REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #1
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
11b For ticket dispute

Anyone have experience with an 11b claim on a ticket dispute? I finally got notice for a dispute (light bar) and the court date will be 13.5 months after the violation ticket was issued.

Section 11(b) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the right to a trial within a reasonable period of time.

Berz out.
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I think it's over 36 months without the delay being any fault of your own, not 100% but I have a friend going through this with a co-accused that has been delaying so long my friend may get off under this statute (though it is criminal court, not sure if traffic is different)
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
So far my research says 10 months or more is liable for 11b IF it's no fault of your own. If you delay or postpone then it's negated.

Berz out.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #4
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Never used this argument in court before but hope this helps.
Raising a Charter Issue in Traffic Court | DriveSmartBC

I think your best bet is to consult an actual lawyer as opposed to asking RS and getting a response like Zedbra's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

There is case law that indicates that a period of 14 to 18 months is an acceptable period of delay in instances of institutional delay; however, the truth is, that is just a guideline and there really is no hard and fast rule.

In your case, you would likely have to show that there is a fear of actual prejudice/harm occasioned by the delay and it is not simply a general assertion that memories fade over time.
ChaKo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith

It depends on the courts in your jurisdiction. In Richmond, 18+ months was the norm for a ticket to get to trial. Here in my area of the north, Traffic court is only once a month (I think?) and there aren't a lot of disputed tickets, so trials are set within ~6-8 months.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:19 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaKo View Post

In your case, you would likely have to show that there is a fear of actual prejudice/harm occasioned by the delay and it is not simply a general assertion that memories fade over time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
It depends on the courts in your jurisdiction. In Richmond, 18+ months was the norm for a ticket to get to trial. Here in my area of the north, Traffic court is only once a month (I think?) and there aren't a lot of disputed tickets, so trials are set within ~6-8 months.
These guys hit it. The most important thing you'll have to determine first is whether or not you can show that you've been effected by prejudice in the legal system. Will the outcome of the hearing be different in your case because of your delay? How so? Prejudice that the courts look for are the types that risk your liberty or your ability to make a full answer or defence to your charge. In which case, you have a tougher case to show that you will experience prejudice since it's a simple light bar infraction.

Although it doesn't specifically say 11b is for criminal charges only, I believe the thought behind this right was to ensure that you're not held in prison waiting for trial or your fear of being incarcerated isn't prolonged any more than it needs to be. This can have serious effects on an accused. The anxiety of having a motor vehicle infraction isn't really along the same lines. This might be the reason why you are not given points, fines or suspensions while your traffic violation is being scheduled and awaiting to be heard before a court; an effort to minimize any undue hardships you may experience by waiting a long time for your hearing.

The courts also look at the jurisdictional resources to determine what is reasonable and what is not. A jurisdiction with one judge will likely have a different standard of reasonableness than a jurisdiction that has enough resources to be able to provide you with a speedy opportunity to be heard before a judiciary. (it's late and I'm tired so I apologize if what I'm saying is all over the place.)

Last edited by parm104; 11-21-2016 at 12:27 AM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:37 AM   #8
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Anyone have experience with an 11b claim on a ticket dispute? I finally got notice for a dispute (light bar) and the court date will be 13.5 months after the violation ticket was issued.

Section 11(b) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the right to a trial within a reasonable period of time.

Berz out.
I recall doing this a long time ago. I challenged it in court and won. Not sure what the procedure is nowadays, but back then, you had to inform the detachment or officer who wrote the ticket that you intend to argue under the statute within 14 days of the trial date. I think you had to submit it in writing. I did that and when the court date came up and I stood in front of her worship, she asked the police officer if crown had a representative (I think the officer just being there was not enough). He said no, so the ticket got thrown out.

That's all I remember. I researched the procedure and found the details on a site called FYST (Fight Your Speeding Ticket).

EDIT: found the site..........

http://fyst.ca

If you read the "important notice about this site," you'll see that the original site is no longer there. I remember the original link having the magma part in the URL.

http://www.magma.ca/~fyst

I recall the original site had more content......... although memory nowadays isn't as good as it used to be.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 11-21-2016 at 01:43 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:11 AM   #9
I bringith the lowerballerith

That's correct. You have to make a Charter challenge at the court registry. The matter then goes before a provincial court judge with police being represented by Crown (instead of acting on behalf of crown in traffic court). Unless you have experience in the courtroom and with Charter challenges, it's recommended that you obtain a lawyer.

If the challenge is successful, the ticket is tossed. If unsuccessful, the trial may take place right away in front of the judge, or it may be sent back to traffic court at another date.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote