REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 10-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #51
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
The reviews I've read from thewire, engadget, and theverge all having amazing reviews for the battery...I have no idea where you could have possibly read that.
now say what you will about these reviewer's on youtube but i am more inclined to trust their opinion over that of someone who works for a big tech blog that is usually paid off by manufacturers. these youtube reviewers often buy phones with their own dime and tend to give more of an honest review. IMO

Advertisement
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:43 PM   #52
Professional Lurker

Anyone have any experience with the device protection through the google store?

https://store.google.com/magazine/device_protection

Is this something worth getting?
EX-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #53
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucci Mane View Post
now say what you will about these reviewer's on youtube but i am more inclined to trust their opinion over that of someone who works for a big tech blog that is usually paid off by manufacturers. these youtube reviewers often buy phones with their own dime and tend to give more of an honest review. IMO
You couldn't be more wrong lol. I am quite sure major tech blogs have journalistic integrity.

Also a lot of youtubers sans the popular ones are typically paid by manufacturers to review their products. I only trust MKBHD and he has even said he's been contacted to give favorable reviews which he declined of course.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:55 AM   #54
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Marques is one the most honest reviewers out there. Great kid, and is going places, he's recently did a video of his tesla on the Pixel

However, as great as all the big blogs say this phone is, everyone reviewing the damn phone has said identical things about it, including the youtubers.

Google has done a fantastic job putting this device together, but the price point is too damn high.

I haven't looked into the pixel subreddit, but with android 7.0 on Nexus6p, there was a very serious issue with battery drain. one that keeps the phone awake thus making it completely horrible with battery life.

MKBHD recently showed a picture of his Screen On Time and i believe it was insanely high.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Budong View Post
Marques is one the most honest reviewers out there. Great kid, and is going places, he's recently did a video of his tesla on the Pixel

However, as great as all the big blogs say this phone is, everyone reviewing the damn phone has said identical things about it, including the youtubers.

Google has done a fantastic job putting this device together, but the price point is too damn high.

I haven't looked into the pixel subreddit, but with android 7.0 on Nexus6p, there was a very serious issue with battery drain. one that keeps the phone awake thus making it completely horrible with battery life.

MKBHD recently showed a picture of his Screen On Time and i believe it was insanely high.
The price point is equal to the iPhone -- that's what they want to compete against. Pricing it lower would be marketing failure, basically admitting you think your product is inferior.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #56
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
The price point is equal to the iPhone -- that's what they want to compete against. Pricing it lower would be marketing failure, basically admitting you think your product is inferior.
It's a gamble that Google is taking. On one hand, we have Google trying to market the Pixel in the same league as the iPhone. On the other hand, we have scores of Android users who are accustomed to the pure Android experience at a lower price point compared to iPhones.

The 6, 5X, and 6P were already more expensive than previous Nexus phones, and their sales numbers were probably lower than the previous Nexus phones as well. The most risky thing is, there are tons of other great Android phones out there other than the Nexus / Pixel line. The techie folks will also continue to pump out cleaned up versions of the Android OS for other non-Google phones. So I suspect a good number of previous Nexus users will not be buying into the now premium price Pixel.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #57
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
calling something a marketing failure just because it's priced lower seems dramatic

we'll see in 3 months time...I think the majority with $900 to spend on a phone would get the iPhone. It's proven. Pixel is a newcomer. Sorry to me it's still a Nexus which these days I wouldn't pay more than $500.

If Note7 is still around this thing has almost no chance. So they can count on Samsung getting lit as a blessing.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:31 PM   #58
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
I get why they are trying to price it the same as the iPhone. A lot of people view price going hand in hand with being premium, and if someone is going to switch from an iPhone they want to switch to the premium Android. The Nexus line always seemed like a "techie" niche product. If I told my friends I had a Nexus 5 none of them knew what the hell it was.

If they are going to sway the average iPhone user to switch it needs to be with a similar phone, but running Android. I don't think it'll happen with this phone, but after a couple of years with the right advertising it could become a contender.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #59
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
it's actually thanks to that price point that I'm heavily considering an iphone 7 or at least a 6S plus

and i know i'm not the only one in that boat.

had the pixel released at 6P money i would have bought it without hesitation.
now i'm in this limbo where i could buy a year old phone in the 6P or a mid-range android and wait for better option at 6P price range in a year or two...or spend the extra money and go for something that will retain its value and quality, 6S Plus or 7 and is synonymous with the money it's asking for. The Pixel is nowhere in that conversation.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #60
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
^They have to start somewhere.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #61
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
it's actually thanks to that price point that I'm heavily considering an iphone 7 or at least a 6S plus

now i'm in this limbo where i could buy a year old phone in the 6P or a mid-range android and wait for better option at 6P price range in a year or two...or spend the extra money and go for something that will retain its value and quality, 6S Plus or 7 and is synonymous with the money it's asking for. The Pixel is nowhere in that conversation.
They aren't going after you then, they want the people willing to pay high end money for a device. They did the mid range prices for awhile and now they are after a bigger piece of the pie. It ain't gonna be easy to steal customers from Apple and Samsung but like Expresso said, they gotta start somewhere.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #62

fair enough

but we'll see how it pans out, i understand you've gotta start somewhere but in my opinion, they just haven't shown enough of a justification for me to shell out the big bucks. Now there's a void in that 6P range they left behind that'll be hard to fill.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
Old 10-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #63

Quote:
fair enough

but we'll see how it pans out, i understand you've gotta start somewhere but in my opinion, they just haven't shown enough of a justification for me to shell out the big bucks. Now there's a void in that 6P range they left behind that'll be hard to fill.
Hardware wise they've stepped up in a big way (minus ip67 water resistance). Processor speed, display, and camera are all top notch.

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't all the previous Nexus phones hardware a gen behind? Hence the cheaper price.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #64

I'm not sure about phones pre 6P

6P is not that far behind in terms of hardware and capabilities to Pixel. The main difference are the exclusive features in Pixel.
At that time it was released, i thought it was sporting top of the category hardware and capabilities.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #65
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Nexus devices (aside from the LG ones like Nexus 4,5,5x) mostly had flagship specs
as we all know specs aren't that important any more in phones...build quality seems to be what everyone's after. I think battery life and pricing is more important.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2016, 12:41 AM   #66

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:

i dont know about you but there's a few features i cant live without that only an android device can provide. LED notification light, the ability to set the default browser of my choosing and a cracked version of the free spotify app thats got no ad's and has unlimited skips!

now if theres a sexy all black android phone out there somewhere that can fill this note 7 hole for me, i'd be one happy camper.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:47 AM   #67
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucci Mane View Post
i dont know about you but there's a few features i cant live without that only an android device can provide. LED notification light, the ability to set the default browser of my choosing and a cracked version of the free spotify app thats got no ad's and has unlimited skips!

now if theres a sexy all black android phone out there somewhere that can fill this note 7 hole for me, i'd be one happy camper.
thats the thing, android phones have had these features that are difficult to replicate on an iphone, hell not all androids have notification led as well.

and I will complain about the price and such, but i've been an android supporter since the HTC Magic... and its finally great to see Google taking back complete control of the device

Last edited by Tim Budong; 10-21-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #68
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,316 Times in 307 Posts
some guy put his pixel to a little bit of water testing.

i preordered one, waiting for it to arrive from ups today

Last edited by eLy604; 10-21-2016 at 12:00 PM.
eLy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #69

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Just played around with the phone at the rogers store and it appears to be a truly solid phone. The front facing camera is better than my current nexus 5 camera it seems! Decided not to buy it right then from rogers but get it from google with the protection plan.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #70
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,316 Times in 307 Posts
very solid phone.
quick and responsive. loving it so far.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #71

Played with the phone for a bit this weekend at a Telus store.
  • Build is iPhone quality which is better than any android out there.
  • True android experience is very fluid and snappy.

Get this phone unless you are entrenched in the Apple ecosystem.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #72

I want to purchase the Pixel.
It is currently sold out at Google Playstore.

Is there any disadvantage to purchase them at local store like Fido, Telus...etc.
I am pretty sure All Goolge phone will NOT be lock to any carrier liks their previous NEXUS.

Thanks
BU
Old 10-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #73

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
The only difference I can see is you can't get the google warranty but have to go with the carrier offering.

Rogers was telling me theirs is $11/month + deductible (unsure)

Telus is $7/month (2 years) and a $79 on each replacement

Googles is $129 flat + $99 on each replacement

The telus one is comparible, unsure of the rogers one as the deductible wasn't mentioned.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #74
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Was looking into this other then the pure experience is there a reason why I would get the pixel over something like the LePro 3?
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #75
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
If you just need a phone then probably nothing. But you might want to wait till some reviews come out. Cause we don't know anything about it other than the specs on paper. At the price point it's probably not competing with S7/IP7/Pixel and more like OPO3/4?
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote