunkin Donuts, get the biggest jelly donut you can find!"
(crowd pops louder)
LAWLER: "Oh, no... this guy's a COP!"
THE ROCK: "Write it down. Hold that jelly donut up, SQUEEZE all the jelly out, squeeze all the-- write it down; you like writing things down-- squeeze all the jelly out, and then-- write this down, you don't want to forget this-- TURN that sumbitch sideways, and stick it STRAIGHT UP your CANDY ASS!"

The Hype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:10 AM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Your example is purely anteotal , but as a technician was he any good? Sounds to me like he worked at a pretty crappy place. You have to be the master of your destiny, if your not being fairly compensated for the work you perform you have to either build your skill set to be earn your keep or go somewhere else that will value your skill set , but life is too short to grind it out for 20 yrs before a career change.

Anyone that recommends going heavy duty why is that?
Is it for the money?
Is it for the work conditions ?
Is it for the job security ?

If it's just for the the highest pay for the given work , I guess there are some people who just look at it as a means to put food on the table but where's the fun in that. It sucks to work with people who have no passion for what they do, it fosters a culture of mediocrecy. It's hard to grow and develop in that kind of environment like that. You are the company you keep, so if you strive to be a god technician work in an environment that will develop and nurture it.

What has your experience been like as a hd mechanic? Maybe you could share some insight into it? How about in a unionized shop?

I have a friend who works for trans link as a hd mechanic and he tells me he's bored out of his mind, imagine working the same bus allllll day long, and the shop environment is just terrible. Due to it being unionized it's filled with a bunch of lazy losers, and hard efficient work is frowned upon because it makes the other guys look bad. The pay is great though for the work you do so he says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hype View Post
In my first year Heavy Duty class, I got to know a guy who used to be an automotive mechanic for almost 20 years. He wished he took Heavy Duty from the start. Just anecdotal, but he mentioned the money wasn't nearly as good for him, plus he was really having to work himself to the bone.

As for getting in with the city, you only have two options. Get hired as a serviceman changing oil and doing grease jobs, wait your time and hopefully get an apprenticeship, OR get hired as a journeyman. They prefer Heavy Duty.

Source: I'm an HD mechanic for the CoV
Iron Chef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:58 AM   #28
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,900 Times in 3,864 Posts
My one suggestion for an automotive tech would be to get experience on as wide a variety of vehicles as possible early in your career, and then specialize in something you've found you like. If you're good at it, learn lots about electrical systems and diagnostics as I've found most mechanics don't know jack shit about either of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?NR View Post
make your living doing something that you love and makes you happy.
Correction, ensure you can get jobs in that field that pays decently first. I know far too many people that went to school for "what they loved" and then found out that what few jobs were available in that field had shit pay.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:45 PM   #29
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

We partnered up for a lot of in class stuff, and he was very knowledgable. IIRC he worked at a dealership, can't remember which. The guy had a family early and hesitated on career moves until now.

If we're talking on an hourly basis, pretty certain an HD mechanic can make more than the other ones.

Definitely NOT for the work conditions, haha. Know how many service calls I've had to fix the D8 dozer at the transfer station? Or all the ridiculous repairs I've had to do to equipment at the landfill on the main dump face? Even servicing the equipment can suck when you have to dig out the tracks.

My experience overall has been a positive one in the trade. I like what I do but my goal is to move into management. What kinda insight are you looking for? All union jobs will have the lazy freeloaders, but our shop really doesn't have those. I know the typical view on "city workers" is that we're a bunch of lazy asses who lean on shovels (or wrenches in my case?) all day but we work hard in the shop. We take pride in our work and in our abilities. The pay is great indeed. I remember in class a bunch of people were talking about their wages and I had to bite my tongue because I made substantially more than they did. Also made me realize how lucky I am to be in this position. Once you're a journeyman though, things kinda level off unless you're somewhere up north or at the docks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Your example is purely anteotal , but as a technician was he any good? Sounds to me like he worked at a pretty crappy place. You have to be the master of your destiny, if your not being fairly compensated for the work you perform you have to either build your skill set to be earn your keep or go somewhere else that will value your skill set , but life is too short to grind it out for 20 yrs before a career change.

Anyone that recommends going heavy duty why is that?
Is it for the money?
Is it for the work conditions ?
Is it for the job security ?

If it's just for the the highest pay for the given work , I guess there are some people who just look at it as a means to put food on the table but where's the fun in that. It sucks to work with people who have no passion for what they do, it fosters a culture of mediocrecy. It's hard to grow and develop in that kind of environment like that. You are the company you keep, so if you strive to be a god technician work in an environment that will develop and nurture it.

What has your experience been like as a hd mechanic? Maybe you could share some insight into it? How about in a unionized shop?

I have a friend who works for trans link as a hd mechanic and he tells me he's bored out of his mind, imagine working the same bus allllll day long, and the shop environment is just terrible. Due to it being unionized it's filled with a bunch of lazy losers, and hard efficient work is frowned upon because it makes the other guys look bad. The pay is great though for the work you do so he says.

THE ROCK: "What's your favorite donut?"
DETECTIVE #2: "Jelly."
THE ROCK: "Oh, you like jelly. Well, jelly's a good one. The Rock says this; write this down. When you leave here, go down to Dunkin Donuts, get the biggest jelly donut you can find!"
(crowd pops louder)
LAWLER: "Oh, no... this guy's a COP!"
THE ROCK: "Write it down. Hold that jelly donut up, SQUEEZE all the jelly out, squeeze all the-- write it down; you like writing things down-- squeeze all the jelly out, and then-- write this down, you don't want to forget this-- TURN that sumbitch sideways, and stick it STRAIGHT UP your CANDY ASS!"

The Hype is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #30
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Just do it.

I regret not completing my apprenticeship back in the day. I have friends now who have been mechanics for 20 years, and they're doing very well for themselves. I remember Jason T when he was a shop grunt at Dale's alignment back in the early 90's. Now he has 10 techs under his belt and is living a wonderful life.

Doing something is better than doing nothing. Plus, with a trade you can pretty much take your ass anywhere and be able to make a living.

Ever considered wrenching in Jamaica?
Get your ticket, and you can do what you want.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #31
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hype View Post
Just anecdotal, but he mentioned the money wasn't nearly as good for him, plus he was really having to work himself to the bone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Your example is purely anteotal , but as a technician was he any good?
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #32
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

If i were to do it again, I would start at an independent shop instead of slaving away as a lot attendant/express. I worked as a volunteer at a indy shop for 3 months before i decided to go to a dealer. the shop cleanliness and wage drew me in. I started in the trade in 2010, and worked at 3 dealers but I would say only the past 3 years really helped me grow as a tech. I'm slated to finish my apprenticeship officially by next year.

I am happy where I am now-- I would say my job is never boring, always challenging, and always learning. Don't blame the trade if you arent happy-- there will always be good and bad work places in any field. It took me a long time of stress and anger to realize that before I left my first dealer, as the service manager refused to sponsor me after months of promises.

Buying tools becomes an addiction, dont let it get to you

Good luck
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: