REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-30-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Mice in the balcony

Balcony is on the 2nd floor facing an alley on a townhouse complex.

What bugs me is they seem to hang around my balcony (and my neighbors) at night. I sweep my balcony every few days and there's rat shit here and there.

Last year, I covered up my bbq over the winter and found that they chewed through the bottom in the spring and there was rat shit everywhere. This coming winter, I wanna be ahead of the game and not have to worry about rats hanging out in my balcony and chewing through my bbq cover.

What's the best way to make sure mice don't hang around my balcony at night? Mouse traps? There's an outlet in there as well, do ultrasonic repellants work? I've got an indoor cat and a dog, will this affect them?
Any tips or suggestions?
Advertisement
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
How are they getting up to the 2nd floor? Thatd be the first thing I'd address.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #3

I'm assuming the two columns that support the balcony. They've got that fake brick facade so it'd be pretty easy for the rats from the ground to climb up. But for all I know, they're just straight up climbing the siding or the gutter pipe.

I've thought about putting some sort of screen mesh around the balcony railing but apparently they'll just chew through that like its nothing.

I don't have plants in my balcony or anything, just a patio table/chairs, my grill and some car wash buckets.
I might try to bleach it over the weekend, apparently the smell of it keeps em off for a bit.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
Old 08-30-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
I swear the Vancouver mice / rat problem is getting worse every year.

The first 2 things I'd do are:

1) Clean out your yard and the vicinity in the alley as much as possible. Mice and rats love dark, covered places. If you make everywhere as open and bright as possible, they'd have less incentives to hang around your area.

2) Wash your balcony and all the hard places in your area with bleach-diluted water. Mice and rats pee everywhere to establish their presence and sexual availability, and they prefer returning to places that have their familiar smell / territory. You need to wash off that pee and scent to deter them from coming back.

Once those 2 things are done, you need to check around your premises, and in particular, your building to make sure that there are no holes, gaps, or openings anywhere that a mice might pass through. Remember, if a mice can squeeze its head through the gap, his entire body can get through, and these little fxxking critters can fit through some seriously tiny openings. If for any reason they managed to get into your building, you are basically GG and the battle to eradicate them has just gotten significantly more difficult. Or as soon as they start breeding on your grounds / building -- and these things love to fxxk and make babies -- again, you're basically GG, and the difficulty to get rid of them goes way up again.

Other than that, my personal preference is to use traps instead of poison.

Good luck!
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Copper mesh apparently works to keep them out.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #6

Yes, I forgot to mention. But pointing out the obvious, you want to make sure you seal off any openings where the mice and rat might squeeze through. And remember, it better be something sturdy cuz they are very good at biting through / grinding away things.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #7

Vicinity is pretty good, my neighbours and the strata keep things pretty neat for the most part.
There's a restaurant across the alley so their dumpster is most likely the food source.

I'll give bleaching a shot since that seems like the simplest solution for now...in terms of copper/mice resistant mesh, where do you guys get this and how much?

Worst comes to worst, I'll start setting up old school mouse traps. I can't do poison...there are a few outdoor cats that roam around. Plus it's a pain in the ass cus the rats don't necessarily die right after ingesting poison.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #8

It was a few years ago when I had to deal with this mess, and my old man carved / planed some wooden blanks to block off the gaps we had leading to the garage. So I didn't use any mesh things to block off holes.

Also when you are washing / bleaching, make sure you give anywhere along a wall and the ground near by a good scrub. In the absence of cover, the rodents will still prefer the sense of security offer by the path along a wall, as opposed to an open crossing. So they will leave the most scent there.

If you are laying traps, place those along the wall on what you'd expect to be the path they walk through. For me, mechanical traps with peanut butter bait worked best. Glue trap kind of worked as well, but not nearly as much as the good ol' mechanical trap. But the mechanical trap leaves a gruesome mess, so be prepared for that.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #9

yeah...i've had to deal with em at my parents place before
the old school trap definitely works better than the sticky trap

i think they've evolved to realize that those sticky things are death.
i learned that the trick to the trap is to lay out a bunch of them (3 or more), with bait (peanut butter/oats) but NOT set them yet. Wait a few days and see if the mice approach it and eat from it. Once you notice that they're eating out of it regularly, set the trap. I set 8+ at my parents' old place with this method and almost all of them caught a rat within a couple of days. The clean up is always a bitch though.

Still curious about the ultrasonic things. I know the building management at my workplace uses em, but I'm not sure how they are for home/balcony use especially with pets nearby.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #10
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Instead of mesh, how bout some flashing, so there's nothing to grip to?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #11

From my research, the ultrasonic stuff seems to work for some people, but there were definitely more reports that weren't effective at all. Esp considering the price difference between this electronic gizmo and the good ol' spring trap, the decision was pretty easy for me.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Instead of mesh, how bout some flashing, so there's nothing to grip to?
googled "balcony flashing"

was not disappointed

not a bad idea...i might consider it...i'll have to take a good look at the balcony and exactly how it's laid out to see if that can work.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #13
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
I'm not sure if it's true, but apparently they hate the smell of moth balls, so popping a few of those in your BBQ for the winter might help. I'd also check it once a month in the winter to make sure they don't build a nest or something in there.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:50 PM   #14
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,818 Times in 2,505 Posts
you can be on the 2nd floor in a lawn chair with a can of beer

first 25 seconds

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #15
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

A friend that lived in a townhouse complex had mice on their patios. It turns out the mice were getting around by climbing through the attics.