REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 09-09-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Broken CRV 2011 antenna terminal male (car side)

Hey folks,

So, long story short, I've installed a Joying Headunit on my CRV, but when I tried to disconnect the antenna cable from the terminal, it was completely stuck.

I've forced it quite a bit only holding the connectors, not the cable itself, but when it got loose I probably picked the cable together and now it doesn't look good, it's almost falling off. Radio stations are working so-so probably due to that.

I've been trying to find the replacement for this, but can't find it... or I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I have a Metra antenna connected to it, the Metra side (female) is OK, the car side isn't.

Anybody knows where I could replace this or how? Not going to open the panel only to take a picture of it, it's the other side of this connector:

That's the Metra 40-HD10 I have. I've tried to look on RockAuto and some other places for harness, terminals, connectors... but can't find it.

Unsure if I should go drop a kidney on a Honda dealership for them to fix it...

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Advertisement
bonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Just noticed the ridiculous shipping cost... lol... But is the lower harness what you're looking for?

Installation Radio Stereo Male Female Standard Reverse Antenna Adapter Adaptor | eBay

Addition:
Or if you don't mind snail mail from China Alibaba, it's only three-something bucks apiece

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...08.4.43.4yt4tf

Last edited by coneZONE; 09-09-2016 at 07:22 PM.
coneZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I've seen those, but I'm unsure if that's what I need, I haven't followed the cable into the panel to see where it comes from or how's the other side of it...

Yes, it's that connector, that's the male side of it, which connects on the Metra antenna which is female...

Hahah yeah that shipping wouldn't work, but I've seen the same adapter in other sites, just don't want to spend the cash without knowing if that's what I need, I don't know what's inside and since it's a mess of cables, I thought it'd be good to ask if someone knows!
Old 09-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #4

From what I know, this is basically an adapter for, say, if you retrofitted a newer OEM head unit into an older Honda, hence the female motorola antenna jack. Usually the antenna wire goes from the radio all the way to the antenna, so as a repair, you'd just have to chop off the unneeded/damaged parts and splice the existing wires onto the new harness
Old 09-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

So, could this one be used for the repair? It's made by Metra as well, so would get here faster too... it also says it's for CRV 2011.

https://www.carid.com/american-inter...m-mpn-ho7.html

So the antenna comes from the top of the car to that female connector, so I need to follow the cable and connect that... then proceed to cut the damaged connector and connect the cable that comes without anything into it... should I solder it?

My soldering skills are questionable, but I think it would be the best way. I might have to buy the cable and bring it to a professional.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #6

Yeah, that basically looks the same as the other photo I posted, just chop off the round female motorola plug.

I don't believe you would need to follow the antenna cable all the way to the antenna, unless you somehow really lost the wire in your dash lol. If the wires are still attached to the connector, then you'll pretty much have a great idea of which wire is which to connect. I haven't personally done an antenna cable repair hands-on (I was preparing to fix a friend's antenna in a 92 civic) but here is the video i used:

So basically the actual antenna should be co-axial/shielded type (basically having two wires: one for signal and one for antenna ground), and then the blue wire is for the antenna amplifier. If you strip the black antenna cable, you should have some wires exposed, and then another insulated wire in the core. So, in total, for this repair, you should be making three wire connections.

In my opinion, it's up to you if you wanted to solder. Crimp connection will work also
Old 09-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Hmmm, makes sense, I had seen this video before but couldn't connect the points since I didn't know what kind of adapter I needed for the fix.

So right now on my dash there should be this male connector already in place with 2 cables (3 if you consider the black as 2 alone)... I remember seeing the ground wires coming out of the damaged connector, maybe that's why it's suffering from severe interference.

I would need then to chop that cable, connect the out black w/ out black, in black w/ in black and blue w/ blue for the 12V antenna amp, then?

Sounds easy, just as it sounded easy when I was installing my head unit and broke it...

He doesn't show the final result, the ground is completely exposed when he puts in the butt connector, is it ok to leave like that?! I was thinking about doing that and using a shrink over it, but I may not have enough space to do that inside the dash. I would need to buy the butt connectors and the crimping tool, I own no tools for such repair.

That's why I'm thinking if it would be worth to just go to a professional to get it done, probably would cost around $40 in labour and would probably look better than my noob skill solution. Or I could buy the stuff and try it myself to learn it...

But in either case, thanks for the help!
Old 09-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #8

Yeah, it sounds like you've got the gist of it; I would do the same as well.

I think it would be a good idea to use shrink tube after the repair as well. Even electrical tape would be fine, as it doesn't need to be a weatherproof repair. Better than leaving it exposed, you might get interference if the antenna ground touches the body ground (JUST IN CASE)

No problem Let me know how it goes
Old 09-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cone275 View Post
Yeah, it sounds like you've got the gist of it; I would do the same as well.

I think it would be a good idea to use shrink tube after the repair as well. Even electrical tape would be fine, as it doesn't need to be a weatherproof repair. Better than leaving it exposed, you might get interference if the antenna ground touches the body ground (JUST IN CASE)

No problem Let me know how it goes
Hey again!
So today I received the adapter (it was stuck in customs for a long time even though I paid for pre-tax... go figure). Rushed into my car aaaaaaaand:

It's ugly, I could barely grab the ground from the car side of the cable because it's braided, so I've pushed the other side more into the butt connector so they would reach each other directly.

Barely had any space to work, the cable on the car side is too short! Being a newbie I was scared to need to strip it more than once and fail... I did fail once and had to remove a butt connector, but managed to do it.

In the end, it's ugly as hell, I couldn't find a big enough shrinkable tube (out of stock) so I just bought some 3M electrical tape as people say it's the best.

Got good results, a lot of stations and clear sound! It doesn't sound that good on the video, of course, but they are and I can tune many stations just using the scan function, which wasn't working at all before.

And that's with the OEM radio, which I normally don't even use since I have a Joying head unit, which I had to send to china due to a malfunction on the screen.

The signal on that unit is better, there's a 12V feed for the antenna connector. Even with this broken ground cable on the car side, I could still listen to radio with it, when I put back the OEM it simply didn't work at all, no sound.

Another video that I used to know what to do was this one:

Thanks again
This post thanked by: