REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Missing Japanese ESL student found dead

Body found in historic Vancouver mansion identified as missing Japanese student | CTV News

Quote:
The search for a missing Japanese student who vanished in B.C. three weeks ago came to a grim end this week after her body was found on the grounds of an empty Vancouver heritage mansion.
The deceased was discovered Wednesday evening at historic Gabriola House on Davie Street, but the Vancouver Police Department remained tight-lipped for more than a day afterward as officers scoured the surrounding area.
On Friday, police confirmed Natsumi Kogawa was found dead on the property, which has sat vacant and behind construction fencing for several years after being sold to a developer.

Sgt. Brian Montague said officers were initially led to the West End mansion by their investigation into Kogawa’s disappearance.
The 30-year-old ESL student was reported missing on Sept. 12, five days after she was last seen by her roommates at their Burnaby home.
Earlier this week, the RCMP released surveillance footage showing Kogawa walking with a man near Seymour and Hastings streets in downtown Vancouver on Sept. 8.
The man seen in that footage, William Schneider, was arrested by North Okanagan RCMP in Vernon hours after Kogawa's body was found, and remains in police custody.
One count of idignity to a body was approved against him on Thursday. Police said Schneider, 48, is the sole suspect in Kogawa’s death.
RCMP spokesperson Sgt. Annie Linteau said Schneider does not have a fixed address.
The missing person investigation was turned over to the VPD's Major Crimes section after the body was found, and detectives are now working with the RCMP to gather and analyze evidence.
An autopsy has been scheduled for Monday, and one of the things authorities hope to learn is the exact date that Kogawa was killed.
The relationship between Schneider and the victim isn't clear, and Montague said police can't release much information because of a publication ban on the case.
"We're going to be very cautious about what we share," he told reporters.
"We also have to be cognizant that there are still many witnesses to interview… we don't want to jeopardize our investigation."
The VPD spokesperson said the timeline of the student’s disappearance will factor heavily into the case.
“There was a fairly large time gap between the time between the time Ms. Kogawa was last seen and the dates she was reported missing,” he said.
“We’re going to do our best to fill in the blanks there, fill in that missing time.”
Advertisement
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

damn, RIP
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #3
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Holy shit, heard about the body found in the mansion, but never imagined it would be that missing student
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
wow.. i always park my car beside that mansion on the 2hr parking spot on davie street every weekday..... no wonder so many cops there

RIP...

how the fck do they find the dude in vernon the same night of the body found? magic?

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
how the fck do they find the dude in vernon the same night of the body found? magic?
They already have a lead on the guy before they found the body.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,243 Times in 574 Posts
Tragic RIP
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #7
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
they already sent a bulletin to all the news outlets looking for the man a few days prior
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:43 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
i really don't understand how a Japanese person could be careless to trust even talking to a Meth head creepy looking white Guy from the video screen shots they had of him..
Old 09-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #9

rip. was friends friend.

if you lived in japan youd understand. when your whole country is an escalator system, and you follow it you become clueless to the real world. those that dont follow the escalator system are pushed away. so unfortunately when a lot of them go overseas they are shocked and have no idea of how to deal with world wide situations that are seen as common occurances. interacting with homeless/druggies etc.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #10
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
RIP, co-worker and I were hoping for a positive ending to this story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #11
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Rest in peace to this lady. My condolences to the family.

Last edited by josayeee; 10-01-2016 at 09:47 AM.
josayeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

RIP, was really hoping it wouldn't turn out like this.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #13
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

can someone eli5 why there is a publication ban on this?
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:57 PM   #14
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjew View Post
can someone eli5 why there is a publication ban on this?
Investigation pending. More importantly, a trial will almost certainly be setup. The court usually doesn't like the media to diverge too much information about criminal cases for fear that it could pre-influence the judgement of the jury, but it will take public interest and the right to information into consideration as it make these decisions.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2016, 09:18 PM   #15
I don't get it

RIP
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

rip,..
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
rip. was friends friend.

if you lived in japan youd understand. when your whole country is an escalator system, and you follow it you become clueless to the real world. those that dont follow the escalator system are pushed away. so unfortunately when a lot of them go overseas they are shocked and have no idea of how to deal with world wide situations that are seen as common occurances. interacting with homeless/druggies etc.
yeah, Japanese people in general are quite naive.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #18
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Dbaz, can you explain what's an escalator system?
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:38 PM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
Dbaz, can you explain what's an escalator system?
Japan's Escalator Schools: Future Decided At Age 5 - Japan Talk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalator_school
"An escalator school (エスカレーター学校 esukareitā gakkō?)[1] (also esukareitā kō (エスカレーター校?) and esukareita kō (エスカレータ校?))[2] is a school that offers education from elementary or middle (or even from the kindergarten) until university. Escalator schools are so called because students usually rise to the next grade without having to take entrance exams. While many Western private schools are this way, escalator schools are far more prevalent in Japan than in other countries."
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:45 PM   #20

long story short your job can highly depend on what school you go to at age 5 or in some cases preschool as companies in japan hire off of your universities name not your individual characteristics or abilities. all these universities have preschools, elementaries, jr highs and sr highs

example: they will hire someone for an international trade job where english is required but hire a student who graduated in home studies(being a wife. legit) and has no other language skills over a student from a "lesser" university who has a degree in international tradr and is fluent in english and japanese.

its so important to people now they will go to cram school for 2-4hrs a day after whats usually 7am-5pm at school and then go home and study. there is little to no time for them to explore the real world

japan is also super group orientated while western countries are more indvidual so that mind fucks them too. dont have experience approaching people, they are always put in groups.

Last edited by dbaz; 10-01-2016 at 01:39 PM.
dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2016, 11:59 PM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Saw a missing person poster of this student outside of a bbt cafe couple days ago. Dayum.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #22

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
long story short your job can highly depend on what school you go to at age 5 or in some cases preschool as companies in japan hire off of your universities name not your individual characteristics or abilities. all these universities have preschools, elementaries, jr highs and sr highs

example: they will hire someone for an international trade job where english is required but hire a student who graduated in home studies(being a wife. legit) and has no other language skills over a student from a "lesser" university who has a degree in international tradr and is fluent in english and japanese.

its so important to people now they will go to cram school for 2-4hrs a day after whats usually 7am-5pm at school and then go home and study. their is little to no time for them to explore the real world

japan is also super group orientated while western countries are more indvidual so that mind fucks them too. dont have experience approaching people, they are always put in groups.
I had lived both in China and Japan. Honestly that's no different from the system in China or many other Asian countries where the competition is just as fierce, if not more. Hell in China your fate is almost decided depending on where you were born.

Japanese are simply polite and nice and have been exposed to a culture that is generally safe and trusting. This could work against them in a foreign country where it is more culturally diverse with people coming from more sophisticated background.

I don't think it's exactly the escalator system that's the issue here (although I'm not a fan of it), but it's the Japanese culture that shapes their people. They tend to be more trusting of others than say, people from China.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #23
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Saw this on reddit, wonder if there's more to the story.

A screen cap from: https://www.facebook.com/findnatsumi...%3A%22R0%22%7D

IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #24

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
There's a lack of detail on how she was exploited and made money off of.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #25
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
Saw this on reddit, wonder if there's more to the story.

A screen cap from: https://www.facebook.com/findnatsumi...%3A%22R0%22%7D

Is this the same guy?

BREAKING: Former BCIT international recruitment agency reacts to contract termination | BCIT Broadcast News

Student groups sued for alleged defamation - BC | Globalnews.ca
josayeee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: