REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #51
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,195 Times in 5,577 Posts
my main point wasn't really to single out govt and union workers as a whole, although that is obviously up for discussion and in general those organizations do seemingly have a lack of accountability.

I dont really care if the city of Vancouver or Burnaby, or Surrey school district has slackers and entitled union clowns

Just dont go to the fucking media non-stop and be claiming to be so hard done by and essentially begging for money and assistance non-stop.

the VSB probably faces some challenges in terms of enrollment, class sizes, etc. just due to the demographics of Vancouver. However, look for solutions to the problem then. There are clearly systematic issues with the way things are being done, work to solve those problems instead of whining and crying rough shot.
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2016, 11:23 AM   #52
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder View Post
But I will say, preparing for the day and taking 45 minutes to an hour is normal within any trades job. When else will you pack the all of the right tools for your task of the day? Especially in safety sensitive trades(maybe not lawn mowing), it is important to assess the task and bring the right tools. Even more so if you are a contractor.
I work on industrial sites, where the safety aspect is higher than anything any residential, commercial, or landscaping type work would be. If our guys start work at 7:30, we start our foremen and supervisors a half hour sooner. Start to the day goes like this:

7:15 to 7:25 - Supervisors gather and have their morning management meeting. This is where all the announcements about what is happening on site, including weather issues, or notable site issues (like critical lifts, partial building closures, blasting, etc.)

7:30 - 7:40 - crews's gather together and hold their tailgate/Toolbox talks. This is where all the information from the management meeting is relayed to the guy as well as some general safety reminders, (filling in your FLHA's, lifitng with your knees, using your safety equipment, harness's, etc).

7:45 - 8:00 guys do their safety checks, equipment is fired up, everything is plugged in.

If I walk out of the officer at 8:00 - 95% of the crew is hard at work on their day's tasks.

That means that for an average worker, starting the day takes a total of less than 30 minutes. The only day this varies is 1 day a week where we have our weekly safety meeting, this takes some extra time.

Anything beyond the above, is crap. Maybe once in awhile you might need some extra time to get your shit together, or because you are doing something special that day. But this all comes down to planning. If it happens every day that's retarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder View Post
And yeah Acklands is total shit, I work for a national company and we have to buy from them. Total bullshit if you think about how many people are getting laid off yet we pay 650 for wrenches worth 350.
Acklands is a fine company, their business model is exactly how they want it. When you order from acklands you are paying for the convenience factor. The fact that I can buy a $15,000 welding machine, and 10 pairs of gloves for 20 bucks in the same order, and have both of them on my site the next day is why they can charge what they do.

If I don't need something immediately, I go elsewhere, of course it's going to be cheaper. But If I need a 200 dollar torque wrench, and I need it now, I'd rather pay more for it, and have it here right away, than have some tradesmen standing around scratching his balls at 45 bucks an hour.

Also anyone who pays list price out of the acklands catalogue is a sucker. For things like face shields, safety glasses, gloves, and general consumable type items, acklands actually has a very competitive price. This is especially true if you get an account and spend some money with them.

It's like lordco, the more you spend, the higher your discounts go, and at some point, the prices become very close to competitive, if not better than the competition.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #53
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

related

https://www.facebook.com/dmills93/vi...4370759865935/
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:26 PM   #54
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,494 Times in 4,891 Posts
I have access to two accounts set up with Acklands (large accounts that I'm not supposed to be using, LOL). Prices are still on the high side. What gets me is when something I need takes three days from Abbotsford to Burnaby. In that aspect, Lordco, hands down. Plus, level 7 pricing at Lordco is pretty darn good.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 10-15-2016 at 09:56 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:34 PM   #55
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,248 Posts
acklands, motion and applied... middlemen that do fuck all

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #56
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
It all boils down to work ethics.

If you have poor work ethics, chances are, you probably have little to no integrity when it comes to everything else in life.

Part of the reason why our society is filled with losers with attitude. People who think of only themselves and have that, "Fuck everybody else," attitude.

I was taught from day one to work hard and work honestly. I've passed that on to my children. Hopefully, when they have kids they'll do the same.

Doesn't matter where you go, you see a few good workers out there. The ones who care. They're the ones who love their job and want to make a positive difference. I've gone out of my way to tell them they're doing a good job. Doesn't matter if they're working at a fast food joint or behind the desk at an office. There aren't too many of the good ones around, but when I see one, I'll let 'em know.

I've worked at many union jobs and everytime I saw a slacker, I worked harder. When I got home, I was dead tired, but felt really good about myself. It rubbed off on others, but it also got me ridiculed - a lot. Those losers went to bars, got wasted, and spent what they earned. They had marital problems and all kinds of other issues. And, they did nothing but complain, complain, complain.

There's nothing like working hard.............. then when you retire, you can slack off all you want and waste your time on forums like RS, Gulolololololol.
First off, I want to state that I LOVE what you wrote here. Being a hard worker is very important to me, and I wouldn't be doing what I am doing without having a serious fear, and hatred for failure, or less than my best.
But sometimes, especially in this day where everyone can rub their rewards in your face via social media from all angles, I'd be lying if I said I don't wake up somedays wishing I could be some lazy fuckwit that didn't give a shit about how useless he was and just cash my paycheque. There are definitely many instances of being taken advantage of due to having a real work ethic.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #57
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
lol the board has just been fired

to be replaced by a "special trustee"

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
There are definitely many instances of being taken advantage of due to having a real work ethic.
I've seen this happen to many jaded people in the private industry. I've seen people work OT free, put in countless extra hours worth of work because a promotion was dangled in front of them only to be shunted aside when the objectives have been accomplished. Personally, I have a couple of friends who jumped to gov because they were just tired of this and wanted to just clock in and collect a paycheque.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #58
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Looks like the education minister reads RS :P entire vsb fired

StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #59
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
If you can't beat em, join them.

It worked for me.

Free OT to paid OT. I blame the private companies that try to maximize work for dollars. At some point productivity just goes straight to shit and people leave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #60

so gov hires crony to do the work. more cuts coming for schools
Old 10-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #61
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,187 Times in 2,466 Posts
I have not followed the VSB fiasco too closely, but the firing right now seem quite surprising to me. More than anything else, the gut feeling suggests that it is the result of some sort of power struggle instead of trying to do what is best for our children's education.

The further funding cuts are not going to be pretty. Not for the schools, the staff, and most important of all, not for the children.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #62
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
apparently it's happened before in the 80s

ugh sounds like some bureaucratic bullshit...I dislike politics when it comes to education

Quote:
Unlike school boards in many Canadian cities, trustees in Vancouver are members of local political parties and often vote along party lines. The board consisted of four members from Mayor Gregor Robertson's Vision Vancouver party, four from the Non-Partisan Association, and a lone Green Party member. The Vision and Green members voted against the budget.
Vancouver School Board fired amid dispute over budget, bullying allegations - The Globe and Mail
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:24 PM   #63

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I wish my job as a public-sector, unionized employee were as laid back and easy as everyone in this thread seems to think it is.

Amazing how, as a lazy, incompetent, and entitled public-sector employee, I often find myself working through breaks (without pay, had to cut both my breaks short today!), working overtime (without pay, 30 minutes late leaving today!), working at home (without pay) and I still don't have enough time in the day to get everything I want to get done.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #64
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I wish my job as a public-sector, unionized employee were as laid back and easy as everyone in this thread seems to think it is.

Amazing how, as a lazy, incompetent, and entitled public-sector employee, I often find myself working through breaks (without pay, had to cut both my breaks short today!), working overtime (without pay, 30 minutes late leaving today!), working at home (without pay) and I still don't have enough time in the day to get everything I want to get done.
one question, why? you should be paid for all that, why would you do any of that if you are not getting paid?
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #65

been away too long lol. no wonder vsb was so fucked didnt realize it was vision vancouver heading it. bunch of retards
Old 10-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #66
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,488 Posts
vision was heading parks board too until they took shit too far and thought people will let shit happen. last election most of them got punted

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #67
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,195 Times in 5,577 Posts
Quote:

That's literally every single person in any sort of management position within the construction industry.

So sad leaving half an hour late! How terrible! Lol..
Old 10-17-2016, 07:58 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
one question, why? you should be paid for all that, why would you do any of that if you are not getting paid?
Unexpected events occur and I want to deal with them right away, we have a no unscheduled overtime policy at work (for my department, anyways), and I don't like leaving things unfinished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
That's literally every single person in any sort of management position within the construction industry.

Missed the point, but thanks for being condescending.

When I was in the private sector and non-union, I had the same work ethics. But now that I'm in the public sector and in a union, I'm painted as a scumbag by many in this thread.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #69
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Whoever came up with the 5 min banking hour system is totally retarded.
When people who have this kind of work ethics and mentality, the system can't be productive

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #70

jmac are you salary or hourly
Old 10-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
jmac are you salary or hourly
Hourly
Old 10-17-2016, 10:41 PM   #72

i'm with you then...if it happens every now and then no biggie but no thanks to chronic unpaid work

guess it depends on the nature of your work...you just have to learn to leave it until youre back from break/start of your next shift. I came across this a week or so ago and it was an eyeopener

This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2016, 11:49 PM   #73
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
That's true. As an employee you need to draw the line, or it will be drawn for you and you won't like it. I made a point to not reply to email outside of work hours. If the house is burning down, then they can call me. And tell you what, not a lot of things are that urgent that cannot be taken care of the next morning.

I remember my first internship, I literally do 12-14 hours every day. One of the coworkers told me something that I still remember: "You need to take care of yourself, nobody else here will do it for you".

There will always be those scumbag managers who know they are running people to the ground being understaffed but will do nothing because they look good with their boss. Remember those and don't become one of them later on. Take care of your staffs, they will take care of you.

Lots of people underestimate the feeling of being burnt out. It dawns on you and will transfer to your family. That's no way to live.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2016, 12:10 AM   #74
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
Quote:
Unexpected events occur and I want to deal with them right away, we have a no unscheduled overtime policy at work (for my department, anyways), and I don't like leaving things unfinished.
You can't complain about being at work an extra half an hour everyday when you're the one choosing to do so. The only person you can blame for that is yourself.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:09 AM   #75

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Exactly, I work 9-10 hours a day usually not taking a break including eating lunch at my desk continuing to work. I'm not going to complain I signed up for it, nobody forces me not to take lunch or even work more then 8 hours a day but if I don't I'll never be able to keep up with my workload.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: