REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

LED headlight or HID

Anyone tried LED bulb for headlight low beam? I have HID, but my bulb seem to die every 12-18 month.

How is LED output vs HID 4300k/5000k. I know LED is a plug and play, and I don't need the ballast and relay kit no more.
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2016, 10:42 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
what brand of HIDs are you running?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
If you have reflector housing headlights, definitely recommend LED headlight kit. They come with built in heatsinks to dissipate heat compared to HIDs to increase longevity. That doesn't mean they are flawless, but just another feature that makes them advantageous. There is also anti-glare led headlights that doesn't blind oncoming vehicles, which is another advantage compared to HID's.

For light output, it would depend on the lumen output, the higher the lumen, the brighter it is.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #4

I have projector housing, and I don't know which brand HID, (probably some made in china brand, I think it starts with the letter "H......." I don't have the box for it anymore
Old 09-01-2016, 11:23 PM   #5

im no expert but i would try more reputable HIDs since you already have ballast/relay...xenon depot have lots of reviews on their products...morimoto is also known for good build quality

chances are they're made in the same factory as yours but with much tighter QC

i think most HID bulbs aren't rated by hours but actually how many times it turns on and off. Which is why i dont flash my bixenon high-beams during the day...I'd assume the quick back and forth btween on/off when it's not fully warmed up could hurt the bulb's lifesspan.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:12 AM   #6

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
I'm running led on halogen projectors on my taco. Light throw is shorter but much cleaner light. Reviews thus far said the light may turn dim after a year or so but they are $100/pair.

Less are plug and play for us and the driver is much smaller than the ballast. However, cheap kits do give off EM interference.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
I have projector housing, and I don't know which brand HID, (probably some made in china brand, I think it starts with the letter "H......." I don't have the box for it anymore
There could be many variables affecting the longevity of the bulbs you are using, which you've indicated die around 12-18 months. Example, how often you are using them, heat, poor quality built etc.

In terms of "made in China", a lot of the products out there are made in China, but re-branded. I have bought many car products from North American companies and to only find the same item from China source for way cheaper.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
im no expert but i would try more reputable HIDs since you already have ballast/relay...xenon depot have lots of reviews on their products...morimoto is also known for good build quality

chances are they're made in the same factory as yours but with much tighter QC

i think most HID bulbs aren't rated by hours but actually how many times it turns on and off. Which is why i dont flash my bixenon high-beams during the day...I'd assume the quick back and forth btween on/off when it's not fully warmed up could hurt the bulb's lifesspan.
Your last sentence is what puzzles me. My HID acts as my DRL and also low beam at night. But funny thing is my car turns off the DRL when the turn signal is being used on the same side. Turn signal can be on and off many many times during the day, so which ever side or both sides of my HID is constantly being on and off, on and off.... I wonder if that kills the HID faster. I have never had it lasting more than 15 month.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #9

so your car has one set of HID that is DRL, low and high beam? 3 duties? or just DRL/low? interesting

it's just what I read, I've no substantial evidence to back it up.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #10
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

GF's mini coupe is like that. HID on all the time acting as DRL and low beam.
Your setup isn't good for aftermarket HID setup. (where as your DRL turns off when you turn signaling)
You should look into hooking up your HID straight to your 12v battery terminals. You can look it up online, I had it done before, works wonder, no flickers nada
Jonydakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,120 Times in 991 Posts
If your car uses the low beams as DRLs, it will destroy the HIDs really quicky, the on/off hurts, but the PWM that cars use to dim bulbs for DRL is what really kills HIDs. It probably won't matter if you get better HIDs, they'll blow just as quick.

I'm not sure if these new LEDs are good with PWM, but my understanding is it should be good.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
If your car uses the low beams as DRLs, it will destroy the HIDs really quicky, the on/off hurts, but the PWM that cars use to dim bulbs for DRL is what really kills HIDs. It probably won't matter if you get better HIDs, they'll blow just as quick.

I'm not sure if these new LEDs are good with PWM, but my understanding is it should be good.
What is PWM? if I may ask?
My Low beam is my DRL, but DRL and lowbeam seems to be same intensity, DRL doesn't look less bright during the day.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:50 PM   #13

update: just installed a pair of LED headlight bulbs into my low beam.

What i saw :
1)Work instantly ; no warm-up period.
2)LED is dimmer when in DRL mode, at night with full low beam switch on it is much brighter....

I didn't know why, but the LED is just a plug and play. there is no modification and I didnt use anything from the HID kit , no relay, no canbus..etc
Old 09-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #14

how's the heat? no heatsink?
price and link?
i will be helping family upgrade from halogens with projectors...if i dont have to bother with relay and ballast, that would be better.
would be nice if you could provide a cut-off photo
Old 09-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #15

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
update: just installed a pair of LED headlight bulbs into my low beam.

What i saw :
1)Work instantly ; no warm-up period.
2)LED is dimmer when in DRL mode, at night with full low beam switch on it is much brighter....

I didn't know why, but the LED is just a plug and play. there is no modification and I didnt use anything from the HID kit , no relay, no canbus..etc
hmm. i may look into LED for my truck. but i honestly hate being that douche with hid drl's... if the LED actually are dimmer with DRL and brighter when using low beam im in. but again, with my truck its a pita because one bulb is drl/low beam and high beam...
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,120 Times in 991 Posts
Quote:
What is PWM? if I may ask?
My Low beam is my DRL, but DRL and lowbeam seems to be same intensity, DRL doesn't look less bright during the day.
PWM stands for pulse width modulation. Your car cannot just "lower the voltage" to give dimmer light. It instead cycles the power on and off really quickly provide a dimmer light. For a regular lightbulb that's not a problem, for you HIDs they are dead meat. It's not abnormal to have it cycle up a couple hundred times a minute. That's your car turning your lights on and off a couple hundred times a minute.

LEDs tend to "look brighter" most of the time, but, don't quote me as I don't know the right terminology, but their light seem to "diffuse" easier, and the "throw" won't be as far. For close distances it's great, but if you want to look farther down the it might not be the best.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #17

for some reason,
the LED that I have in my headlight is less bright during DRL mode and if I switch to headlight on (manual switch) the LEd looks brighter.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #18
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
for some reason,
the LED that I have in my headlight is less bright during DRL mode and if I switch to headlight on (manual switch) the LEd looks brighter.
Generally DRL is at half power
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #19
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

The Brightsource brand is the best in the Canadian market. They have a number of vehicle specific kits that come with a harness to run direct battery power to the lights or have a device turning low power high beam drl to full power low beam drl. We have them at Overseas Auto HID Conversion Kit | Xenon HID Kits - Brightsourcehid.com

210 E 4th at Main
Vancouver BC V5T 1G5
Telephone - 604 879 6288
Email jim@overseas-auto.com
Toll Free - 1 800 665 5031

Text 604-836-7278

http://www.overseas-auto.com
http://www.piaalights.com
http://www.weberjets.com
http://www.brightsourcehid.com

MSN Messenger z5551212@hotmail.com

We take Interac, Cash, Visa, MC, Amex,

Open 8-5 Monday to Friday, 11-1 Saturday

We have been supplying quality accessories, parts, tires, wheels for 51 years.
Overseas Auto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,906 Times in 753 Posts
I used these as a 'test mule'...maybe not the best choice for dedicated low beams but I had to satisfy my curiousity. I ended up taking them out of the CIVIC and using them in the RDX as the bulbs for the fog lamps (which look fantastic!).

in the 2016 civic, the light was very short, very narrow and was not adequate for functional purposes. I will be exploring HID for the civic.

P6 3200LM 25W 6000K H11

here are sample shots of the above bulb installed in a 2016 civic:

Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #21
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Glad I saw this thread. I've been looking into HID kits for my 2nd gen Xterra, but balked at the work to modify my reflector housings.

What LED bulbs (brand, price) did you end up going with? Locally sourced or online?
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
I used these as a 'test mule'...maybe not the best choice for dedicated low beams but I had to satisfy my curiousity. I ended up taking them out of the CIVIC and using them in the RDX as the bulbs for the fog lamps (which look fantastic!).

in the 2016 civic, the light was very short, very narrow and was not adequate for functional purposes. I will be exploring HID for the civic.

P6 3200LM 25W 6000K H11
3200 LM output is too low for headlight usage. You'll need something around 4800 LM + at least to be decently usable for headlight use. The ones you have would be good for fog lamps as you mentioned. My buddy buys a lot of different leds to play around, so I've played around with various lumen outputs from 2400LM all the way to 12000 LM with his lights.

Higher LM levels translate to more heat and reduced longevity. Just gotta play around with different styles of LED setups to find the optimal one since many places claim their LEDs to be the "best" with all their marketing. Until you have it plugged into your own housing, hard to judge based from online videos/photos since each housing projects light differently.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #23

just ordered the new Xenon Depot LEDs...will let you guys know how it does in Toyota halogen projectors.

5700K, 4000 lumens, Phillips LEDs and fanless...XD seems to be pretty reputable (they're on a lot of car forums) and they're also Canadian...pricey though!

on someone's Accord

Spoiler!

Morimoto 2stroke LED H11 or Xenondepot NEW H11B XTREME LED HEADLIGHT KIT - Drive Accord Honda Forums
Old 09-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #24
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,906 Times in 753 Posts
here are the 25W 3200LM 6000K P6 LEDs in the RDX fog lamp housings.

Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2016, 05:58 AM   #25
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Where did you purchase them? I'm looking to upgrade the fogs and reverse lights on my truck and have seen some massive price differences between vled and superbrightleds.

Vled 140
http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbe...5-led-921.html
http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/h11/h11-lmz.html

Superbrightleds 62 dollars
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ofit-lan/3305/
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ed-tower/1278/

Edit: I think I was selecting replacement led fog lights for superbrightleds and should have been looking at conversion kits.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...fan/2115/4803/

Cost difference is 112 vs 140 now. Any reason why fogs need a conversion kit while back up lights don't?

I'm assuming vled applies more LEDs per bulb, which is why they are more, as well as they seem more branded than superbrightleds. Are they worth the 125% cost increase tho? Any input is appreciated.

FYI for my 9007 bulbs I plan on going with piaa xtremewhite because I would rather have a dot headlight.

Thanks

Last edited by JHatta; 09-30-2016 at 06:09 AM.
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote