REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   9/11 Anniversary 15 year Tribute (https://www.revscene.net/forums/710282-9-11-anniversary-15-year-tribute.html)

Digitalis 09-09-2016 07:24 AM

9/11 Anniversary 15 year Tribute

My Contribution

:fuckyea::fuckyea::fuckyea:

Verdasco 09-09-2016 07:44 AM

15 years?? jesus...

Lets remember the day of the event.... I was in grade 3 or 4? I went to a popular hong kong restaurant in Burnaby after school, they had TV's everywhere. Everyone was watching the CNN news while eating, EVERYONE... and focused on how shocked on how the planes crashed.

Will never forget the day everyone stopped eating to watch TV together in a full packed restaurant.

What did you guys do on that specific day?

radioman 09-09-2016 07:58 AM

Heard this on TSN 1040 coming into work.

Had to google it when got into the office.

6o4__boi 09-09-2016 08:11 AM

^ lol kinda tasteless but honestly not as big a deal as news outlets made it out to be

Berzerker 09-09-2016 08:27 AM

Woke up to a phone call from a friend saying America was under attack and to turn on the news. Watched the 2nd Plane hit and was just like WTF.
Went to work awhile later. I was working for a moving company at the time. We had a small move to do in an office building downtown. Turns out it was the Vancouver Trade Center. The guy we were supposed to do the move for was all distraught because he knew people in the WTC. My boss and I decided not to do the move as we really didn't want to be anywhere near that building.

Berz out.

Spoon 09-09-2016 08:33 AM

Was getting ready for work and just happened to turn on the TV. Watched the second plane hit but wasn't sure what I was watching. Took awhile for it to sink in that it wasn't a video game or movie commercial.

pastarocket 09-09-2016 08:39 AM

-was watching the news on TV at work back in the day when the planes hit the twin towers on 9/11. The horror. :heckno: FeelsBadMan

I remember one of my supervisors telling a manager about George W Bush's reaction to the incident when George W was visiting a school:
"Dave, I would not want that guy's job right now after what happened today". :smug:

To this day, my respect towards the New York police and firefighters who sacrificed their lives in helping people on 9/11 is still very high.

Mad respect for the NYPD and the firefighters. :thumbsup:

Hondaracer 09-09-2016 08:44 AM

Was in grade 9, woke up and went down stairs to see my grandma and dad watching the news, my grandma was staying over to watch my bro and sister cause my mom was in Texas, lol she doesnt like flying and now she's basically trapped in Texas after planes crashed into buildings..great..lol

Can't remember distinctly watching the building collapse, but the timeline says I must have been at home still when it happened

We were in a brand new high school so there were tones of TV's in the hallways, each class had 1-2 and so needless to say every TV was stuck on CNN etc. I remember all the tough guys saying go enroll in the army to fight against presumably the Middle East etc

Had a double block of science class that morning with a good teacher who was also our rugby coach, a pretty smart no nonsense guy. He pretty much layed it out that from that day forward the world would never be the same.

Interesting day to look back on, do it quite often, and I don't even know the number of 9/11 docs I've watched

CivicBlues 09-09-2016 09:35 AM

Wow, quite a few of you people are a lot younger than I thought :heckno:

I was in 2nd year at UBC, just heading out to class from home and my mom tells me a plane hit the Twin towers. Thinking it was just a small plane, I was shocked when I turned on the TV. Can't remember if I saw the 2nd plane hit. Probably not since I think I would remember something like that. Spent the rest of the day in classes but whenever I had a chance, I was glued to TVs showing CNN around campus.

What boggles my mind now, is that there are fully functional adults today that have no memory of this event at all. :ahwow:

CorneringArtist 09-09-2016 09:41 AM

If you think about it, there are kids in Grade 8 this year that will eventually learn 9/11 as history rather than having lived through it.

6793026 09-09-2016 09:46 AM

I was 2nd yr SFU and they pulled out of TV to live broadcast what's going on. Will never forget how people were gathered together watching it in shock.

Spoon 09-09-2016 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneringArtist (Post 8786825)
If you think about it, there are kids in Grade 8 this year that will eventually learn 9/11 as history rather than having lived through it.

Do high schools pay more attention to global/current events now? Back in my day, it's mainly Canadian history, WWI/WWII stuff. Most of the current stuff gets briefly glossed over. You read one or two news articles, summarize it and that's about it. :fuckthatshit:

Ronin 09-09-2016 11:30 AM

I watched the second plane and the buildings collapse at Angus. Skipped classes. Glued to TV.

I don't think I was old or smart enough at the time to realize how that day would change the world.

winson604 09-09-2016 11:37 AM

I was sleeping and my mom came running into my mom saying in Canto "US dai jai la!" roughly translating to "Big trouble in the US". Got out of bed and was shocked never to have expected to see such a thing in life, it was like watching a movie. Then I headed to school at Langara and people were just lined up in the hallways with their eyes glued to the TVs.

Berzerker 09-09-2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 8786849)
I watched the second plane and the buildings collapse at Angus. Skipped classes. Glued to TV.

I don't think I was old or smart enough at the time to realize how that day would change the world.

Very true. That was the catalyst for Bin Laden hunt/war and the start of the current day state of the world and the War on Terror

If Charles posts any conspiracy theory bullshit in this thread instead of personal experience I will ban him. :fuckyea:

Berz out.

murd0c 09-09-2016 11:41 AM

I remember showing up to work and everyone was shocked and told me what was going on. I still remember getting to my office and the feeling in my gut when I found out about it. It's hard to believe it was 15 years ago, wow times sure fly's

Berzerker 09-09-2016 11:45 AM

Even the little things it changed are sad in some regards. I went to watch Indy in Toronto when I was 19 and on the flight back I asked the stewardess if I could go into the cockpit to see what it looked like. She came back a few minutes later and brought my friend and I to the cockpit. We flew pretty much the whole flight there chatting with the pilot and co-pilot. They were pointing out cities as we flew over (night flight) and we stayed in cockpit until well into the decent into Vancouver. Something so memorable and fun will never happen again thanks to 9/11.

Berz out.

unit 09-09-2016 11:48 AM

it was my first or second week in uni and in the morning my friend called me and said "the pentagon is under attack". when i turned on the tv the focus was more on the wtc than the pentagon. went to school and skipped class to watch the news in the hallway. dozens of students were sitting on the floor crowded around a small tv in the corner. when i went to my later classes the profs all spent a few minutes talking about it.

CivicBlues 09-09-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 8786849)

lol we were in the same building watching TV.

It's kind of cathartic, that the year I turned 18 was the year North America lost it's "innocence". Wasn't sure what it was going to mean at the time, but knew shit was going to change.

15 years later we're still sandwich bagging our liquids onto planes WutFace

Ch28 09-09-2016 01:01 PM

I remember sleeping in because I had a free block in the morning. My radio alarm eventually went off and I had it set to Zed 94.5 and remember waking up to the hosts talking in a very serious tone. Eventually rolled out of bed and realized that something big happened in NYC, so I turned on the TV and watched the second plane fly towards the second tower. It was an absolutely surreal moment where I had to think for a second whether this was real life or not.

Bouncing Bettys 09-09-2016 02:21 PM

My mom and I had stayed up till the wee hours of the morning getting me ready to drive down really early to Vancouver to visit family before I was to fly for the first time on the 12th to start my 9 month Katimavik program. She woke me up to see the first tower on fire. No one knew it was an attack and I was too tired to watch so I went back to bed.

My head had barely hit the pillow when my mom started screaming as the second plane hit. Spent the rest of the day glued to the TV, unable to sleep, wondering how much worse it was going to get and if I would be drafted for WW3.

Later in the day, someone from Katimavik called to say my flight was cancelled and they would reschedule for the 19th.

(edit: I was 20)

XplicitLuder 09-09-2016 03:09 PM

I was in grade 4.. That is all

Presto 09-09-2016 05:03 PM

I was on my way to work when I heard the report of the first plane hit. I was working in a call centre that mainly served Americans. There were no calls that day.

ZN6 09-09-2016 05:17 PM

Woke up that morning and thought it was a movie. Hackers was fresh in my mind when I was a kid so I thought zero cool hacked the planet and turned all the channels into the same movie. Then it clicked in that it was real life and some serious shit just went down.

Lomac 09-09-2016 05:21 PM

Man, fifteen years already? It was the second week of University for me and while I was stuck in typical Port Mann traffic, I decided to turn on the radio to 99.3. Wasn't paying a lot of attention until it struck me that it was a live feed from AM980 (I think?) being ported over and not the normal morning show. Even being stuck in traffic for that long (Langley to Capilano University pre-new PM bridge), I some how managed to miss all the big happenings.

Went to class and the teachers refused to have the news playing. The irony? I was in a Film and TV program.

I think I'm glad about not watching it live, though. A family friend was killed in one of the towers and knowing I had watched it live as it happened probably would have been too much.