REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #26
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Do they retain both British AND Canadian valid, current passports and are permitted to use both of them? I know landed immigrants who retained their US citizenship, lived in Canada BUT had a US passport, not a Canadian one.
Yes and yes.

Quote:
Canada and the UK accept dual citizenship (also called “dual nationality”). A person may hold both citizenships and can carry both British and Canadian passports if they so desire. Canadians will not lose their Canadian citizenship by taking another nationality.
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #27
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
Quote:
Do they retain both British AND Canadian valid, current passports and are permitted to use both of them? I know landed immigrants who retained their US citizenship, lived in Canada BUT had a US passport, not a Canadian one.
Because if they were to enter the US with a Canadian passport (if they had one) they would be in for an asshchewing session with US CBP.

US law never prohibits nor allows dual citizenship.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #28
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I know that Brits have to surrender their Brit licence as I have had many who were getting their BC DL and had to do the class 5 road test.---most recent was last week.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #29
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I remember ICBC agent asked me if I had another license when I was renewing my BC DL. I said yes and I literally expected ERT to storm the ICBC office from the way this guy started freaking out. He demanded I surrender it and started to raise his voice, called his manager over and explained that yes I do have one, I dont use it here, I dont even have it with me in the country...

Got my licensed renewed 5 minutes later and was on my way....

Its probably my fault.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #30
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

now the question is are you a PR of canada OP and why can you not use a IDL for your job?

vast majority of jobs will accept a IDL as a valid DL.

Example we work at a shop we have a aussie who came to work with us and hes on a IDL
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #31
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
BC (and other parts of the world) wanted to eliminate the risk of having multiple identities of 1 individual; think about it, before the amazing technology, you could get away with a lot of things. eg// you get 12 pts removed from say speeding and tickets in BC, next time you get pulled over, you would just being out an Alberta license and start fresh.

This was one of the key concerns and reason for the rule.

In your shoes, I fully agree with you 10000% ICBC shouldn't have the right to remove another license from another country. You would be in shit if you didn't pass the Van. license and you won't be able to drive when you go home.
Why not? It has the same risks as someone having a license from another province.

Quote:
What I don't understand is why they didn't do a direct swap is beyond me. Say you have a class 6 motorcycle license, don't you automatically get a license in BC. Or if you're a US drivers license, you get a direct swap.
I believe they do, but only with countries that have a known equivalent license (ICBC should have to confirm the license is valid with that country as well). Given that there are nearly 200 countries in the world I don't expect ICBC to be aware of the testing procedures used in every single one and know whether those tests are equivalent to a BC test or not.

We have enough shitty drivers here as it is, if people could just swap over any old license then someone who couldn't pass the BC test could just get a fake license from some random ass country, tell ICBC it's legit and swap it for a real BC license.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #32
RS Peace Officer

The point is that the law says foreign DLS will be surrendered when you are applying for a bc dl...t doesn't say only surrender the ones the law in BC recognizes.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:05 AM   #33
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
Because if they were to enter the US with a Canadian passport (if they had one) they would be in for an asshchewing session with US CBP.

I'm not saying you're wrong but what are you basing this on? I only ask because my mom has Canadian/US Dual Citizenship. My Grandmother was a US Citizen, my mother was born in Canada and lived in the US for 4 years as a kid but has spent the majority of her time here. She didn't become a US Citizen until she was 50 years old. Since obtaining it she's traveled to the US with her Canadian Passport many times (She has both) and never had an issue. What you're suggesting has not been my mothers experience at all.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #34
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
As a former Kiwi who has friends in my former career still active there, your wife is breaking the laws in both NZ and Canada. Should she ever become involved in any crash/accident etc, her insurance coveerage will NOT be valid in BC....and likely also in NZ. She is probably commiting fraud if she signs any statement denying having another licence. Her BCDL is NOT valid and was fraudlently issued here as she lied to the ICBC staff when they specifically asked her if she had a DL issued in any other jurisdiction and she said no.
Her NZ license is valid till 2020. Its not like anything would have changed if ICBC took it away. She still can legally drive in NZ with her NZ license. ICBC doesnt notify your home country that they took your license.

To me this is one the dumbest laws ICBC has. She travels between countries holding both a CDN and NZ citizenship.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #35
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9 View Post
now the question is are you a PR of canada OP and why can you not use a IDL for your job?

vast majority of jobs will accept a IDL as a valid DL.

Example we work at a shop we have a aussie who came to work with us and hes on a IDL
ICBC also demands that if you are living in Canada longer than 6 months, you must get a BC Driver's licence. The hard part is if you are going through immigration, where it can take years to become a PR.

My wife went through all this same BS about taking the licence etc. At the time, we needed her licence to complete her immigration process as it was one of the two remaining valid documents, so she was able to keep it.

We went through more BS in that her country's licence was issued for 50 years - yes, they don't believe in bureaucratic money scams like 5 year renewals. Her licence had three languages on it, including French. Their only two 'official interpreters' for her language had not been heard from in many months and they did not want to accept the French 'Valid until', even though hey - it's one of our official languages.

ICBC's initial rebuttal was: "How do we know that this doesn't say that you have had your licence revoked for 50 years?" Yeah, when I got to spoke to the manager I asked them how many countries that he knows of that issues a licence to say that you don't have a licence? And besides, it says it's valid right there in three other languages. He had a mush more level head and accepted her licence, as I had mentioned that the Federal government has accepted it to allow her to become a citizen.

So even after supplying documents that showed my wife had gone 15 years without any accidents or claims - all officially translated by her embassy into English, the same woman that initially didn't accept her licence also wouldn't give her the ten year clear status because 'she didn't want to'. I get it that there are laws to sustain for the better of safety etc - but at the same time, there are some people making calls at ICBC that can also mess with people's livelihoods - and non discriminate laws should apply to them as well.

/rant
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2016, 04:20 PM   #36
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
Her NZ license is valid till 2020. Its not like anything would have changed if ICBC took it away. She still can legally drive in NZ with her NZ license. ICBC doesnt notify your home country that they took your license.

To me this is one the dumbest laws ICBC has. She travels between countries holding both a CDN and NZ citizenship.

As a matter of interest, did she tell ICBC that she had an active NZ licence when she applied for her BC one. IF she did, the law does not permit her to legally have a BC licence AND her NZ one. If she lives in BC for more than 3 months she must get a BC DL....
There is a limit for using your New Zealand driver licence and IDP

All countries have limits on how long you can use your New Zealand driver licence or IDP before you must get a local driver licence. In most countries, you’ll need to get a local licence if you are staying for over 12 months.
From the NZ Transport website...
Old 09-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #37

Quote:
As a matter of interest, did she tell ICBC that she had an active NZ licence when she applied for her BC one. IF she did, the law does not permit her to legally have a BC licence AND her NZ one. If she lives in BC for more than 3 months she must get a BC DL....
There is a limit for using your New Zealand driver licence and IDP

All countries have limits on how long you can use your New Zealand driver licence or IDP before you must get a local driver license. In most countries, you’ll need to get a local license if you are staying for over 12 months.
From the NZ Transport website...
Intially they made her surrender her NZ license when she had a PR. Even after she told them she still needs it cause she was going back to NZ. They issued her BC one but they took her NZ. She went back to NZ to work and was required to have a valid license and in NZ they didnt accept her BC so she got her NZ one again. At the time it was valid till 2020 and she has not surrendered that one.

She doesnt use it here either only her BC one.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:14 PM   #38
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Do they retain both British AND Canadian valid, current passports and are permitted to use both of them?...
This depends if the country they are from allows dual or more citizenships.

A person from Canada applying a US Citizenship can have both. A person from US applying a Canadian Citizenship cannot have both as US does not recognize this and will lose their US Citizenship; an exception would be if it was through marriage.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tionality.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post

In a way that's true, but it depends on the border person if they are having a good day or not.

I recall my friend's father who is has both US and Canadian citizen who crossed went to the US border and presented both passports. CBP asked him, which one do you want to be? He answered US, so the officer informed him to just show the US next time and not both.

On the side, if the person has a Nexus or EDL once it is scanned in at the sensor before to approach the booth, the CBP for either Canada or US, will see all the citizenship(s) you have on the computer.

Last edited by Sango; 09-25-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #39
I don't get it

OP is the boogyman #Inb4hall0ween XD
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #40
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Intially they made her surrender her NZ license when she had a PR. Even after she told them she still needs it cause she was going back to NZ. They issued her BC one but they took her NZ. She went back to NZ to work and was required to have a valid license and in NZ they didnt accept her BC so she got her NZ one again. At the time it was valid till 2020 and she has not surrendered that one.
I'm still amazed that you would come onto an open forum and willfully tell others that someone you love is doing something illegal.

We have explained to you what your wife is doing goes against BC Law and invalidates her BCDL. Essentially she is driving here illegally, it doesn't matter how or why she was allowed to do what she did in NZ to get her DL again, BC Law is very clear.

But keep doing what you are doing, and keep telling the world about it, god forbid the day she gets into an accident and someone comes back to what you have written here and her insurance is deemed void. Then you can come on here and cry to us about how unfair it is, and how she is such a good driver, and ICBC is the devil.

Quote:
She doesnt use it here either only her BC one.
This is exactly the reason ICBC doesn't like people having two independent licenses. Because she can go to NZ, get a DUI on her NZ license, rack up 20 speeding tickets, lose her license there, and then come back to BC and continue driving on her BC license as if nothing ever happened. The system ICBC is trying to enforce means that you are accountable for your actions elsewhere once you come back home. AKA you can't go run over someone while driving drunk in a third world country and then come home and continue as if nothing happened.

I highly suggest you and your wife go speak to a lawyer or ICBC to figure out a legal way of her driving in NZ as necessary. I am sure they have a procedure in place for people like you. Or you can continue doing what you are now, but be warned, I am certain they will not look kindly on it if and when they find out. Just looking quickly I am 99% sure your wife should have just gotten and IDP. She would need to renew it every year, but it's 25 bucks.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 09-26-2016 at 12:21 PM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #41
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
so the loop hole is this; as per an ICBC rep, go back to the country you got your license and ask for a replacement saying you lost it.

Get it re-issued and you're on your way.
ICBC is the sole provider, I wonder if another province in Canada does the same shit.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:01 AM   #42

Quote:
so the loop hole is this; as per an ICBC rep, go back to the country you got your license and ask for a replacement saying you lost it.

Get it re-issued and you're on your way.
ICBC is the sole provider, I wonder if another province in Canada does the same shit.
That's not a loop hole to the law.

It's a loop hole to get your foreign license back, but you are still breaking BC Law.

Guys this isn't that complicated: If you have a BC License and also are holding another license, you are breaking BC Law. Doesn't matter how or why you have both licenses.

The proper method to drive in another country is to go to BCAA and get an IDP. BCAA issues these to allow residents of BC to drive in other countries legally using the IDP and your BCDL. If you go read the rules that you signed when you got your License, (that yellow slip of paper), it states clearly that while you hold your BCDL you are not permitted to hold a license to any other place.

This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #43
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
The proper method to drive in another country is to go to BCAA and get an IDP.
I think ICBC is where you get IDP. Every time you renew your insurance.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #44
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
IIRC IDP is issued by BCAA

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I think ICBC is where you get IDP. Every time you renew your insurance.

No it's not.

https://www.bcaa.com/trip-planning/i...driving-permit

Old 09-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #46
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
right over your heads.......

Quote:
IDP
IDP = In Das Pooper. Slang for anal intercourse.

"Dude, she was hot!"
"Did you IDP?"

Urban Dictionary: IDP
It's a joke about ICBC sticking it to us.

I'll see myself out now.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I'm still amazed that you would come onto an open forum and willfully tell others that someone you love is doing something illegal.

We have explained to you what your wife is doing goes against BC Law and invalidates her BCDL. Essentially she is driving here illegally, it doesn't matter how or why she was allowed to do what she did in NZ to get her DL again, BC Law is very clear.

But keep doing what you are doing, and keep telling the world about it, god forbid the day she gets into an accident and someone comes back to what you have written here and her insurance is deemed void. Then you can come on here and cry to us about how unfair it is, and how she is such a good driver, and ICBC is the devil.

This is exactly the reason ICBC doesn't like people having two independent licenses. Because she can go to NZ, get a DUI on her NZ license, rack up 20 speeding tickets, lose her license there, and then come back to BC and continue driving on her BC license as if nothing ever happened. The system ICBC is trying to enforce means that you are accountable for your actions elsewhere once you come back home. AKA you can't go run over someone while driving drunk in a third world country and then come home and continue as if nothing happened.

I highly suggest you and your wife go speak to a lawyer or ICBC to figure out a legal way of her driving in NZ as necessary. I am sure they have a procedure in place for people like you. Or you can continue doing what you are now, but be warned, I am certain they will not look kindly on it if and when they find out. Just looking quickly I am 99% sure your wife should have just gotten and IDP. She would need to renew it every year, but it's 25 bucks.
I'm still amazed this topic is going on.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #48
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
I had to surrender my Brazilian licence when I moved here.

I currently may or may not have another Brazilian licence, because it's used as a national ID document there.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:44 PM   #49
RS Peace Officer

I have never had a Brazillian....but I hear that they can be itchy...
Old 10-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #50
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
I have never had a Brazillian....but I hear that they can be itchy...

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote