REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 08-30-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Are people still signing 2 year agreements?

For the people that don't already know, you're not actually saving any money when you sign a 2 year agreement with a phone company and going on their super expensive plans. Phone companies always advertised that you'll save $500 if you go on their premium plans, yada yada yada, but in fact, they're lying to you.

The reason why the big 3 (telus, rogers, bell) average plan starts at $90 (if you want a decent amount of data) is because the price of the subsidy for the phone is built into it, they just don't tell you.

Companies that have a "tab" is basically telling you that you're not saving money on the phone. The discount is divided into 24 and added back into your monthly bill. Worst part is that, when your agreement ends, they continue to charge you the tab without telling you and some customers are too oblivious to even notice it.

So do yourself and everybody a favor and stop signing these two year agreements, they're robbing you blind. Buying a phone outright and looking for cheaper plans elsewhere is a better option for you. Otherwise, look for cheaper and older version phones on promotions at third party kiosk like Wal-mart where they also give you a gift card.
Advertisement
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
thanks but I'm still saving on my retention plan on a 2 year vs no agreement and full phone buyout.

just depends what plans people have and if its worth the increase and agreement or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
For the people that don't already know, you're not actually saving any money when you sign a 2 year agreement with a phone company and going on their super expensive plans. Phone companies always advertised that you'll save $500 if you go on their premium plans, yada yada yada, but in fact, they're lying to you.

The reason why the big 3 (telus, rogers, bell) average plan starts at $90 (if you want a decent amount of data) is because the price of the subsidy for the phone is built into it, they just don't tell you.

Companies that have a "tab" is basically telling you that you're not saving money on the phone. The discount is divided into 24 and added back into your monthly bill. Worst part is that, when your agreement ends, they continue to charge you the tab without telling you and some customers are too oblivious to even notice it.

So do yourself and everybody a favor and stop signing these two year agreements, they're robbing you blind. Buying a phone outright and looking for cheaper plans elsewhere is a better option for you. Otherwise, look for cheaper and older version phones on promotions at third party kiosk like Wal-mart where they also give you a gift card.

That's all well and good for the savvy people, but there's a large chunk of the general public that want the latest phone for the least out of pocket cost. Unfortunately, people need to learn to live within their means.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #4

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
I refuse to sign 2 year agreements now. I don't mind being locked in for a set term but as mentioned, I end up paying more money down the road by signing a 2 year contract with a max plan than I would if I buy the phone outright 3rd party. I think it'll be nearly $500 extra in a period of 24 months if I locked myself into a max plan just to get a discount on a phone.

I'll buy what I can afford rather than extending my budget today to obtain something I can't afford now and pay more money in the long stretch.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #5
God of Unce

There's really no point of me signing a contract.

With my retentions plan, I'm not eligible for any phone "upgrades".

BS.
Armind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:47 AM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
i wish the big three would start doing data roll over on plans already
there are some months when i don't use my data for squat

i haven't looked around for a plan for a while, i signed a corporate 3 year contract that's expiring this year...i have every intention of keeping this plan so I will be buying my next phone outright. Hell, if Rogers had a 20 year contract for my plan, I'd happily sign it.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #7

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
nope haven't signed a phone contract in years. Just been doing what OP said about buying a phone outright and finding the cheapest plan.

It does hurt a bit looking at a phone that costs like $1100 outright lol
Old 08-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
I'm happy with my plan and don't mind locking in for another 2 years, when I'm not going to change it and it includes a subsidized phone.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
anyone here with a corporate plan?

will the plan still cost the same after the term is up? Or are they free to bump your costs up? (assuming you don't get a new phone or sign another agreement with them).
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #10
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I don't sign on phone contracts either. I'd lose my amazing plan if I were to sign onto one.
I just buy the newest phones through craigslist for a good deal
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #11
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
anyone here with a corporate plan?

will the plan still cost the same after the term is up? Or are they free to bump your costs up? (assuming you don't get a new phone or sign another agreement with them).
I am on corporate plan. Cost is still the same but they try everything to get you to upgrade or give you very unreasonable rates (IE. roaming data was about 15c/mb) or something along those lines.

I believe they will try to bump the cost up at some point. Friend's parents is on a grandfathered plan but recently received notice saying they will have a price increase.
mdnx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #12
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
my corporate plan went form $54 tax in to $65 tax in, still a better price than what is offered currently to the public
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
That's all well and good for the savvy people, but there's a large chunk of the general public that want the latest phone for the least out of pocket cost. Unfortunately, people need to learn to live within their means.
I pretty much explained in my OP how a 2 year agreement isn't going to save you any money unless, like others have mentioned, you're getting a retention plan.

Too much hype gets put into these new devices yet their difference in features does not equal extra $500 in difference.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #14
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
well, if every person thought like OP, how will the phone company be able to offer the savvy ones their retention plans? c'mon guys, THINK before you post... geeze.. its 2016.

We need enough people to keep the ARPU up, so a handful of us can keep paying 2005 rates.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 08:09 PM   #15

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
I pretty much explained in my OP how a 2 year agreement isn't going to save you any money unless, like others have mentioned, you're getting a retention plan.

Too much hype gets put into these new devices yet their difference in features does not equal extra $500 in difference.
Oh I read it. Like tiger_handheld mentioned, you're the small handful. The majority of the public just doesn't want to pay for a handset, yet they want the newest device.

I agree though, manufacturers price/hype up the devices way too much. Look at the hype for Apples September 7th announcement.

*Disclaimer* I do work for a telecom, but not sales. Not all of us lie to customers about their options.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #16

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
i wont be giving up my koodoo manitoba/saskatchewan plan unless koodoo takes it away. i honestly have zero issue playing up to $1k for a phone mostly because i'm stupid. lol. i dont waste money on clothes or expensive nights out so i just buy a new phone whenever i feel like it.

at the moment i'm switching back and forth between using a galaxy s7 and nexus 6p. at the same time, i'm also thinking about selling both and buying a note 7.

yeah, i'm weird.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2016, 04:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
well, if every person thought like OP, how will the phone company be able to offer the savvy ones their retention plans? c'mon guys, THINK before you post... geeze.. its 2016.

We need enough people to keep the ARPU up, so a handful of us can keep paying 2005 rates.
If you've done some research, you'll find that mobile carriers don't pay per MB of data transmitted, nor minutes, nor SMS text. They pay for bandwidth, as in how much GB can be downloaded at once. This is supported by the number of infrastructure they have around the city/country.

People have to stop falling into the sales gimmick of these plans and contracts, thinking they are saving $500 on a note 7, when they're not.

A 6gb plan does not actually cost $100 just because It's TWENTY SIXTEEN and that is the so called "rate". It was just a numbers game and they could come up with any price they wanted, as long as the revenue they generate is not less than the cost to maintain their infrastructure. It is also a numbers game when they are selling so-and-so GB for $100. They can up it to 10 GB, 20 GB, etc. and the cost for maintaining their infrastructure would not increase.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2016, 09:10 AM   #18
God of Unce

Anyone on retentions successfully got a phone upgrade by renewing their contracts?
Old 08-31-2016, 12:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
my corporate plan went form $54 tax in to $65 tax in, still a better price than what is offered currently to the public
Wow same here. We switched to Telus and their plan is $62 or so and only 5gb of data vs $50 from bell with 6gb. Pretty happy I signed onto the Bell one a few months before we switched over and hoping I can renew it (with phone upgrade discount) in 2017
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:10 PM   #20
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
If you've done some research, you'll find that mobile carriers don't pay per MB of data transmitted, nor minutes, nor SMS text. They pay for bandwidth, as in how much GB can be downloaded at once. This is supported by the number of infrastructure they have around the city/country.

People have to stop falling into the sales gimmick of these plans and contracts, thinking they are saving $500 on a note 7, when they're not.

A 6gb plan does not actually cost $100 just because It's TWENTY SIXTEEN and that is the so called "rate". It was just a numbers game and they could come up with any price they wanted, as long as the revenue they generate is not less than the cost to maintain their infrastructure. It is also a numbers game when they are selling so-and-so GB for $100. They can up it to 10 GB, 20 GB, etc. and the cost for maintaining their infrastructure would not increase.
I agree with everything you said in the original post and this post. All I'm saying is that we need the people who sign up on the $100 plans willingly (or for new phone) so Robelus can still give out $55 retention plans to retention clients and also show a healthy profit for shareholders. It's basic math after all...

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:29 PM   #21
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
meh.. i think the only way i would save money is switching to some 3rd rate carrier now

me and le wifey pay $182 a month for unlimited everything and 10GB shared data now on Robbers

2 year commitements may not save me big $$$, but paying $600-700 for a new iphone the day it's released as opposed to 1100-1400 upfront feels a little better. Also outside of insane corporate plans basically no one i know has a better plan than we do, so i might as well reup. I'm going to be with rogers 2 years from now, and i've been saying that for the past 14
Old 08-31-2016, 09:20 PM   #22

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
I agree with everything you said in the original post and this post. All I'm saying is that we need the people who sign up on the $100 plans willingly (or for new phone) so Robelus can still give out $55 retention plans to retention clients and also show a healthy profit for shareholders. It's basic math after all...
When is the last time you dealt with retentions and managed to get a competitive price point with a well subsidized phone?
Old 08-31-2016, 11:07 PM   #23
I bringith the lowerballerith

Times have changed.

If you don't have a grandfathered plan, regardless of a contract or not, the going rate for data is about 4GB for $100. Unless there is good forecast that prices will drop, I don't see why the masses shouldn't sign up for 2 years contract for a few hundred off.

Its just completely bullshit because many years ago 60$ for 6gb was the norm but now its the only technology/business commodity that i know of that got more expensive with time.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #24

Quote:
You can theorize this in two ways, more new customers, could also mean less retention plans because they're raking in more money now, and want to get rid of people on old grandfather plans.

Or, less new customers, more retention to keep old customers.

I can bet my money that if they don't get as much new customers as they expect to in an annual year, they will sell you retention plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
meh.. i think the only way i would save money is switching to some 3rd rate carrier now

me and le wifey pay $182 a month for unlimited everything and 10GB shared data now on Robbers

2 year commitements may not save me big $$$, but paying $600-700 for a new iphone the day it's released as opposed to 1100-1400 upfront feels a little better. Also outside of insane corporate plans basically no one i know has a better plan than we do, so i might as well reup. I'm going to be with rogers 2 years from now, and i've been saying that for the past 14
Your plan is only as good as it suits your need, you cannot say it's "better". I use an average 3 GB out of my 5 GB every month, and I'm paying half the amount you're paying for one line. So to me, my plan is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
Times have changed.

If you don't have a grandfathered plan, regardless of a contract or not, the going rate for data is about 4GB for $100. Unless there is good forecast that prices will drop, I don't see why the masses shouldn't sign up for 2 years contract for a few hundred off.

Its just completely bullshit because many years ago 60$ for 6gb was the norm but now its the only technology/business commodity that i know of that got more expensive with time.
The going rate is as much as you're willing to pay. There is no blue book that says 4 GB is worth $100. If you look hard enough, and some of us already have, we're paying $48 for 5 GB.

I just don't understand how people cannot scrounge for deals online. Maybe they're lazy or just oblivious.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #25
God of Unce

6GB for $30