REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Dress Shirt Sizing Issue (https://www.revscene.net/forums/710382-dress-shirt-sizing-issue.html)

Obsideon 09-17-2016 05:58 PM

Dress Shirt Sizing Issue

So I guess I don't have a "normal" body type. I'm a bit chubby and not tall haha.
All the dress shirts I find at Calvin Klein, Banana Republic, pretty much any North American store don't fit me at all.

I think I'm around a 17" neck but all the sleeves are WAY too long, almost past the knuckle.
I've tried going smaller but then I can't button the top and slim fit is too tight all around.
The costs would add up to buy and then alter every shirt, and I assume custom made shirts would get expensive as well.

Funny thing is when I was in China and Hong Kong, they don't have numbered sizes, it's pretty much just like t-shirt sizing, they use S/M/L/XL.
I fit the M perfectly so the last time I was there I bought like a dozen shirts and got a killer deal, like $15 per shirt and they were solid quality. I guess I'm "asian sized" ?

But that was many many years ago and a lot of the shirts are starting to wear and tear. Not sure where I can find new dress shirts.

Any help? Maybe I should check out some random stores in Richmond like Aberdeen?

6793026 09-17-2016 11:47 PM

Say HK G2000, I normally buy one and then just get a shit load within the same fit but in different colors. They are $15 dollars each and well worth a huge refresh of wardrobe every few years.

tiger_handheld 09-18-2016 09:57 AM

the cost to shorten the sleeve length is about $10 (not moving any buttons).
BR avg shirt price is $80? $90 for a fitting shirt seems ok?

If it's just day to day work shirts, can find some cheap ones for $20 + $10 .. still ok.
This is what I do. I'm a 15 neck with 32/33 sleeve. standard 15 is 33/34 sleeve.

prolepsis 09-18-2016 03:12 PM

Similar thing for me--BR shirts the sleeves are a little long for me.

Some brands will have more than just S/M/L, so those will probably fit you better?

For example, I get my dress shirts at Brooks Brothers--their shirts are sized by neck size and sleeve length, and also by slim fit, regular, etc. So you'd be able to get a 17 33, 17 34, and so on.

Not as familiar with other brands but I imagine others offer this type of sizing as well.

Armind 09-18-2016 03:16 PM

Get it tailored?

Euro7r 09-18-2016 07:03 PM

Time to go back to China/Hong Kong and get all the shirts you need :troll:

I have similar issue. Slim body and hard to find perfectly "fitted" shirts. Either too loose or doesn't look fitted.

GLOW 09-19-2016 09:56 AM

if you haven't, try moores on granville. large store (2 floors) and service is quite good. they have a wide selection of sizes/style and might something suitable for your body type. i've noticed their style/image has changed over recent years where they're not just the store your grandfather shopped at. they might be able to help you.

Obsideon 09-20-2016 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 8789062)
Say HK G2000, I normally buy one and then just get a shit load within the same fit but in different colors. They are $15 dollars each and well worth a huge refresh of wardrobe every few years.

Yes a few of mine that fit perfectly are actually G2000. Pants too, didn't even have to hem them. Recently bought 3 pants from CK outlet, tag on another $18 for each pant, that's like another pair right there lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8789085)
the cost to shorten the sleeve length is about $10 (not moving any buttons).
BR avg shirt price is $80? $90 for a fitting shirt seems ok?

If it's just day to day work shirts, can find some cheap ones for $20 + $10 .. still ok.
This is what I do. I'm a 15 neck with 32/33 sleeve. standard 15 is 33/34 sleeve.

I thought shortening a sleeve would be more than $10, even my pants cost like $18.
Where can I find comfortable fitting dress shirts for $20?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armind (Post 8789134)
Get it tailored?

I ain't ballin' like you :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 8789168)
Time to go back to China/Hong Kong and get all the shirts you need :troll:

I have similar issue. Slim body and hard to find perfectly "fitted" shirts. Either too loose or doesn't look fitted.

That would be the most preferable route but unfortunately I don't have any plans to head out there for a while lol

Nlkko 09-20-2016 09:12 PM

Short of getting it tailor made, nowhere. How many shirts you need? You can get store bought shirts, make sure the shoulders fit perfectly (not too tight/wide), then bring to a tailor to alternate the length, take the hip in etc. Brand doesn't really matter as each brand have different interpretation of S/M/L and there are different shirt types too.

The next time you go to Asia/ SE Asia, get a bunch tailored bespoke. They will take measurement and can do in 3-4 weeks, ship express to your address. Dirt cheap. I went to Nam last month, got 2 suits, must be like 6-8 shirts made. 500 bucks for everything including material. The top material like cashmere (for suits) are dirt cheap too.

hal0g0dv2 09-30-2016 05:37 PM

costco kirkland dress shirts triple xl best fitting dress shirt i have ever bought and i have the most fucked up measurements