REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 09-20-2016, 02:46 AM   #1
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Network Attached Storage Recommendations

Hi Revscene,

I am looking for recommendations for a network attached storage (NAS) product or solution at home.

I have a modem/router capable of USB 3.0 and it has a function to act as a NAS. What I am simply trying to do is to offload close to 50GB of music and photos from my laptop to some sort of NAS and have the media available on other devices such as a phone, tablet, other laptops, stereo system, and Raspberry Pi.

I've considered picking up a cheap backup drive from Costco or BestBuy, but I don't know if this will do the job, unless I am overthinking this. I've seen some dedicated NAS products but I feel they are more than what I need, unless I am wrong. Any advice/experience is appreciated. Thanks!
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:00 AM   #2
Bieksa eats bears for breakfast...

Just get a usb drive and attach it to the modem/router. Unless you're in the habit of backing up working files everyday at a scheduled time, I wouldn't bother going down the route of a NAS. Unless you're in the habit of building your own, buying one is going to be pricey, as you're buying a NAS as well as the drive or drives you want in it. What you're describing is more akin to a media location that all devices can stream or retrieve files from.

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

ODC: "Wrong, a roots type blower will produce max boost from 0rpm to redline."

Iceman_19: "A roots makes zero boost at zero rpm, lol"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Iceman_2K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2016, 07:48 AM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
it's costco
try it out...if you dont like return it.

i've gone the router route which work for my media streaming but it meant my files aren't being backed up easily.
picked up an asus nas for $200 and haven't looked back even if it has gazillion features i'll never use.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

For 50 GBs of data, I would go with what Iceman_2K recommended. USB drive/stick plugged into a router with USB port will work just fine.

If you want to be fancy, a cheapo NAS with reasonable transfer speed will work OK too.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Looks like I'll go the way of a USB stick.

Thank you everyone!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote