REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 10-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #26
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
ya for sure....I've been with rogers for 16 years so forgive the questions:

1) order new sim card online from PM
2) once received set up plan then port number
3) cancel with rogers
Skip step 3. Once you port out it automactically cancels rogers service. Just make sure you dont have a device balance you owe them.
Advertisement
kenleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex123 View Post
Oh wow I thought it was only for the first 90 days and then you're screwed. But if you can renew that is pretty sweet. I'm on the Koodo $48 though but this would work well for my parents!
My sister was on the $48 plan but made the switch cuz she didnt go over 4GB and had no use for the Canada wide mins.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #28
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
if you guys dnt mind doing a bit more work, Koodo has one of the best plans... otherwise this would be #2...
Old 10-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #29
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
if you guys dnt mind doing a bit more work, Koodo has one of the best plans... otherwise this would be #2...
What do you mean 'a bit of work'?
Old 10-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #30
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
I'm on the koodo $48 plan and on the fence on switching. Don't really use the province-wide calling but I've on some occasions went over the 5.75 gb data that I have. Ultimately I'd be saving $240 a year switching to this. Hmmmmm
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
What do you mean 'a bit of work'?
To get the $48 Koodo Manitoba 5GB plan

1) Go to any local Koodo Store / Kiosk.
2) Ask for a MB # (Being Specific with city name helps) with the cheapest Month-to-Month (Post-Paid) plan (If they do not give MB#, get a local # for ON/BC/AB)
3) Do not insert the SIM into your phone (if you absolutely must, then you can use it, I recommend just completing the process first)
4) Go home, sign up for Self-Serve account using the same email address you provided them at sign up / log into your Self-serve account.
5) If you got the MB# then wait until next billing cycle (usually 4-9 Days -- can check online in your account*)
-- If you got a ON / BC / AB #, change your # online to a MB (Click on Self Serve -- Phone Services -- Change Number)
6) On 1st Day of your billing cycle log in to self serve account - Change plan to $48 MB (Click on Self Serve -- Phone Services -- Change my plan)
7) Wait 24 hours**, Port - In your #. (Click on Self Serve -- Phone Services -- Change Number)
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2016, 04:41 PM   #32
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
ya for sure....I've been with rogers for 16 years so forgive the questions:

1) order new sim card online from PM
2) once received set up plan then port number
3) cancel with rogers
Do not follow #3 unless you want to lose your number.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #33
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenleu View Post
Skip step 3. Once you port out it automactically cancels rogers service. Just make sure you dont have a device balance you owe them.
nope i don't and my phone is already unlocked since i used it overseas while travelling. just need to get my wife's unlocked (any tips or just rogers?) then we're good.

this is province only calling? so if i'm in whistler calling a local number there's no long distance? or calling back to vancouver? that's out primary use. don't do much within canada calling and if we need to we can just use skype or what ever's cheapest.
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #34
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
I have been with PM since Aug when they had the same plan but with 2GB of data (6GB for 90days).

Speed is great as expected from Telus' LTE. And for those who do want Canada-wide, I believe it's 5bucks extra a month. But I don't call LD too often (when I do, I just use FaceTime/FB msgr... etc) so I just added the $8/200min add-on. This 200min never expires as long as you keep the plan... I have used 2min since I joined PM... so, the $8 add-on can probably last me a good year.

Overall it's a solid deal for people who don't want to risk with MB plan that one day Koodo decides to crack down. And TBH, $10 extra per month (PM plan is 38/mth on average if you set auto-pay) for 1 more GB of data and Canada-wide, I'm not convinced it's worth it.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:33 AM   #35
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I have been with PM since Aug when they had the same plan but with 2GB of data (6GB for 90days).

Speed is great as expected from Telus' LTE. And for those who do want Canada-wide, I believe it's 5bucks extra a month. But I don't call LD too often (when I do, I just use FaceTime/FB msgr... etc) so I just added the $8/200min add-on. This 200min never expires as long as you keep the plan... I have used 2min since I joined PM... so, the $8 add-on can probably last me a good year.

Overall it's a solid deal for people who don't want to risk with MB plan that one day Koodo decides to crack down. And TBH, $10 extra per month (PM plan is 38/mth on average if you set auto-pay) for 1 more GB of data and Canada-wide, I'm not convinced it's worth it.
I know you said it runs off telus coverage, but how is it underground and basements? The more i use rogers the more i noticed blackspots and shitty coverage underground and in basements. Debating if i should make the switch, on the old 6gb/student plan with $8 caller id add-on for $68 + tax a month.

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:12 AM   #36
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Can't seem to find this on the website, but does this also include vm, CID etc?
raysquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:39 AM   #37
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC21 View Post
I know you said it runs off telus coverage, but how is it underground and basements? The more i use rogers the more i noticed blackspots and shitty coverage underground and in basements. Debating if i should make the switch, on the old 6gb/student plan with $8 caller id add-on for $68 + tax a month.
You can try out the coverage for 10 days if you get the sim card with a 10-day plan with minimal options. Try it out.

Honestly, each network has it's quirks. When I was on Rogers, I had coverage in the work bathroom. When I moved to VM, it was non-existent in the same spot, but I noticed significantly less dropped calls in a specific area on my way home. With PM, you're covered by a big 3 network. It isn't Wind. I suspect you'll be fine if you want to save ~$20 a month going to PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysquared View Post
Can't seem to find this on the website, but does this also include vm, CID etc?
The plan does included CID and VM yes.

I just switched over the weekend from a 1GB/$40 Virgin plan. I've had no issues over the weekend, and the port literally took seconds (the time it took to restart my phone).

Last edited by m3thods; 10-31-2016 at 03:12 PM.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:49 PM   #38
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
You can try out the coverage for 10 days if you get the sim card. Try it out.

Honestly, each network has it's quirks. When I was on Rogers, I had coverage in the work bathroom. When I moved to VM, it was non-existent in the same spot, but I noticed significantly less dropped calls in a specific area on my way home. With PM, you're covered by a big 3 network. It isn't Wind. I suspect you'll be fine if you want to save ~$20 a month going to PM.

The plan does included CID and VM yes.

I just switched over the weekend from a 1GB/$40 Virgin plan. I've had no issues over the weekend, and the port literally took seconds (the time it took to restart my phone).
PM has a 10 day trial period? On a side note, didnt know virgn mobile still exist.

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #39
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

just ordered two sim cards. now to get my wife's phone unlocked.
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:11 PM   #40
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC21 View Post
PM has a 10 day trial period? On a side note, didnt know virgn mobile still exist.
I'm sorry I worded that incorrectly. I meant to say get a 10 day plan no talk no text and 150mb data. That should give you an idea on data coverage. It comes up to $15. That's a small price to pay imo if you are having cold feet. DO NOT PORT YOUR NUMBER IN THIS CASE. Just set it up and try it out. IIRC reading the thread seems to suggest that you can port your number in after the fact.

If you're happy, sign up for the promo plan and port your number in.

Edit: last message here: http://productioncommunity.publicmob...ion/td-p/25263

Last edited by m3thods; 10-31-2016 at 03:18 PM.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #41

What LTE speeds are you getting? Im only getting ~8Mbps on an iphone 5
vixroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #42
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
^

30~40mbps down, 15-25mbps up. I'm still on the older plan with half the data though. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #43
Need my Daily Fix of RS

most likely will switch over as well. Wind sometimes I have trouble even getting calls or even getting on to the internet.
JShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #44
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

So what happens after the 90 days? Can you still keep the plan or do you have to get a different one?

Thinking of getting this plan for my aunt. I want to make sure the process of this is easy for her after the 90 days

Last edited by guurl; 11-03-2016 at 04:45 PM.
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by guurl View Post
So what happens after the 90 days? Can you still keep the plan or do you have to get a different one?
If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises.

Limited Time 4GB / $40 Plan Promo launching Octobe... - Community
vixroar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #46
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
So what if I'm good with only 3gb over 3 months? ($111)

If I chose that plan, do I still get to keep that price as long as I continue to be an active customer? Or does this only work with the 12gb $120 plan?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #47
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
So what if I'm good with only 3gb over 3 months? ($111)

If I chose that plan, do I still get to keep that price as long as I continue to be an active customer? Or does this only work with the 12gb $120 plan?
you gucccccccciiiiii
Old 11-03-2016, 10:11 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixroar View Post
If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises.

Limited Time 4GB / $40 Plan Promo launching Octobe... - Community
Ohhhhh ok makes sense now. You just have to pay $120 upfront every time though? Not 40/month.

It confused me when I read about somebody already having public mobile before this deal and then they switched lol maknig me think that they have to get a different deal every 90 days
Old 11-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #49
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Is there someone who has used both Fido and Telus comment on their reception? I am currently on Fido, and I was always under the impression that Fido/Rogers has a bit more towers than Telus/Bell.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:22 PM   #50

^ I used fido before and it seems to be the same for me. Currently using Koodo (basically telus). Customer service way better than fido for sure. Lol
This post thanked by: