REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner > Rider's Journals

Rider's Journals This section is for rider's and their journeys. Show off your bike, your build, or travel journals.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Yamaha 2008 R1

So I took home a new bike a couple weeks ago -- a 08 R1 with 37k on it. I was in the market for an R6. it was a daily search, but somehow I stumbled onto this R1. I've owned 3 bikes before this one and what caught me first was the colour and modifications. I always wanted to run a black and gold theme but couldnt justify putting any more money out on my Ninja 300 for it. This bike had mostly what I wanted to have done at a great price. I had the chance to take her out for an afternoon in the rain as I only ran a day permit. I will be insuring the bike in April, so it's a painful wait but i guess that's part of the game when you pick up such a steal in the off season.

The mileage was a bit of a turn off, but considering that-- it's in wonderful condition. A bit of maintenance work I'm not too worried about, and it'll be a bit of fun and a good learning experience (pls dont make me eat my words). This build will mostly be about maintenance. The bike was also an Alberta bike, I am the third owner. The VIN ran clean and with 0 claims.

Modifcations:
Termignoni exhaust + Y pipe
Scorpio 2 way alarm system
CRG levers
Power Commander 3
HIDs 8k low beam
Solo seat cowl
Oxford Heated grips.
Flush mounts + integrated tail light.

Well the first thing I did when i brought her home was put her through a full detail including clay bar and polish. Black is a tough colour to take care of but it turned out great. I plan to go for a black and gold theme and have some little goodies coming in to complete the look. the previous owner decided to spray paint the pegs black and they are now peeling. I will either peel the spray paint off or have them powder coated down the road.

The owner decided to get rid of the R1 sticker and peeled the termi decal on the exhaust, as he preferred more of a stealth look. I will be replacing both of these.

I had the oil, coolant, and spark plugs replaced this weekend.

I measured about 2.9 litres of oil coming out -- the spec is approx 3.1, pretty negligible and im not quite sure when the last oil change was completed so I do have a good base now. Filled up with Motul 5100, will put in fully synthetic next oil change.

Most of the fairing bolts are quick release, so a 90 degree turn and they're off quite quickly. I had the coolant replaced with Honda type 2 coolant.

There was a ton of road grime collected on the bottom of these fairings that I missed/ were not easy to get out when I detailed it. It was a lot easier to get to with it off the bike and i decided to give it another polish before throwing it back on.

The plugs were okay to get to-- since I had the fairings off it was nice I only had to go a few extra steps to reach the plugs. The top air intake channel had to be removed and the radiator mounts dropped. Then I could get my hands in there. I decided to put in iridium plugs as noted by NGK as a performance plug. The wear on the old plugs look pretty normal and actually don't look too bad of shape -- however I didn't check the gaps on the old ones nor do I know when they were last done. Plugs ran me approx $30 bucks so why not?

I decided to do a compression test while I had everything out. It tested at an even 190psi across the board, and a squirt of oil saw little increase. I also had an adapter installed to connect to these smaller than usual m10 plugs compared to cars which may have created some losses. I wasn't able to find what the specification was but I feel pretty confident seeing these numbers are even.

How does my sprocket look? from what i've read they shouldn't look jagged or curled. They do look a little thin though. for that matter the tires are in okay shape, maybe around 60% so I may end up needing to do those also. It may be a good time for me to learn how to rip the rims out

..He also said the air filter was replaced last year. Uhhhhh . I was able to get a peak through the intake pipe. They are filthy and will be done probably closer to spring. Tank removal looks like it'll be fun :P

The heated grips work wonderful. The grips themselves have a great texture and the heat @ 100% is so damn hot.

Plans this winter? I am debating whether to get rid of the front turn signals because they are not as bright as I'd like. I'm going to take a look at what kind of mappings been done on the power commander and to backup the map. The weights been tuned to someone about 180lbs whereas I sit closer to 150 with gear on. I will have it professionally done when I get more riding done just so I can really appreciate a good suspension tune. Also will be getting some new running lights up front shortly. The flush front turn signals look great, but visibility is horrible. The rear integrated tail lamp isn't the brightest either so i'll need to figure out what to do with that.
Advertisement

Last edited by dn53; 06-15-2020 at 07:42 PM.
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #2
I STILL don't get it

Fuuuuuuu I was looking to buy this bike into our shops inventory. I wanted to ride it as a demo. I actually did an appraisal on it. The guy you bought it from told me he had found a private seller before I could get the final numbers to him. Congrats on the bike man! That bike was a great deal at what he had it priced at. We were going to mark it up a bit compared to what it sat at. It has a pretty gnarly dyno graph with it.

Sprocket has lots of life on it btw. When the teeth become very sharp it is time to replace. Flat tops like pictured aren't anything to worry about. I've seen sprockets brought into the shop that are spikes and bent sideways lol. The valves also sounded in spec when I heard it running so don't worry too much about that.

Last edited by prudz; 11-01-2016 at 09:58 AM.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #3

Thanks, it was quite a rush when i purchased the bike, he told me he had alot of people Interested but would hold it for me.

The owner seemed like a nice guy, but I am always skeptical and thank you for the heads up about the sprocket, I honestly have no idea. I am a car mechanic by trade but I'm looking forward to working on this bike
Old 11-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dn53 View Post
I am a car mechanic by trade
not a good one either
Old 11-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #5

scum have fun doing your alignment alone
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
I STILL don't get it

Haha ya man, I followed up with that guy for 3 days trying to get him to just sell it to the shop. You got a pretty badass bike. My recommendation would be to pop off the rear tire since it should be replaced anyway, and get the front and rear powder coated gold. Would look real nice! I'm partial to that colour scheme probably because this is how my old R6 looked lol

This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #7
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn53 View Post
scum have fun doing your alignment alone
Old 11-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #8

little update,

Put in some Phillips bright white 194 LEDS to help refresh the front. In previous vehicles i've put in other no name brand bulbs and they always turn out either blueish or flickering after awhile.

Decided to polish up the tail pipe as they had some soot buildup.

I used a bit of steel wool with some rubbing compound. Followed up with some polish. Only took about 10 minutes

I threw on some rim tape. I know a lot of guys think its tacky but I personally loved how it turned out. I may down the road powder coat the rims but I'm happy with how it looks right now. I also polished up the Y pipe/muffler as little bit as it was looking pretty crusty.

Went to pick up my R1 OEM decals today. They were steep @ $50 for both sides but I really felt like I was missing a big part of my theme without it.

Last edited by dn53; 11-10-2016 at 05:58 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #9
Editor

yo bud, whats up with your chain?
Old 11-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
I STILL don't get it

Digging the wheel tape! That looks slick. Decals complete it too.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #11

It's spring time! some stuff I did over the past few months,

Installed some shogun frame sliders. I ran into some issues after removing the old bracket for the frame sliders (pucks were missing.. i wonder why ). On the right side of the bike the bolt came out bent out of shape, likely from an impact. I had to tap the holes and fortunately was able to have it torqued up to spec.

Threw on some stickers, restored the termi logo on the exhaust and the gold tuning forks on the tank.

Decided to wrap the front tank piece in carbon 5d wrap. i had someone do it and it turned out great. While I had the gas tank off I also removed the k&n filter and thoroughly cleaned it, and lightly re-oiled it with k&n air filter treatment.

And on Sunday we finally got better acquainted. I threw on a day permit and took her out for a fun ride. I've ordered some Bridgestone S21's and a tail bag, so i'm pretty excited about that! Also tried looking up the mapping on the Power Commander but don't have a 9v battery adapter. Will probably fabricate something, which is what a few guys online seem to be doing

Last edited by dn53; 03-22-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
I STILL don't get it

Bike looks great. I'm really digging the rim tape.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2017, 11:09 PM   #13

Update time! Just going through my photo reel and seeing what I can actually pick out of the Icloud

Installed some new tires. had Kevin at Bayside Performance mount the tires on the rims for me. Was in and out in less than 2 hrs, was great. Tires were fantastic all summer.

I purchased a Nelson Rigg tail bag, It's much more convenient than lugging a backpack around and it's great for the longer rides. I can fit a hoodie, water bottle, some snacks, and the phone and wallet, leaving me feeling a lot more comfortable on the bike.

Had the pleasure of riding to Winthrop with a friend. It's now my most favourite route to travel. if you haven't the chance to go: do it!! I believe its about a 900 km round trip from Vancouver In fact, I liked it so much, I did it again the following week!!

One of the many Squamish rides. This one happened to be the last one of the season in early September..

It started off with the check engine light coming on, shortly after all the exterior/dash lights went out and i was able to coast it off onto the shoulder. The bike wouldnt turn over, and I had to call for a tow. Fortunately, it died on a hill and after this photo I actually rolled it down to the end of a highway exit lol. After a long tow ride home (thank god for BCAA), first thing I did was jump the bike and noticed it would start but would die shortly after. I was able to download the service manual for my bike and even found the diagnosis tree for a no charging situation. After a few checks, I was able to narrow it down to the rectifier.

I ordered one on ebay for $25 from New York originally (china brand) but it never showed up. I got my money back, and really started to rethink my decision of getting a 25$ rectifier. For piece of mind, I decided to order a OEM one from Bike Bandit @180cdn.

I took the tank off to make sure the connector on the rectifier was good. You can see it pictured in the air ducting. The bike currently sits like this.

I was finally able to connect to the Power Commander after having to order a special USB cable for the Power Commander (apparently not all usb cables will work -- i tried 4 different ones including one for my go pro). I also found out there was no firmware on my PC . I was able to look up a premapped one for my bike/exhaust combination so I got that ready to go for next season. I'm curious what kind of difference the map will make

Along with the rectifier, I ordered some new EBC front and rear pads, a new chain and sprocket by vortex, and some necessary gaskets for the valve clearance check i'll be doing soon. I unfortunately used all my vacation time last year, but this year I'm planning on saving a few days to commit to the track! After these maintenance items, I should be all set !
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #14
I STILL don't get it

Sign up for the May event! We need more people or the spots will get given to another car group. Looks like you had an awesome summer!