REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Not ICBC related but just want to add that, paying tax on a privately sold car is fucking retarded.
And its 12% rofl
Advertisement
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #27
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Not ICBC related but just want to add that, paying tax on a privately sold car is fucking retarded.
I couldn't believe it when I sold my bike here. The buyer asked if I was paying the tax and I bert stared him. Was like "what tax?" then I read up. He ended up eating it because I sure as heck wasn't about to.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #28
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
in on ICBC bitching thread.

Moved from AB, transferred my history at got 15% discount. I'm 30 in september with one ticket of 7 km/hr over (2.9 years ago)... ya I know lol and 1 at fault accident fender bender (2.5 years ago) at $3k claim. Mind blown at these rates.

bike insurance went from $390/yr full coverage on an 09 r6 to $1200/yr for basic
car insurance went from $79/month full coverage 07 bmw to $204/month for basic on an 2000 ls teg

like lol and then I find out they charge me interest on my payments of 4.5% because I don't pay for the full year up front. If I pull over $2k out of my TSFA then I lose 5% on that $2k for the year. Strong fuck over by ICBC.
The question, though, is what sort of coverage did you Albertan insurance have? What was your liability value? Deductible? Etc etc. I've seen some super cheap insurance rates around the country (and USA) but once you start reading the fine print it becomes apparent why it's so cheap.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 12:14 PM   #29
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
Seniors really need to have mandatory eye/health checks. I'd trust a 16 year responsible new driver over some blind old person that can't react quickly.
Seniors already have mandatory medical exams to keep their licences. The problem is, it doesn't happen until the driver is 80, and IMO, that's way too old. IMO, it should really be lowered to 65 or earlier.

As much as I hate seeing yet another ICBC rate hike, for some reason, I am not nearly as upset as I was compared to their last 2 hikes. In a News1130 news link on the same topic:

Quote:
ICBC says the rate increase it really needs to cover all the cost increases would amount to 15.5-per cent.
IMO, the provincial government pillaging ICBC's coffers for its own use, the incompetent drivers that shouldn't really be driving in the first place, insurance fraud are bigger culprits here. That is not to say ICBC is without blame, but I see these problems I mentioned as bigger issues that should be addressed first.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #30
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Go look into the Bad drivers thread, That is one of the big reason of rate increases. Bad drivers with N, L and C stickers in there expensive cars crashing. There is alot of older 65 plus year old drivers that drive a hell of alot better then that whole thread let alone some municipalities..
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #31
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I just had to fucking realign my bumper on my 240z due to some asshat. Rates going up, probably because they are claiming a hit and run on their own hit and run. f#^ck I hate bad Parkers lol
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 03:50 PM   #32
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
The question, though, is what sort of coverage did you Albertan insurance have? What was your liability value? Deductible? Etc etc. I've seen some super cheap insurance rates around the country (and USA) but once you start reading the fine print it becomes apparent why it's so cheap.
I had outstanding coverage. I don't cheap out when it comes to that kind of stuff. Full coverage means just that. Rental vehicles, high liability bracket etc. If I crashed into anything and it was my fault it would be repaired at the shop of my choice etc, deductible was $500 most of the time but for my bike it was $250. The bike coverage was the same, full coverage. I was rocking TD meloche monnex. They require you to have post secondary education to even be able to get coverage with them. For a bike with them you have to have 3 years riding experience minimum or have taken a riders course.

I'm back feeling like i'm 18... basic and theft with shit coverage paying close to what I did at that age with minimal experience. Tough pill to swallow at almost 30. Especially on a car worth so little.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:20 PM   #33
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I want the fucking multi car discount. I am paying those assholes more money, they should give me a discount since I am only driving one car at a time. If they had more people with multiple cars there'd be more money in their pockets, but nope, no multi car discount.

Also, BC liberals stop raiding the ICBC money.
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #34
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Thing with seniors too is in the big picture, they don't give a fuck if they get into an accident lol

Your 70+ and get into an accident that's your fault, how much longer are you going to be driving anyways? Lol ICBC will never recoup premiums from seniors who get into accidents because odds are they will never have to insure a vehicle for the required period of time after the accident
Old 08-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #35
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Fuck you young bastards........... I drive better than any of you cunts................

god bless.........

we're paying for all those fucking dishonest assholes who cheat ICBC. Make false claims, etc.

Anyway, the government is hoping rate hikes will pit people against each other. Damn right I'll report fraud.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #36
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, but they had to "level the playing field" for dealerships

The 7% pre-HST tax was bullshit enough
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #37
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
humans like incentives... and monitoring holds the correct individuals accountable for their actions...

1) $50/yr rebate if you have a dashcamera professionally installed with parking mode. If dash camera "failed to operate" at time of incident, driver at time is automatically 60% at fault.

2) $150/yr rebate if "driving monitoring" device is installed to the car's diagnostic port. Rebate level increases for each year of driving that meets "safe" standards as pre-set. (We share our location with Waze, phone number with FB and employment history with Linkedin... plugging this in to save a few dollars shouldn't be an issue)

3) $200 rebate per instance if video footage of a incident is voluntarily shared with ICBC.

4) If #2 is not accepted, automatic increase in premium of $150/yr, with 5.5% yearly premium increase.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #38
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
This won't be a popular opinion but I do think ICBC is getting hit hard with vehicle repair costs. Cars are getting more complicated every year and more expensive to repair. They have to pay the costs of importing parts from the US or other countries with our crappy dollar so they are passing that cost on to us.

The government is addicted to the revenue from private car sales. That won't go away any time soon.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #39
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
4) If #2 is not accepted, automatic increase in premium of $150/yr, with 5.5% yearly premium increase.
What about cars that don't have an OBD2 port?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #40
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urrtoast View Post
Go look into the Bad drivers thread, That is one of the big reason of rate increases. Bad drivers with N, L and C stickers in there expensive cars crashing. There is alot of older 65 plus year old drivers that drive a hell of alot better then that whole thread let alone some municipalities..
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I just had to fucking realign my bumper on my 240z due to some asshat. Rates going up, probably because they are claiming a hit and run on their own hit and run. f#^ck I hate bad Parkers lol
Or even claims like this: http://www.revscene.net/forums/71010...al-damage.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
I want the fucking multi car discount. I am paying those assholes more money, they should give me a discount since I am only driving one car at a time. If they had more people with multiple cars there'd be more money in their pockets, but nope, no multi car discount.
This would never work unless each driver requires to be insured themselves (ie. Ontario). There's already way too many cars out there that's bought with Mommy/Daddy's name, insured with Mommy/Daddy's -43% discount as the primary driver.....only to be driven by a 18 yr old teen with an N sign 364 days a year.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #41
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
how about ICBC have incentives for those running dash cams saving them resource & time
I do 98% of the legwork anyways

didn't they also want to rid the collector status too?

My experience with ICBC have all been reasonable...but these little things and the cost irks me.

I welcome options...everytime I compare my insurance to other motorists coveragein AB/USA
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:04 PM   #42
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
didn't they also want to rid the collector status too?
They weren't getting rid of collector status, they just want to push it back 5 years futher, because there is a lot of cars starting to come into the collector status range. They are worried about every john, dick and harry insuring their crap as "collector" and driving around everywhere (except work), for damn near free insurance.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 10:05 PM   #43
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
I want the fucking multi car discount. I am paying those assholes more money, they should give me a discount since I am only driving one car at a time.
There's some European country which has a wicked system where you pay a minimal fee to plate and register your car(s), and then you buy insurance for yourself. This insurance follows you, not the vehicle, so if you borrow my car and total it the claim is going through your insurance. Why they don't use this system everywhere is beyond me.

Quote:
humans like incentives
Sorry but those all sound like terrible "incentives".

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
This would never work unless each driver requires to be insured themselves (ie. Ontario). There's already way too many cars out there that's bought with Mommy/Daddy's name, insured with Mommy/Daddy's -43% discount as the primary driver.....only to be driven by a 18 yr old teen with an N sign 364 days a year.
I thought doing that invalidates the insurance? Stuff like that is why I always get the excess underinsured protection. Between N drivers breaking restrictions, people breaking the <25 years old term, Alberta plated cars that have never left BC, and incorrectly listed primary drivers there's a lot of people out there that don't have valid insurance.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:11 PM   #44
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
there is a lot of cars starting to come into the collector status range. They are worried about every john, dick and harry insuring their crap as "collector" and driving around everywhere (except work), for damn near free insurance.
it has to be in super mint state though? if not a < MY1991 Cavalier/Tercel qualifies right now
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:29 PM   #45
RS controls my life!

I had to renew my plates last month so I was getting some quotes on some other vehicles because mine is on its lost legs. Here's some of the quotes I got for other cars compared to mine with the same minimal coverage+1,000,000 liabilty.
2014 subaru crosstrek-150$ a month
2009 subaru impreza sti-175$ a month
2001 subaru legacy gt-b twin turbo JDM-148$
my piece of shit 2002 subaru impreza ts that I paid 2000$ for-148$

What annoys me is how it seemed like the class of the car didn't even matter among these quotes. A god damn RHD car with two god damn turbos shouldn't cost the same as a beat up 2000$ impreza. I got a quote from a company in alberta and my impreza would cost something like 78$ a month.

I also found it really ridiculous that there wasn't even a inspection of the car to prove that it was road worthy. The car could literally be on fire at the moment i renew my insurance and i could still get a new tag. Makes zero god damn sense.

Along with all the points made by the Original poster I have a few more suggestions to stabilize the rates.
1.If you drive with a dashcam running you should get a 50% discount. You're making it so ridiculously easy for any claim adjuster to do his job.

2.There should be mandatory driving tests every 10 years to renew your knowledge of the roads. Driving today wasn't like it was 20 years ago and all those bad habits that drivers pick up won't go away unless they are barred from driving because of them.

3.If you drive a luxury car or a super car you should pay a high end premium. I don't know what the rates for a mclaren p1 might be but if an STI is only 20$ more a month then the bone stock impreza then something is clearly wrong with the system.

4.Mandatory vehicle inspections every time you renew plates on a car older then 15 years. Get all those shit heaps that break down on the alex fraser off the damn road. I think this should apply to commercial vehicles every second year as well.

5.if you fail your drivers test you cannot retake it for 3 months. This amount of time doubles each time you fail it. Also, in alberta you pay for the road test. Not sure if that is a thing here.

To be honest I should just send this to an MLA or something. Writing this crap on a forum isn't really going to do anything besides be a vent. Since I've moved to this province ICBC and the health system has baffled and annoyed me beyond reason.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #46
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymans View Post
I had to renew my plates last month so I was getting some quotes on some other vehicles because mine is on its lost legs. Here's some of the quotes I got for other cars compared to mine with the same minimal coverage+1,000,000 liabilty.
2014 subaru crosstrek-150$ a month
2009 subaru impreza sti-175$ a month
2001 subaru legacy gt-b twin turbo JDM-148$
my piece of shit 2002 subaru impreza ts that I paid 2000$ for-148$

What annoys me is how it seemed like the class of the car didn't even matter among these quotes. A god damn RHD car with two god damn turbos shouldn't cost the same as a beat up 2000$ impreza. I got a quote from a company in alberta and my impreza would cost something like 78$ a month.
You would be more surprised if you expanded your research of quotes on other vehicles of the same size, but different brand etc. I don't have the exact example, but ie. a Honda Civic might be more expensive to insure, than a Toyota Camry/Avalon/RAV4 etc.

Quote:
Along with all the points made by the Original poster I have a few more suggestions to stabilize the rates.
1.If you drive with a dashcam running you should get a 50% discount. You're making it so ridiculously easy for any claim adjuster to do his job.
This isn't going to work either. How do you determine if the dash cam is functional, of quality videos, or even operating at times. Or how about when there's an accident when the owner is at-fault, but refused to provide the video as I would be against him/her.

The only (mere) discount ICBC gives is for cars having a passive electronic immobilizers.

One could argue there should be a discount for those vehicles parked indoor inside garages / gated underground parking etc as opposed to the ones parked on the street prone to vandalism and break-ins too. But it's just too hard to administrate. What if someone have a garage at home, but choose to park it outside anyways? Or only indoor 5 days a year? What if someone have a garage but the car is spent mostly at work, or god-forbid - parking lots in Richmond?

Quote:
2.There should be mandatory driving tests every 10 years to renew your knowledge of the roads. Driving today wasn't like it was 20 years ago and all those bad habits that drivers pick up won't go away unless they are barred from driving because of them.
Totally agree. Every 5 years for DL, and every 10 years for road test.
Think of the extra "revenue" ICBC could generate from these road tests!

Quote:
3.If you drive a luxury car or a super car you should pay a high end premium. I don't know what the rates for a mclaren p1 might be but if an STI is only 20$ more a month then the bone stock impreza then something is clearly wrong with the system.
Already exist for luxury cars. And a 16% "premium' on an Impreza vs STI sounds reasonable.

Quote:
4.Mandatory vehicle inspections every time you renew plates on a car older then 15 years. Get all those shit heaps that break down on the alex fraser off the damn road. I think this should apply to commercial vehicles every second year as well.
There used to be AirCare, before you came to BC.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:06 AM   #47
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

My garage policy went up too. Committed to lowest possible cost my ass. I hate that letter they sent me about the rate hike. 5.5%. goddamn

So this is another rate hike on top of that 5.5 from May of this year? And that would make this the 2nd year in a row trying to increase?
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #48
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post

Sorry but those all sound like terrible "incentives".

No problem. You can be one of the drivers that pay the 5.5% increase each year. The beauty of giving people options

Also why are they terrible?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #49
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
What about cars that don't have an OBD2 port?
Exemptions made available to cars that do not have OBD 2 port (in my example #2 and #4 don't apply).

Most rules are made for the "majority", I'd find it hard to believe most cars in BC don't have OBD 2 port.

There are always ways to make everything work!

Maybe we should start a change.org petition.
What's ICBC's up front cost? It's just the cost of the driving monitoring device.. and maybe some back end development for the new rebates. Shouldn't be that hard, they already have the "passive immobilizer" option there...

Old 08-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #50
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
Since you asked.

Quote:
1) $50/yr rebate if you have a dashcamera professionally installed with parking mode. If dash camera "failed to operate" at time of incident, driver at time is automatically 60% at fault.
No need for a "pro" install when it's only 2 wires to hook one up. If a hardware failure makes me instantly 60% at fault you've just killed any incentive to having a dash cam. The cameras and cards typically only last a few years in the heat and cold we see, and most people aren't proactive enough to be checking that their camera and card are working on a regular basis.

Quote:
2) $150/yr rebate if "driving monitoring" device is installed to the car's diagnostic port. Rebate level increases for each year of driving that meets "safe" standards as pre-set. (We share our location with Waze, phone number with FB and employment history with Linkedin... plugging this in to save a few dollars shouldn't be an issue)
What kind of information could you get from a diagnostic port that tells you if someone's actually a "safe" driver? Nothing in there tells you if the person runs red lights or makes unsafe lane changes. I also don't share any of that crap you listed.

Quote:
3) $200 rebate per instance if video footage of a incident is voluntarily shared with ICBC.
If someone's not at fault aren't they going to do that anyways?

Quote:
If you get a $150 discount if you have it, and $150 premium if you don't, you're saying you should have to pay $300/yr more if you don't have a stupid datalogger that doesn't actually prove you're a safe driver?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote