REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Where do you all purchase your mattresses?

The queen size is proving to be too small for me and the miss. Thinking of upgrading to the king size. The first thing I can think of is Sleep Country and their song playing in my head, but their online rating is terrible.

Also, do you typically haggle when shopping for mattresses? I have done some haggling before at furniture shop but not sure if people typically do it when shopping for mattresses.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I like costco's posturepedic mattrasses.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Sleep country.... cant go wrong
Sleep Country Canada | Buy Mattresses | Mattress Stores | Find the Best Mattress Sales
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,264 Times in 1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
The queen size is proving to be too small for me and the miss. Thinking of upgrading to the king size. The first thing I can think of is Sleep Country and their song playing in my head, but their online rating is terrible.

Also, do you typically haggle when shopping for mattresses? I have done some haggling before at furniture shop but not sure if people typically do it when shopping for mattresses.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Don't buy a mattress based on the store, buy one based on the price. More money does not equal better sleep. Understand that the mattress industry is a giant scam so try to give them as little money as possible. Go to websites of big retailers and look for mattresses based on your budget whether it's a regular priced item or a big $$$ item that was marked down a hefty amount.

Don't listen to things like 'coil count' or 'gel cool foam inserts' etc. Your body can't tell those things apart. All it can gauge is whether the mattress puts the right amount of pressure on the spine or not.

You can haggle on pricing but probably unlikely if you're looking at one with a huge markdown.

The shittiest thing with mattress shopping is that it's hard to cross shop / price match because each retailer specifically asks the manufacturer to create 'unique mattresses' just for them when in reality they take one mattress and alter it enough to give it a slightly different name so Sleep Country and The Brick can have the exact same mattress that's been re-skinned and would fool everyone and they can't be price matched because they're 'technically' different.

TL;DR: I hate mattress shopping. Thank fuck they last years so it's not something to do often.

I ended up buying a $2000 mattress for $850 because it was on sale. I laid on it for 10 minutes and moved around. Felt good and no complaints on my back. Would never buy at regular price. My budget was set to $900 so this one met my criteria.

Good luck
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2016, 05:38 PM   #5
Not a mod

https://casper.com/ca/en/mattresses
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Anywhere but The Brick.....I just don't like how they treat people hearing the stories from them.

And always test out the bed you want,i'm so happy the sales man told me to get a firm bed so it'll have good back support vs feeling like you're sleeping on 20 blankets.

and i'm sure if you have sex with your girlfriend it'll kinda suck having a bed with no bounce
Old 10-01-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
GS8 outlined everything I came here to post.

The mattress industry is a fucking joke, and like he said it's virtually impossible to price match due to the same model being branded somthing different from store to store.

I spent about 20 hours reading up on mattresses and learning about quality etc. I ended up going to sears and spending about an hour and a half on different matresses until I found he one I wanted. Was a king tight top firm, the mattress by itself was $1300

Enter the getting bent over and fucked in the ass portion:

In order to get any sleep guarantee (ie. you ducking hate you're mattress and you can't sleep another night on it) you need to A) buy a mattress cover from the retailer you're buying the mattress from (king covers are obviously substantially more expensive than the rest) and sometimes B) pay additional for the sleep guarantee (i.e. The "privilege to return it)

I ended up buying a matresss cover because who's to say my $1300 mattress was good enough after laying on it for 20 minutes. Little good the cover did cause one night I had the flu and went out and got shit faced and puked all over the end of my bed and the cover, needless to say, didn't help.

The sears guy who sold me mine was also slimey as fuck and kept telling me the deal was only on once a year, maybe twice, and I was getting like $800 off right now. I went back to the exact same store 3-4 times after buying mine and the price never changed. I even confronted the guy about it and he said it was a model that was being discontinued but the price would never be below what I paid, sure.

The biggest initial decision to make is what type of mattress you want.

Firmness and the top cushion are two different things.

For firmness you have soft, medium, firm

For tops, there is tight top, no additional padding between the mattress and coils

Euro top/pillow top, both have a varying degree of additional padding on top of the actual frame I can't remember which one has more but it can be a very substantial amount of material added.

Read up, take your time, and weigh your options in terms of sleep guarantees etc.

Good luck
Old 10-01-2016, 06:35 PM   #8

Thanks for all the help. I hate the thought of shopping for mattresses and your opinions further confirmed my notion that this industry is a slimey one. Well, we will visit several places and hopefully find one that we like and fits within our budget.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:36 PM   #9
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
I went with the Ikea natural latex mattress way back when. Still holding up. I really wanted a pure natural latex mattress, but they were way too expensive. Plus, not many places carry true natural latex. Most places lie about their products. I found a place on 4th avenue in Kits that had pure natural latex mattress. But thousands of dollars, not just one or two....... yikes!

Anyway, the Ikea natural latex was a hybrid. Not much off gassing, if you're into that kind of shit. I'm too old to care about off gassing. If I was susceptible to chemicals, I would've died ages ago. Smelling all kinds of chemicals from working on cars and shit, lol.

Anyway, check out Ikea, you'll be pleasantly surprised. They have sales on mattresses twice, maybe three times a year.

Also, check into mattress covers. There are so many types, but the more expensive ones with air tight zipper systems will protect your investment. Plus they keep nasty bugs and other things from ruining your mattress.

EDIT: Just a side note/after thought, whathaveyou........

Got one of these and very happy with its performance. It does what it is designed to do, albeit for only 20 fricken minutes at a time. If you can't get 'er done in 20 minutes, there's something wrong. My two bits.

http://www.dysoncanada.ca/en-CA/vacu...FRBrfgodk9YG3w
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 10-01-2016 at 06:44 PM.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
I also recommend Costco - because you can return it if your back decided it didn't like the mattress. I've had two mattresses from them and so far they've been value for money. Both were Sealy, one a euro top queen and the other a tight top twin.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #11

For those of you who shopped at Costco, did they actually have all these mattresses in-store for you to try? I mean they do have quite a selection online but I just don't recall seeing an area with mattresses to try on when shopping at Costco.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #12
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Bought mine from Seahorse on Kingsway/Rupert. They're known for their firm mattresses that hold up well over the years. I've had the same firm Seahorse mattress for the past 11 years and it still maintains a very good firmness.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #13
MG1

Spoiler!

A reminder to all you Revsceners out there, when you get a chance to use the above pic, you take it!" - a la Don Taylor.

god bless

Last edited by MG1; 10-01-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #14
GS8

Thanked 7,264 Times in 1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Euro top/pillow top, both have a varying degree of additional padding on top of the actual frame I can't remember which one has more but it can be a very substantial amount of material added.
Actually they both vary. The difference between the two is purely aesthetic. A euro top has the padding that blends in with the edges of the mattress to look seamless whereas a pillow top looks more 'half assed' as it just sits right on top with no seams to connect it to the edges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
I also recommend Costco - because you can return it if your back decided it didn't like the mattress. I've had two mattresses from them and so far they've been value for money. Both were Sealy, one a euro top queen and the other a tight top twin.
I just wanted to add that you can buy a non euro / pillow top mattress and instead buy a euro / pillow top COVER that fits over the mattress. Reason being is that if you bought a mattress with a fixed pillow / euro top and it starts to sag, you are SOL whereas if it's a cover, then you can just pull it off and replace. Euro / Pillow tops also add $100s to the price.

HOWEVER, most of the people who complain about premature sagging euro / pillow tops are usually heavy people so don't let it sway you from considering a euro / pillow top if you have an average build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
EDIT: Just a side note/after thought, whathaveyou........

Got one of these and very happy with its performance. It does what it is designed to do, albeit for only 20 fricken minutes at a time. If you can't get 'er done in 20 minutes, there's something wrong. My two bits.

http://www.dysoncanada.ca/en-CA/vacu...FRBrfgodk9YG3w

EDIT!

I had the DC61 (I think?) which was similar to yours (minus the mattress moniker). The charge time to use time was annoying as hell to me and I returned it after a week. I wasn't even getting 20min out of a charge despite the charging instructions. I was sad because it was such a handy alternative when bringing out my Dyson Canister became cumbersome

Last edited by GS8; 10-01-2016 at 07:43 PM.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #15
MG1

yup, I get 15 minutes or so, but I've learned to move fast, lol. No time to blink or scratch your butt.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #16
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I purchased my mattress from this warehouse location in North Vancouver. I do no regret it one bit. It's your own personal mattress he makes for you when you see him. It's completely organic compared to the memory foams you see at Sleep Country. He'll compile, build and customize how much memory foam you and also your partner needs and check your alignment of your spine. He's an older guy and has dedicated himself for decades.

SnugSleep? ? We offer a wide range of wool bedding and Dunlop rubber latex products.
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #17
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
picked mine up from Home Outfitters, got a wicked deal as well.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:40 PM   #18
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

[QUOTE=MG1;8792248]I went with the Ikea natural latex mattress way back when. Still holding up. I really wanted a pure natural latex mattress, but they were way too expensive. Plus, not many places carry true natural latex. Most places lie about their products. I found a place on 4th avenue in Kits that had pure natural latex mattress. But thousands of dollars, not just one or two....... yikes!

I also checked the Essentia store in Kits. It's still not 100% organic surprisingly. I am a Kinesiologist and in the industry. This guy knows what he's talking about.

vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #19

Thanked 6,538 Times in 1,155 Posts
I bought our king size mattress from liquidation furniture and more, I think it was around $600 and its got pocket coils. Had it for a few years now and its still comfortable
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #20
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I bought mine at Sears near black friday last year at 60% off prices. Mattresses always have sales. I got free delivery on it as well. No issues.

Mattresses also have huge markups.
chipmunk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:41 PM   #21
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
I purchased my mattress from this warehouse location in North Vancouver. I do no regret it one bit. It's your own personal mattress he makes for you when you see him. It's completely organic compared to the memory foams you see at Sleep Country. He'll compile, build and customize how much memory foam you and also your partner needs and check your alignment of your spine. He's an older guy and has dedicated himself for decades.

SnugSleep? ? We offer a wide range of wool bedding and Dunlop rubber latex products.
How much was your mattress?
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:12 AM   #22
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
As far as I know there is a huge difference between true organic "foam" mattresses and foam mattresses that just have a foam inlay etc.

The true crazy foam mattresses START at like 3500+
Old 10-02-2016, 03:43 AM   #23
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Sleep Country Canada, why buy a mattress anywhere else?

HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2016, 07:15 AM   #24
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,101 Posts
I've always just bought cheap foam mattresses from Ikea, been sleeping on them for 20+ years and I'm 38 now, no issues, I've had on and off lower back pain problems, but losing weight and proper core exercise fixed that stuff not buying a fancy mattress to sleep on.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #25
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The true crazy foam mattresses START at like 3500+
I heart my tempur-pedic
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote