REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 11-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
Kitchen & Bathroom Reno's

So I bought a house in Mission (so far but I have a big ass house for way cheaper then the lower mainland) in the process of gutting the kitchen for a new one and this is the progress over the last couple of weekends.

the kitchen was so ghetto lol

This was a shitty built in pantry we are getting custom made

[img]https://s22.postimg.org/z1u2qwmxt/15078589_10155425686108452_390636044501584954_n.jp g[/img

Taking this door out so we can put the fridge where it was and run more cabinets

it's going to be ghetto living for the next 3-4 weeks sadly

Picked up a tankless hot water unit and new furnace so we are removing this portion of wall and venting so we can upgrade to a custom 58" vanity from a 48" which is whats currently there

The wall next to the pantry, I moved the gas line to the middle cause the idiots had the stove right next to the pantry wtf..

I had a 8 person hot tub I decided to cut up as well because it was old and sucked. The thing was massive and its going to add so much more deck space

This work is all the past 2 Saturday's, we have all new appliances coming in on Dec10th and hopefully the custom cabinets and counter tops will arrive that time as well. Going to leave the flooring bare for now since we are going to run the same hardwood in the entire upstairs of the house.

Going to hopefully be a pimp setup once done but fuck its a lot of work in such a short period of time. Going to get on it more this weekend which I might scrape the ceiling in the kitchen and dining room cause who likes that popcorn shit.

The New tankless and furnace are so fricken nice

Advertisement
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,330 Times in 5,645 Posts
i was considering making a similar thread as we are renovating our house right now as well.. ours is 108 years old though so yea.. it's been a bit different to say the least lol.

Hope you're wearing respirators in the demo, house looks like a prime candidate for asbestos if you havent had it checked out already.

How much did the on-demand water set you back? my plumber (who i had never used before, was a referall who would come to Van) was trying to push a Rinai system on me, as i had to use a direct or power vent system because i no longer want to vent out my chimney. the on demand he was pushing was gonna be like $3600+ installed. I managed to get a 50 gallon power vented tank for $1100 taxes in, So imo didnt make much sense to go tankless as if the tankless had cost me $0 per year, it would still take 11 years to pay off the difference.

edit* looks like you've got a similar situation we were in with those stupid powered pumps for the furnace condenser? you using that because there was no floor drain where the mechanical is located? That was our situation so i ended up jackhammering out the slab to put in a floor drain, was a pain in the ass but peice of mind considering all our mechanical is going to be located within the suite.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
In RS I Trust

the house was built in 71 and thankfully zero asbestos was around since it has been reno'd a couple times over the years.

The tankless was about $3500.00 installed, the direct vent tank was going to be about $2500.00 so spending the extra $1000.00 for the tankless unit was the only way to go and it freed up space since it was in a shitty location where the suite is going to be and of course gives us that extra space for the bathroom which was needed for the extra vanity space. The main thing I like about the tankless is that theres zero tank and it comes with a 10 year warranty on it, its expected to last 15-20 years rather then 8 years for a normal HW tank so with that and the money savings that's really the only option to go with if you are planning to live at your place for a while.

No floor drain but the condenser pump is perfect for my situation, I'm thinking about digging it up down the road since the bathroom is up a foot but right now I mainly want to focus on the kitchen since it's such a large project for a 4 week window.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
In RS I Trust

Ended up going with this range and damn I'm excited to be able to cook with it.

PCGS950SEFSS - GE Appliances

and of course had to go with the matching fridge and dishwasher

PFE24JSKSS - GE Appliances

PDT660SSFSS - GE Appliances

One thing I didn't add since we have a suite downstairs we are going to be putting our laundry in the kitchen as well on the left side kinda next to the microwave in a custom pantry cabinet. I wasn't all that much of a fan doing it that way but we don't have too many options and it's going to be nice having the laundry so close.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
would love to see more before and after pictures!
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #6

Yea as long as you're not burying the condenser it doesn't really matter. I had to drywall over the route it took to the drain so wanted to get rid of it.

What's nice about on demand as well as it only fires up to whatever BTU it needs to recover the used water as opposed to firing up to 40,000 BTU every time like a traditional tank.

Your Reno sounds fairly similar to ours lol. Since our suite is going in our washer and dryer will be in the kitchen as well
Old 11-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
In RS I Trust

Here's a couple more before pictures since the ones I posted were shitty. The cupboards are going to be running on the left and around L shape by the back window and on the wall where the book shelf is.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #8

Yea old setup was pretty terrible lol
Old 11-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
^ In the first pic- is that a tile countertop??
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:34 PM   #10
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Yea old setup was pretty terrible lol
oh it was nasty before and so hard to cook with

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
^ In the first pic- is that a tile countertop??
you don't like my bathroom tile countertops? I was going to go back with that style but decided to go with Quartz instead
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2016, 07:15 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

i hope you have better luck with your GE dishwasher than i did.....mine was a month old and failed (circuit board and the over flow shut off) and it get filling for 12 hours while we were away.

flooded my basement

mine was also the top of the line unit at the time....looks like the one you got
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #12
In RS I Trust

wow that's not good at all, what did GE do about the warranty and damage or did you have to go through home insurance?

I read a number of reviews that were not the greatest about the dishwasher but nothing even close to that bad.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #13

In my experience building multi family units (town homes and low rise) dishwashers are always the biggest problem in terms of failures and replacements. It's not even close.

My boss had a $3200 DW and it failed in the first two years, no warsntee replacement.

Imo best thing to do is go deep into the consumer reports page on the model and read everything there is about it

Samsungs are seemingly the worst of the bunch
Old 11-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #14
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

lol at that sharp edge on the countertop...

I did the kitchen myself...everything ikea except for the appliance and countertop.
The cabinet ends up costing around $5000.
I rip out the builder original kitchen set(including sink & cheap granite countertop) and sold it on kijiji for $3000 tho

I finished around 90% of the kitchen so it is "functional" like 9 months ago...been too lazy to finish to remaining trims and backsplash since.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #15

FWIW, i got a bosch dishwasher (forgot model #) on sale for $499.
Only used it a few times, but I also used a bosch DW at my last place for 6 years and never had any leak before.

I always got the impression DW usually leak due to bad water line connection during the install or people moving it around.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #16

If you dont' need gas, think about getting an induction cooktop.
I didn't know what I want so I got a cooktop with both induction and gas

It was expensive($3.8K), but I think if I get another chance, I would go with a plain induction cooktop. I find myself using the induction side 95% of the times.
A plain induction cooktop is also going to be much easier to clean and about half the price.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #17
In RS I Trust

Nice looking kitchen Ferra, I paid 3x that for mine white shaker solid wood doors and plywood inside. All cabinets and drawers are soft closing of course and white quartz counter tops which should be showing up mid Dec so I have to get the entire kitchen prepped for that.

Had my electrician come in last night about the wiring and this weekend I'm going to rip off all the drywall on all the walls so it will be easier for him to rewire everything since the wiring is shitty and I want to add a whole lot a new outlets.

My dining room is right off the kitchen and this is the lightings I decided to go with since I've always been a fan of the Edison style and I will have two matching pendants same style in the kitchen as well.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:17 AM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
wow that's not good at all, what did GE do about the warranty and damage or did you have to go through home insurance?

I read a number of reviews that were not the greatest about the dishwasher but nothing even close to that bad.
home insurance....GE came out and "fixed it", then it started leaking from the door, but i wasn't home when that started happening during the 1st year so they won't do anything about it

in the summer we were using it and one of the hoses on the bottom ripped and GE again refused to do anything about it....mother fuckers
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #19
In RS I Trust

wow what complete BS, hopefully this model is much better but you think spending that kinda money on a Dishwasher the quality would be second to none.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,920 Times in 3,876 Posts
Modern appliances sketch me out, in my parents previous house the fridge leaked twice, the dishwasher leaked once, the washing machine shook itself apart, the first stove had the control panel die and the second had the door explode. They were all under 5 years old and from big brand names.

Now after my kitchen renos ~2 years ago I still don't full trust our new appliances lol.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #21
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,764 Posts
Appliances are built so shitty these days. I remember growing up my parents had the same old dishwasher, fridge & stove for 30 years and not had a single problem.
They upgraded about 5 years ago to "new & modern", and they've already had to replace the dishwasher once, and repair the stove within those 5 years.

Total Garbage.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #22

Everything is just built to break these days
Old 11-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
sold old kitchen stuff for 3000$, spend another 2gs on top for a better one. nice!
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:09 PM   #24
In RS I Trust

I think with appliance's they suck these days to all the tech that is in them, back in the day the fridges were basic but now everyone wants all of this lighting and options it's easier to break especially with Dishwashers.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #25
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
It's not just the lights.. companies learned if they build stuff too well they lose out on recurring revenue.

I'm in Hondaracer's camp. Most everything is designed to fail after 7-10 years or sooner these days. Gotta keep the economy going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote