REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:01 PM   #101
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
No, he's the madam....... male version, of course.
He says he reports to a supervisor though.
Advertisement
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:17 PM   #102
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
My old supervisor made >600k/year + bonus + they paid him to fly back and forth from YVR to YEG every week + they have paid for him to stay in a hotel room at the Westin for the last seven years straight. Interestingly, it was only recently that the Westin manager was like "okay, you really don't need to pack your bags every week, you can just keep the room" hahaha

Supervisor = Director.

Lot's of people just don't realize how much money there is in urinal pucks.

On a serious note though, if I could do it all again, I would have went to law school. I would make the world a better place - one divorce at a time.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2016, 08:20 PM   #103
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
So what do you do for a living?
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #104
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
So what do you do for a living?
If I remember, based on past posts something to do with oil or some crap like that. The salary as well as the perks seem pretty inline for any construction manager or project manager in the oil sands or heavy industrial projects. I know the construction manager, as well as the two lead mechanical and piping guys on one of the projects I am on make $1000 bucks a day.

It's like oil sands stuff, fly in work 2 or 3 weeks, fly home for a week. Then back to site to do it again. You work anywhere from 11-15 hours a day. There's variations to every site and project depending on travel requirements and what kind of exceptions they negotiate with the ministry of labour.

We're not talking about some magical position either. These are just tradespeople who worked 10-15 years on industrial projects, they became leaders on their sites, superintendents, foremen, etc. Then clients need people with their expertise to help on their projects. If you have a billion dollar capital project, you are willing to pay someone 500k to make sure it goes well.

All of us oil sands guys aren't as stupid as people think, this is specialized stuff we do. We don't just beat steel with a hammer, and walk around site with our knuckles dragging on the ground. When you start an average tradesperson at 45 bucks an hour or more, plus overtime, plus LOA, plus benefits. It's obvious that someone with a lot of expertise in this field is going to quickly start getting into the 1000 bucks a day range.

Anyway Jason will never answer clearly, just make jokes, and dangle emails about his salary in front of all of us peasants.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #105
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
That supervisors is dukes

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:31 PM   #106
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
damn, sorry, i didn't mean to de-rail this whole thread off from vsb lol.

its just that when you're in a union, they fought hard to get the work conditions to what they are now which is suppose to protect you and benefit you as an employee.

let me get this clear, i am not telling you how to do your job.

but when you do all this that contradicts the union and your employers agreements, you kind of set a tone where now your supervisor/manager may expect this from all their employees. but one thing though, is that you will shine when it comes to a promotion lol.

but also keep this in mind:

just don't let all these unpaid hours to start chewing at you. you need that work/life balance.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:26 PM   #107
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
But if work is what makes you happy and defines you, then what?

Plus your family helps out and it becomes a family thing, where they learn how to troubleshoot and help figure things out, learn new skills, etc.......... I've had that happen at one of my jobs and it was a good thing. Even to this day, my kids talk about it. Every situation is different and people deal with shit in different ways.

As for the glass thing, I'd drink all the water, then put the glass in my pocket....... walk through life with big pockets.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:04 AM   #108

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
If I remember, based on past posts something to do with oil or some crap like that. The salary as well as the perks seem pretty inline for any construction manager or project manager in the oil sands or heavy industrial projects. I know the construction manager, as well as the two lead mechanical and piping guys on one of the projects I am on make $1000 bucks a day.
I work for one of the major pipeline companies, position is essentially quality manager. I am reasonably well ticketed which comes in very handy with respect to wage negotiations - it doesn't matter if you want to hire me for project management, coordination, inspection, etc. you will pay a rate that is reflective of what I would make as a chief/senior inspector working in the field or you simply won't retain me.

For Meme, since nobody else will understand:
Spoiler!

Quote:
It's like oil sands stuff, fly in work 2 or 3 weeks, fly home for a week. Then back to site to do it again. You work anywhere from 11-15 hours a day. There's variations to every site and project depending on travel requirements and what kind of exceptions they negotiate with the ministry of labour.
I'm typically in the office Mon-Fri from 7:30am-4:30pm, though I do occasionally have to visit sites to piss on fires, babysit, or to simply bless everyone with my presence - when you are perceived to be a big wheel, the power of optics are remarkable.

Quote:
We're not talking about some magical position either. These are just tradespeople who worked 10-15 years on industrial projects, they became leaders on their sites, superintendents, foremen, etc. Then clients need people with their expertise to help on their projects. If you have a billion dollar capital project, you are willing to pay someone 500k to make sure it goes well.
So true, the best people are simply average ordinary people who have had the right exposure. The impact an effective construction manager can have on a 1B project is incredible, the good ones are a bargain @ 500k/year.

Quote:
All of us oil sands guys aren't as stupid as people think, this is specialized stuff we do. We don't just beat steel with a hammer, and walk around site with our knuckles dragging on the ground. When you start an average tradesperson at 45 bucks an hour or more, plus overtime, plus LOA, plus benefits. It's obvious that someone with a lot of expertise in this field is going to quickly start getting into the 1000 bucks a day range.
This is exactly it, even as a pipefitter I would make at least $60/hr, considering my ability to contribute I'm a relative bargain @ $100/hr.

Quote:
Anyway Jason will never answer clearly, just make jokes, and dangle emails about his salary in front of all of us peasants.
Clear as chalk.

On top of my full time position I am also paid a monthly retainer by an NDE company to be something of a subject matter expert.

Took 10 years to get here, I'm only 32, I still have so much time to completely fuck my life up.

I'm no smarter than the average bear, I work hard, I like the satisfaction of a job well done, and the universe has been rather kind to me with regards to timing and opportunities. I suspect if provided with the same opportunities, most people would have made it just as far as I did, if not farther.

Ugh, 9:03AM, late for a meeting lol
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #109
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
^ for a guy that makes so much money, you cheap out too much on cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2016, 09:48 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Spoiler!
The best post ever made on RS. Respect my man.

For those wondering:

Quote:
CWB Level 3
The Level 2 of this designation alone means that any individual will make $100 an hour, and that would be a bargain. Most people don't go past level 2, because for the most part not necessary, and it's a whole lot harder, and it adds a lot of responsibilities to signing your name on stuff (you can be held much more liable if something goes wrong with your level 3). Not sure if it's true someone told me years ago, there was only a few dozen level 3's in all of Canada.

I did quality work on one project near the beginning of my career, and I've done turnover management on a couple (Shuffling paperwork), while I can see the draw, I can't imagine doing it on a daily basis. I'm much more interested on the control side of projects. Schedules Management, change management, scope management, etc.

I'm a bit of a sadist, I deal specifically with projects that have begun to fail. I had a teacher tell me years ago:

Quote:
If someone phones you one day and offers you a job on his project which is halfway done and offers you a lot of money to come manage it. Run.
I didn't understand what he meant at first, until I got hired onto my first fucked up project. I spent the next two years cleaning up that mess, and I probably cut years off my own life in stress.

But I took what he said to heart, and I made a business out of specifically these projects. I hunt for projects that the budget has spiraled out of control, or behind schedule by months, etc. and I make it my business to fix them. Sometimes I am hired by the consultants, sometimes by a contractor, sometimes by the owner directly (best case scenario).

It's fun for me, something new every day, a new hurdle, a new challenge, and generally a new asshole for me to deal with.

So when you see me post negative or cynical posts on here, understand that I spend my days dealing with people who are in generally the worst hole they will be in their lives, and I see people at their very worst day-in-day-out.

@Jason - It's interesting you went from a fitter to a weld inspector. I've seen people make the jump from welder to fitter, and vice versa. And obviously many welders jump to being inspectors. Just never seen someone go from fitting and get their inspection tickets. Unless you are a ticketed welder as well?

Old 10-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #111
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I guess since this has turned into a general employment thread....

What's a good way to figure out your worth? Is it generally acceptable in an office-place to ask others in a similar capacity as you how much they make?
chouchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouchou View Post
What's a good way to figure out your worth? Is it generally acceptable in an office-place to ask others in a similar capacity as you how much they make?
The topic of salary is a touchy one with many people. I know for me I usually make a joke of some sort about how I am an unpaid intern, get paid in trident layers, etc.

If you are among friends who discuss that sort of thing, or the conversation is going there, then that's one thing. Otherwise the topic is a little taboo, or at least in my mind.

If you did need to figure it out, I'd recommend seeing a career counselor, or even a placement agency (like Aerotech), they can help you figure out your worth based on skills, industry, experience, etc.

Failing that if you really want to bring the conversation up with someone, take the asking for help route, rather than the I'm a nosey jerk route. AKA strike a conversation about work, and talk about how you saw another opening and the pay seemed a bit better. I think from there you can transition into the topic of money rather easily. You need to make it seem like your asking for their advice, and hope that they open up about it. Just walking up to someone and outright asking them what they get paid, will make you look like a douche.

This is all my opinion, I know others who couldn't care less, and if someone wants to know they will just yell it aloud.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #113
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Quote:
Took 10 years to get here, I'm only 32, I still have so much time to completely fuck my life up.

I'm no smarter than the average bear, I work hard, I like the satisfaction of a job well done, and the universe has been rather kind to me with regards to timing and opportunities. I suspect if provided with the same opportunities, most people would have made it just as far as I did, if not farther.

Ugh, 9:03AM, late for a meeting lol
This is why even with your narcissistic, crybaby, Chihuahua owning persona, I still think you are a guy I'd love to sit down and have a beer or 10 with. Regardless of your success, unlike so many people in your position, you know you aren't this fucking special specimen of a human. Respect.
Humility goes a long way.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #114
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,568 Times in 1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
School Board is one of our clients. Let's not even talk about the abuse of the long term disability plan by some district employees, or as we call it "early retirement". It's quite mindblowing if you see the waste behind the scenes.

VSB is definitely having issues right now in terms of budget, their 4 of their trustees have gone on stress leave (disability of course). So that tells you what's going on right now.
Check the date on this post... told ya
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:05 PM   #115

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Check the date on this post... told ya
They went on stress leave to delay the deadline for making a decision on which schools they would close (to balance the budeget) so overall they got what they wanted.

They were gonna get fired anyways as they were never going to get a balanced budget.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #116
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
The topic of salary is a touchy one with many people. I know for me I usually make a joke of some sort about how I am an unpaid intern, get paid in trident layers, etc.

Failing that if you really want to bring the conversation up with someone, take the asking for help route, rather than the I'm a nosey jerk route. AKA strike a conversation about work, and talk about how you saw another opening and the pay seemed a bit better. I think from there you can transition into the topic of money rather easily. You need to make it seem like your asking for their advice, and hope that they open up about it. Just walking up to someone and outright asking them what they get paid, will make you look like a douche.

This is all my opinion, I know others who couldn't care less, and if someone wants to know they will just yell it aloud.
This is good advice--as you point out, if you approach it from the "asking for help" or "wanting to learn" route, people will often be more open and helpful.

Or, people often are more open to talk about salary ranges for a particular profession or position.

Alternatively, for the public sector, you can look up information on employees who make 75k or up. Note that in many cases, the number includes how much the benefits are worth, pension contributions, etc., so that it's a total number, rather than just salary.

Public Sector Salaries - Vancouver Sun - Basic Search

You can also search by job titles via the advanced search, but not all roles have the same title--best to try different variations.

This may give you a rough sense of what folks in specific positions can make, though of course the specifics vary, based on experience, sector, etc.

Public Sector Salaries - Vancouver Sun - Advanced Search
prolepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #117
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts