REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 09-17-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Dress Shirt Sizing Issue

So I guess I don't have a "normal" body type. I'm a bit chubby and not tall haha.
All the dress shirts I find at Calvin Klein, Banana Republic, pretty much any North American store don't fit me at all.

I think I'm around a 17" neck but all the sleeves are WAY too long, almost past the knuckle.
I've tried going smaller but then I can't button the top and slim fit is too tight all around.
The costs would add up to buy and then alter every shirt, and I assume custom made shirts would get expensive as well.

Funny thing is when I was in China and Hong Kong, they don't have numbered sizes, it's pretty much just like t-shirt sizing, they use S/M/L/XL.
I fit the M perfectly so the last time I was there I bought like a dozen shirts and got a killer deal, like $15 per shirt and they were solid quality. I guess I'm "asian sized" ?

But that was many many years ago and a lot of the shirts are starting to wear and tear. Not sure where I can find new dress shirts.

Any help? Maybe I should check out some random stores in Richmond like Aberdeen?
Advertisement
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:47 PM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Say HK G2000, I normally buy one and then just get a shit load within the same fit but in different colors. They are $15 dollars each and well worth a huge refresh of wardrobe every few years.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
the cost to shorten the sleeve length is about $10 (not moving any buttons).
BR avg shirt price is $80? $90 for a fitting shirt seems ok?

If it's just day to day work shirts, can find some cheap ones for $20 + $10 .. still ok.
This is what I do. I'm a 15 neck with 32/33 sleeve. standard 15 is 33/34 sleeve.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Similar thing for me--BR shirts the sleeves are a little long for me.

Some brands will have more than just S/M/L, so those will probably fit you better?

For example, I get my dress shirts at Brooks Brothers--their shirts are sized by neck size and sleeve length, and also by slim fit, regular, etc. So you'd be able to get a 17 33, 17 34, and so on.

Not as familiar with other brands but I imagine others offer this type of sizing as well.
prolepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
God of Unce

Get it tailored?
Old 09-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Time to go back to China/Hong Kong and get all the shirts you need

I have similar issue. Slim body and hard to find perfectly "fitted" shirts. Either too loose or doesn't look fitted.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
if you haven't, try moores on granville. large store (2 floors) and service is quite good. they have a wide selection of sizes/style and might something suitable for your body type. i've noticed their style/image has changed over recent years where they're not just the store your grandfather shopped at. they might be able to help you.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Say HK G2000, I normally buy one and then just get a shit load within the same fit but in different colors. They are $15 dollars each and well worth a huge refresh of wardrobe every few years.
Yes a few of mine that fit perfectly are actually G2000. Pants too, didn't even have to hem them. Recently bought 3 pants from CK outlet, tag on another $18 for each pant, that's like another pair right there lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
the cost to shorten the sleeve length is about $10 (not moving any buttons).
BR avg shirt price is $80? $90 for a fitting shirt seems ok?

If it's just day to day work shirts, can find some cheap ones for $20 + $10 .. still ok.
This is what I do. I'm a 15 neck with 32/33 sleeve. standard 15 is 33/34 sleeve.
I thought shortening a sleeve would be more than $10, even my pants cost like $18.
Where can I find comfortable fitting dress shirts for $20?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armind View Post
Get it tailored?
I ain't ballin' like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Time to go back to China/Hong Kong and get all the shirts you need

I have similar issue. Slim body and hard to find perfectly "fitted" shirts. Either too loose or doesn't look fitted.
That would be the most preferable route but unfortunately I don't have any plans to head out there for a while lol
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:12 PM   #9
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Short of getting it tailor made, nowhere. How many shirts you need? You can get store bought shirts, make sure the shoulders fit perfectly (not too tight/wide), then bring to a tailor to alternate the length, take the hip in etc. Brand doesn't really matter as each brand have different interpretation of S/M/L and there are different shirt types too.

The next time you go to Asia/ SE Asia, get a bunch tailored bespoke. They will take measurement and can do in 3-4 weeks, ship express to your address. Dirt cheap. I went to Nam last month, got 2 suits, must be like 6-8 shirts made. 500 bucks for everything including material. The top material like cashmere (for suits) are dirt cheap too.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #10
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
costco kirkland dress shirts triple xl best fitting dress shirt i have ever bought and i have the most fucked up measurements
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote