REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-01-2016, 10:57 PM   #1
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Revscene Automotive Review: 2016 Mazda CX-9

Zoom zoom!

When anyone talks about Mazda, their slogan will always come up. Granted they really put their zoom-zoom focus in the Miata but the CX-9 is no slouch. This 7 seater comes with a lot of great tech, features and it's sure to check some great marks with its buyers.

Starting with the way it looks, the CX-9 is brand new for 2016 and it follows the company's KODO design language. Basically, it translates to Soul of Motion, with graceful yet energetic lines. The design is very obvious here, the hood is stretched forward on its flat nose with high centre line and a low roofline the CX-9 is not a regular two-box SUV. Angular headlights up front wrap the cooperate grill which on the signature edition like we have here is lit around the edge. A lower fascia with a sparkle of chrome makes the front end angry and very different than the previous generations. Out back the taillights have a Miata-esque look about them, wrapping the brake light around the turn signals transitioning to a chrome bar that stretches across the rear tailgate dividing the window and its big booty rounds out the entire package. As far as SUV goes this is as attractive as it gets and it really stands out in this crowded segment.

The design language flows to the inside of the CX-9 as well. The dash wraps around the occupants with its beautiful Napa leather, while using chrome and aluminum to contrast the darker plastics. Up in the middle sits Mazda's infotainment system a 8" touch screen unit that can also be controlled via a knob located by the shifter, most people would use the knob rather than the touch option as it is a bit further to reach. The screen is nice and is of a high resolution but the system is a bit dated as it can not pair with Apple's CarPlay or Androids Auto system. The knob is a 7-way controller surrounded by some quick buttons to navigate the menus a little faster. And just to keep everyone happy, just off to the right side sits a volume knob making volume adjustments a breeze. The rest of the interior is a blend of wood, aluminum, and leather. Sitting inside it makes you feel somewhat special and it compares nicely with high-end offerings from Acura and Infiniti. And to add to the high-end experience the interior is superbly quiet, a little hum is audible from the engine during acceleration but that's it. Mazda has put a lot of attention to make this generation a lot more upscale than previous.

Sitting beneath the long hood is Mazda's new Skyactive engine. A 2.5 Litre unit with a Dynamic Pressure Turbo brings 227hp (250 with premium) and 310lb-ft of torque to this little 4 cylinder. As we know horsepower is important but moving a 4300lb vehicle and be able to tow 3500lb, torque is just as important. And this little 4 cylinder delivers all that down low at around 2000rpm. Making this driving experience astonishing, power delivery and acceleration is surprising out of a vehicle this size. Dip into the throttle the Turbo spools up and you're gone, it'll beat the other parents in the Highlander and Pathfinder but watch out for the Dad that's rocking the Pilot, it's able to get to 100km/h a second faster.

Mazda prides themselves on driving involvement, the CX-9 is no exception. While no SUV buyers are cross shopping with sports cars, this CX-9 is nimble. With a nicely weighted steering and a dynamic chassis, it's a real joy to drive. Aided by the sports mode the engine can keep itself within the powerband and rocket out of corners. Just don't get too excited limits of physics still apply to this heavy, front biased car. Driving the CX-9 is pleasurable, it's no longer a chore to go pick up the kids or get groceries, it's flat-out fun.

Speaking of kids, we got a body double to simulate how much space there is in the 2nd and 3rd row. Mazda claims it's bigger than the highlander and that certainly is true. The 2nd roll is mounted on sliders which can aid 3rd-row access as well as legroom. Like all 3-row SUV, the last row is designed for kids or those whose just a bit shorter. If you were 6 feet tall for example, your head would be on the ceiling of the sloping roof line and your knees would be higher than you would like for a long trip. As for the 2nd row even with the driver's seat set for someone 6 feet tall the knee and leg room is sufficient thanks to the recessed seat back. Although it'll never be as comfortable as a minivan the CX-9 is comfortable enough.

As for the not so good there isn't much, spoiled by other manufacturers, we can see the CX-9 lacks some equipment like a panoramic sunroof and cooled seats. But it does have adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist and blind spot monitoring. These active safety features keep the occupants safe and sound by braking when needed and able to push the vehicle back into its lane. During the test, we did notice the heated steering wheel although it's effective it only heats up the 3 and 9 o'clock positions so during turns it might be a bit cold.

Overall the CX-9 is an amazing vehicle choice for those that seek 7 passenger utility while having great fun to drive characteristics. Best of all there's no engine options so even the base model will get you the remarkable engine and fluid torque. And you'll be able to keep driving on and on as Mazda's warranty is unlimited mileage and only based on duration. So enjoy that new vehicle take it on road trips, Mazda's got you covered.

Advertisement
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:07 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
wow i didn't realize this platform is 10 years old
it felt decent when I got to try it last year
i assume this is one of the few SUVs still built in Japan? Me thinks most Honda/Toyotas are now domestic (aside from something like a Land Cruiser which is more of a truck)
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:16 AM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 2,113 Times in 421 Posts
Last summer, my Dad and I decided that he should get the previous Gen 2015 model, simply because of the Ford Cyclone V6 power train. At the time there were rumors of the next gen circulating that it would be a 4 cyl turbo, and I remember the vast reliability problems the CX-7 turbo 4 powertrain had. I hope they worked out the kinks, this is probably based on the Mustang 4 cyl turbo no? Different family from the MZR Mazdaspeed motors they used in the CX-7 ? Haven't looked into it but it was not a risk I wanted to take. I wish they still offered the widely used V6 power plant... I dislike the idea of a tiny 4 cyl working hard all the time to move a quite heavy SUV.

For a 2015 model the interior is now dated compared to what was out at the time (Current Mazda 3, Mazda 5 all had that tablet screen) but it was good enough.

I must say this new gen is absolutely stunning. Inside, and out. Very underrated. CX-9s drive like the First Gen X5's if I could explain it... Very sharp handling and a completely different experience from a Honda Pilot or Highlander.

Any of you older folks on Revscene, please consider the CX-9. First and Second gen, Mazda's ideologies were to offer a different take on SUV's. You get so many features (literally take the "feature sheets" of both cars from the dealer and compare) and I believe you end up a couple thousand cheaper priced out compared to it's other Japanese competitors... and honestly it feels like a bit of a softer X5 in terms of handling.

2000 Honda Civic SiR Vogue Silver Metallic [EM1]
2001 Infiniti QX4 Tuscan Beige Metallic[R50]
Scoots
01' Honda Dio 50cc [AF27]

01' Honda Dio 72cc Big Bore [AF27]
89' Honda Elite R 49cc [SE50]
TopsyCrett is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #4
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

If I could, I would've thanked the post twice; one for the sweet chubby body double and one for the insightful review.
Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopsyCrett View Post
this is probably based on the Mustang 4 cyl turbo no? Different family from the MZR Mazdaspeed motors they used in the CX-7 ?
As of 2010, Mazda has been independent Ford. None of the Skyactiv motors are based off of anything from Ford, they're all designed in-house by Mazda.

In fact, MZR motors were the ones based off Ford's Duratecs, and the Mustang's 2.3L EcoBoost is actually based off of the 2.0L EcoBoost, which is loosely based off of Mazda's L motors

Also if you actually look in-depth into this 2.5L turbo, it's vastly different from many of the small(er) displacement 4cyl turbo motors currently on the market.

Take a read http://www.automobilemag.com/news/de...-turbo-engine/

tl;dr Variable nozzle turbocharging, 4-3-1 exhaust, cooled EGR, 10:5:1 compression ratio
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2016, 10:42 PM   #6
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Mazda is becoming the BMW of Japan........... driving dynamics and that center screen and multi media control knob shows

(not a bad thing, and Mazda's are decently reliable)

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #7
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
Mazda is becoming the BMW of Japan........... driving dynamics and that center screen and multi media control knob shows

(not a bad thing, and Mazda's are decently reliable)
Mazda's has made some great products recently.

Even the new cx-5 is amazing
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Im hoping the new rx comes out sick like this cx9! No idea on specs of the car just saw concept videos on how it would kind of look...
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Will be interesting to see how this sells.

Unfortunately the average crossover buyer could care less about all these technological advancements and sporty driving dynamics.

You'd be surprised at how many non-car enthusiasts care about CarPlay or Android Auto these days to the point where it becomes a deal breaker, not sure why Mazda hasn't begun offering it on their vehicles.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #10
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,398 Times in 5,090 Posts
We were super pissed at work with our CX-9 it's a 2013 model with the V6 and the computer failed... under warranty... 2 months wait to get the part!!! Seriously???? On a 3 year old vehicle?? Absolutely ridiculous.

Decided to buy a used one from a crashed vehicle instead out of pocket rather than lose the car for 2 months and the Mazda sent us a bill for the diagnostic since we didn't get it fixed there hahaha
68style is online now   Reply With Quote