REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #26
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Thank you! this is exactly the type of recommendations i was hoping to get.
If they ask how you found out about them, please tell them some old fart from VCMC sent you.
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:53 PM   #27
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,681 Times in 3,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teggy604 View Post
Like someone mention earlier, can't have it both ways. if you are putting 20K annually buy a beater and drive the GT on weekends. You wouldn't be saving anything really since you are racking up the mileage on the GT it will just lead to bigger and more expensive services faster.
I have a beater but i just enjoy driving the car. Every sunny day i get since i got her in 2012 ive taken her out (and a few road trips). Actually at 52,000kms she's been pretty reliable so far (knock on exotic wood). Nothing extra needed outside of regular service. The engine is a pretty stout ferrari block and the transmission is a ZF 6 speed.

I dont know if you guys ever dealt with the ferrari/maserati dealership in vancouver but the pricing is a bit insane.

Front Brake job w/ rotors = $7000
1st annual service = 1000
2nd annual service = 2000
3rd annual service = 2500
4th annual service = 4000
5 annual service = 1000
and then it repeats.

In all honesty its just a oil change for these "annual services". They lube the door hinges, rotate the tires (which last only 15,000kms), top up fluids and you are out the door within 1.5 hours. Considering the mileage i do on the maz, ive been doing 2 per year and its adding up quite a bit.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Thank you! this is exactly the type of recommendations i was hoping to get.
Edwin is a very good guy, new shop. The cars in there are drool worthly, lots of track rat cars there. I do some service work there for my Aston.....I would also recommend carline close to Dynamic on Bridgeport and no. 5. The owner is the mechanic there as well. They do most of SR Auto's performance work. Another reputable shop ins Performance One. Same owners as Autowest BMW, just lower rates. Cheerss.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2016, 01:04 PM   #29
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,681 Times in 3,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
Edwin is a very good guy, new shop. The cars in there are drool worthly, lots of track rat cars there. I do some service work there for my Aston.....I would also recommend carline close to Dynamic on Bridgeport and no. 5. The owner is the mechanic there as well. They do most of SR Auto's performance work. Another reputable shop ins Performance One. Same owners as Autowest BMW, just lower rates. Cheerss.
Much appreciated man.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #30
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77civic1200 View Post
Like Maseratis?

I think the part people are amused by is the fact that he bought the expensive flashy car, but didn't expect it to cost more to maintain. If he wanted to save money he could have bought a corolla, but he wanted people to see him in a exotic. You can't have it both ways
Why do we, a car forum, we make negative assumptions others based on their preference for a car. Have you ever thought, yenno, the guy enjoys the driving experience of a Maserati? Mindblowing isn't it?

Bad example, but...Say you buy a house with 3 bedrooms so you can have your kids can run around inside and out, your wife can enjoy gardening in the backyard, and a garage for you to work on your car on the weekend. Yet, you pick and choose cheaper alternatives say, for renovations, a plumber or a locksmith, and whatnot, instead of going to the most convenient, but ridiculously expensive option. Is it fair game for me or Joe Blow (someone who lives in a 1 BR condo or townhouse) to criticize you (owner of a "flashy, exotic", house) for nickel and diming instead of going the more expensive route just because I can safely assume that you can?

Last edited by Galactic_Phantom; 10-31-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2016, 01:53 PM   #31

Quote:
No personal experience with Performance One -- but I remember an incident posted here on Revscene that one of the RS members took their Porsche to Performance One for some sort of service, and a major mishap took place. I don't remember the exact details, but Performance One denied responsibility of any wrongdoings. The Porsche owner ended up suing Performance One, and I don't remember exactly how things went through.

I was trying to look up the thread, but apparently I can't -- either the mods locked it, deleted it, or something happened to it.

The incident may or may not be indicative of Performance One's current level of customer service, but the fact that it happened raised a few alarms in my head.

For Dynamic Performance, they are operating in a new and expanded space, but the shop itself has been around for quite a few years. Their previous shop space used to be a bit further down west on Bridgeport.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:55 PM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
No personal experience with Performance One -- but I remember an incident posted here on Revscene that one of the RS members took their Porsche to Performance One for some sort of service, and a major mishap took place. I don't remember the exact details, but Performance One denied responsibility of any wrongdoings. The Porsche owner ended up suing Performance One, and I don't remember exactly how things went through.

I was trying to look up the thread, but apparently I can't -- either the mods locked it, deleted it, or something happened to it.

The incident may or may not be indicative of Performance One's current level of customer service, but the fact that it happened raised a few alarms in my head.

For Dynamic Performance, they are operating in a new and expanded space, but the shop itself has been around for quite a few years. Their previous shop space used to be a bit further down west on Bridgeport.
You appear to be right, the thread is gone. Which means it is hidden from appearing by one of the mods.

Last I saw of the thread the guy was bumping it unnecessarily and one of the mods told him to stop, but that it won't be deleted. Now it appears to be deleted.

Either way in that instance Perf one lost the case and had to pay the guy, I don't know if that means they aren't trustworthy, but I guess if you asked that guy, he would tell you they aren't...

I hesitate to rely on third party reviews (such as the information I am posting here about Performance one), cause the facts get twisted by each person as the story goes around. Just like that game in elementary school, where each person whispers a sentence into the next's ear, and at the end it's like a completely different story.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

The GT3 customer issue is a prime example of being guilty and having to prove your innocence on social media. In this case, Performance One. Mike, the GM of Performance One is a friend of mine. I have know him 10+ years when he was at Autowest BMW. From my history with Mike, he has always been a stand up guy, one of the most honest guys I know actually. As you can imagine there are two sides to every story. When I saw Mike at a bday party in the summer I ask Mike specifically about this story on Revscene. To be frank with you, it looked bad for Performance One on Revscene, until I heard the other side of the story. Long story short, the GT3 owner is a scammer. Porsche Vancouver have banned him because of his shady history. They won't touch his car. When he brought his GT3 to performance one, his car was already smoking from an overfill he did himself. He then blamed Performance One for the issue. There is a reason the whole thread has been deleted. I would love the owner of the GT3 to provide his side of the story, but dealers don't ban customers for no reason.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2016, 04:05 PM   #34
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teggy604 View Post
Like someone mention earlier, can't have it both ways. if you are putting 20K annually buy a beater and drive the GT on weekends. You wouldn't be saving anything really since you are racking up the mileage on the GT it will just lead to bigger and more expensive services faster.
Maybe the OP wants to actually enjoy the expensive car he bought rather than spend his maintenance money on some shitty old beater to keep KMs off of the car he purchased TO DRIVE.
OP maybe call up SCAN? They have a 575M parked at the shop, so I can at least assume they handle some italian cars. I've been happy with my experience there, and my car is there right now. They have some amazing cars go through there (obviously, I just said mine was there) and they are at least worth a call. That said I'd call TSS and check them out as well. I have no idea if they have exotic experience, but have no doubts in there abilities to deal with them if they say they can.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2016, 04:07 PM   #35

Quote:
The GT3 customer issue is a prime example of being guilty and having to prove your innocence on social media. In this case, Performance One. Mike, the GM of Performance One is a friend of mine. I have know him 10+ years when he was at Autowest BMW. From my history with Mike, he has always been a stand up guy, one of the most honest guys I know actually. As you can imagine there are two sides to every story. When I saw Mike at a bday party in the summer I ask Mike specifically about this story on Revscene. To be frank with you, it looked bad for Performance One on Revscene, until I heard the other side of the story. Long story short, the GT3 owner is a scammer. Porsche Vancouver have banned him because of his shady history. They won't touch his car. When he brought his GT3 to performance one, his car was already smoking from an overfill he did himself. He then blamed Performance One for the issue. There is a reason the whole thread has been deleted. I would love the owner of the GT3 to provide his side of the story, but dealers don't ban customers for no reason.
From what I remember the Court sided with the owner of the car, therefore I think most people on here and elsewhere assumed he has some merrit to his case.

But I know how courts can be pretty fucked up... So maybe Perf. One did just really get butt fucked.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #36

^ the gt3 owner also worked for icbc. All I am saying he had the knowledge more so than your average joe to work the system
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 10-31-2016, 05:58 PM   #37
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
No one who works for ICBC should be able to afford a GT3.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:41 PM   #38
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
with our current hike in premiums and insurance, im pretty damn sure he can

or better yet, he better be able to afford a GT3

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
No one who works for ICBC should be able to afford a GT3.
via Imgflip Meme Generator

This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #40
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
OP asked a legit question and you guys rag on him about being cheap. I'm sure most people here would jump on the opportunity to not get raped by the dealership.

What a way to welcome someone.
yeah exactly, what's the problem with doing your DIY maintenance?
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #41
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
are there any maserati or ferrari message boards with a local west coast forum?

this is old but just an example...

Ferrari Service in Vancouver - FerrariChat.com
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #42
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
totally OT, but aren't high level positions in gov union exempt?
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #43
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Rich people are cheap as fuck. You guys are just surprise there's one that is on RS.

OP, so you have some options, besides what Z3guy suggested, I go to Comptech Performance on West 5th. Honest guys and there are some pretty nice cars there too. Give it a shot if they don't want to touch it, they will say so and recommend a place for you.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #44
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Rich people are cheap as fuck.
There's a difference between being cheap, and looking for value.
Cheap is buying a rebuilt Maserati, and having the oil changed at Mr Lube.
Looking for value is buying a quality Maserati, and having a good small mechanic take care of it.

The OP wasn't really clear on what he was looking for here.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #45
I STILL don't get it

Quote:

For people who doesn't know my GT3 Oil Change with Performance One, here is MY SIDE of the story:

"On May 15, 2015, I brought my vehicle to Performance One for an oil change. The oil change was done incorrectly, which required the car to be towed to the dealership to correct.

The dealership diagnosed the vehicle and determined that the issue was caused by over filling engine oil. They also found engine oil on the engine air filter housing, MAF sensor, throttle body, cylinder heads and exhaust. The dealership did not find any pre-existing damage to the vehicle, I paid for the dealership diagnostic examination, repair service and clean up out of my pocket.

Performance One denied any wrongdoing, and refused to reimburse me for the monies paid to correct their damage. I had to file a complaint to BC Small Claims Court, wherein the court ruled against Performance One, awarding me with the repair invoice amount, search fees and court fees. The judge also noted that AWG Performance One has wasted my time, their time, and the court time.

Making a mistake is one thing, but when a mistake is made by a business, one would expect they would own up to it and not need customers to take them to Court."

This was posted on Yelp and a few days later, it was hidden by Yelp, go figure. Click the link below and you will need to go to the bottom and click on "2 other reviews that are not currently recommended" to see.

Oh look! There is another complaint on Yelp about Performance One, and this guy spend $35k with them... Mike responded! I guess they failed to get Yelp to hide the negative review this time.

Yelp review on Performance One

RS mods has consulted me before my thread was removed, it was a business decision. How? Performance One is one of a bigger sponsor of RS. I'm not about to show you my discussion with the Mods, and I respect RS's decision. As a business owner myself, I would have done the same thing. Business is business. Same goes for Yelp.

I was the one who got the short end of the stick in my GT3 incident with Performance One. I drove my GT3 to P1, they did an oil change, car won't start and oil was pouring out from Engine bay. At the end Performance One paid my Porsche Vancouver repair invoice by court ruling. How did I gain from this I'm not sure.

If you are a shop and see a car come in with smoke coming out of the engine bay, would you work on it?
The day after the incident I asked Mike to provide the CCTV of what happened in the shop to prove them not guilty - they won't.

Porsche Vancouver helped me with the repair after Performance One's fuxk up. They also took a $5000 deposit from me for a GT car allocation after this Oil change incident. I'm banned from where? Cool story Bro.

It is now clear that Mike was the one making all the decision on behalf of Performance One; I gave him the benefit of doubt decisions where coming from above him.

Here is part of an email I received from Mike:
"As a small business, we pride ourselves in our customer service and the relationships we have with our clients. As we value you as a client, and without prejudice, we would like to offer you a good faith customer service credit of $500 towards labor for any performance or service work on your Porsche. We extend the offer to be accepted up to 30 days, after which it will become null and void."
Would you offer the guy who try to "Scam you" and then offer him a $500 credit? I think not.

STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM PERFORMANCE ONE...

Last edited by MC21; 11-01-2016 at 09:32 PM.
MC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #46
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
^ the gt3 owner also worked for icbc. All I am saying he had the knowledge more so than your average joe to work the system

Whoever your source is, he sucks big time.

To set the record straight, I have never worked at ICBC. I audited their claims leakage though.
MC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:09 PM   #47
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Had a meh experience with Dynamic when it came to fitting an aftermarket exhaust on the 997 TT but it's hard to play the blame game with aftermarket parts. I think with a simple oil change you won't have any problems with any of the shops mentioned (Dynamic, Performance One, etc.)

When the time came to change the exhaust back to stock and sell the 997, I took it to the shop I now take all my cars which is HBL Autosports. Eric, the owner, takes pride in his shop and really does a good job explaining the work for me. Also had the Huracan's brakes flushed at HBL pre-2016 track season for what I felt was a very reasonable rate.

Everything is going to cost more with exotic cars not necessarily because the fluids/filters are outrageously expensive, nor is it necessarily that much more difficult and time consuming to do an oil change. But IMO if a shop messes something up, they need that much more overhead to deal with an issue on an exotic than on a Civic/Miata. Frankly it would be a bit of a red flag for me if a shop doesn't charge a little more than you expect when it comes to exotics.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:18 PM   #48

^^ Yes, Eric@HBL is actually no stranger to high end cars. I have seen his shop working on Porsches, ///M, S-Line, AMG cars, and of course everything else -- including all the different cars in my family.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:42 AM   #49
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
if you want cheap, just change the oil by yourself?
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:41 AM   #50
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

The reasons why people fuck up on an oil change is due to these 3 factors:
1. draining the wrong fluid
2. over/under filling oil
3. over/under tightening drain bolts or filter/filter cap

Any person with a sound mind should be able to safely do it.
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote