REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 09-02-2002, 11:23 AM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Bikram's Yoga

So I finally went to drop in for a class yesterday afternoon. OMG it was pretty hard!! I am sooooooo sore today. It's a 90 minute class, done in a studio that's heated between 90-105 degrees. So even if you're just sitting there you sweat. You then go through 26 different yoga poses, twice each, and 2 breathing exercises at the beginning and end. It's a really intense class! The thing with Bikram's Yoga is that it doesn't have its main benefits if you don't take 10 classes a month. I don't know if I'll be able to continue this because

a) it's really demanding.
b) it's pretty pricey! ($10/class for students, $17 for everyone else)
c) I don't have the time to go to 10 classes a month.
Advertisement

www.vanfashionweek.com
www.adrenelyn.com
misst-tini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 12:46 PM   #2
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

A co-worker of mine went to one class and afterwards he says he felt very cleansed and was able to breathe alot clearer. I don't think he has yet to go back though.

My question is what benefits do you gain from going 10 times/month?

I'm still debating whether or not to go.
s-zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 11:46 PM   #3

you check out the website http://www.bikramyoga.com. it explains it all a bit better and more detailed.

it makes sense that the more you go the more beneficial it is. you can practice the positions and master them properly, and your body can adjust much easier to the entire ordeal. it's like working out ..... no point if you only go once in a blue moon. it's not very effective. i did feel very cleansed after the class. it was really intense tho. i felt so drained after.

www.vanfashionweek.com
www.adrenelyn.com

Last edited by misst-tini; 09-02-2002 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:37 PM   #4
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

That website has alot of information however I'm rather skeptical about how effective this practice is and whether or not it can actually do all that it claims. This in particular has me wondering:

Quote:
Unlike weight lifting or other forms of exercise, it is not necessary to take a "resting" day off from Bikram yoga. The more you practice, the more benefit you get. You should consider your yoga practice as internal hygiene--you have to clean out the insides to have good health.

Bikram tells many new students, "Come every day for the next 3 months and I will give you a new body, a new life!"
Seems more like a sales pitch to me.

That being said, it has caught my curiosity and I think I'll give it a try at least once. We'll see if it changes my life.
s-zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 10:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by s-zenki
That website has alot of information however I'm rather skeptical about how effective this practice is and whether or not it can actually do all that it claims. This in particular has me wondering:

Seems more like a sales pitch to me.

That being said, it has caught my curiosity and I think I'll give it a try at least once. We'll see if it changes my life.
exactly. it's still fairly new, and i'm sure it is beneficial .. but unsure as to what extent. it could just be the newest "trend" after pilates and regular yoga. but ... i gave it a shot because I wanted to experience it for myself. And it definitely IS an experience unlike any other! It's not your regular form of exercise.

www.vanfashionweek.com
www.adrenelyn.com
Old 09-09-2002, 01:34 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Is Bikram's Yoga a place, or a form of yoga?

I think my friend told me it was a place. She's into the yoga stuff, but the place she goes to is considerably cheaper than 10 bucks a lesson.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:34 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally posted by RevSceneGirl25
Is Bikram's Yoga a place, or a form of yoga?

I think my friend told me it was a place. She's into the yoga stuff, but the place she goes to is considerably cheaper than 10 bucks a lesson.
Bikram's is the name of the place, my friend was telling me about it at the gym yesterday. Evidently, the steam induces sweating cleanses the body as you are doing stretches in which helps the spiritual self. I think it is good, sweating always makes you loose weight, i think that going once in a while will help you out quite a bit, at least more than not going at all. 10 bucks is expensive that means 100 bucks a month for yoga? that is how much i pay for 6 months at my gym. I will prolly go sometime soon though.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:14 PM   #8
RS Veteran

tried it twice and i loved it both times...well maybe not so much loved the actual stretches cause some of them were painful, but i loved the heat, the humidity and the totally cleansed afterfeel.

they need more evening classes though, my time schedule is so constrained that i couldn't possibly go to 10 classes a month!!

:)Where there's life, there's hope. Everyday's a gift. Wishes can come true. Whistle while you work so hard all day|buffy|
When the answer to all my dreams is as close as a touch away. Why am I here holding back what I'm trying to say? Just smile for me and let the day begin, you are the sunshine that lights my heart within. When you're weary, feelin small. When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all...Like a bridge over troubled waters |[color=sky blue]sexy clay aiken[/color]|

Clubnerd#1 | OSR#8 | MFC fan#21:eek:|
Dream830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 02:34 PM   #9
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

this is the only excercise i've been doing since i tore my ligaments in my ankle four months ago, its tough.....definitely worth it ...cardio, stretching, toning, cleansing, focusing , you name it all in one....by far the hardest work out ever!!!!!
xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Re: Bikram's Yoga

Quote:
Originally posted by misst-tini

a) it's really demanding.
b) it's pretty pricey! ($10/class for students, $17 for everyone else)
c) I don't have the time to go to 10 classes a month.
hey it's not $10/class anymore is it? how much is it? most places seem to charge 120 for 10 classes.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #11
Retired moderator

Depending on the package though...I'm not sure if they've changed it but a monthly pass is worth it if you go often.

I tried it a few times and loved it. It takes a lot out of you, but you feel awesome. It was alil pricey and time consuming, especially if you need flexibilty, i stick the gyms. Of course it's a totally different experience.

90 mins of yoga in a 40*C room. jsut a note: drink LOTS of water throughout the day before you go. i've seen girls pass out from the heat.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:52 AM   #12
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
way to bump a 5 year old thread...
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #13
Retired moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ulic Qel-Droma
way to bump a 5 year old thread...

Actually Ulic if you hadn't noticed, the person that bumped the thread wanted peoples' opinions.
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #14
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

i was thinking getting a gift cert for my girl and i'd rather bump an old thread than to create a new, redundant one.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:42 PM   #15
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

I have tried Bikram's yoga, it was crazy. Plus lots of eye candy! haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Anyone do this here? I just started a few weeks ago and it is taking my fat loss over the edge, the definition in my abs is definately more noticible only after 6 classes so far
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #17
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
Anyone do this here? I just started a few weeks ago and it is taking my fat loss over the edge, the definition in my abs is definately more noticible only after 6 classes so far
i go once a week to bikram yoga vancouver at broadway/macdonald.
its haaaard.
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #18

Oh ok, I go to the West End location 2 days a week. If you ever get Laurie as a teacher, she's hot lol
Old 02-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #19
Drk
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
I have tried Bikram's yoga, it was crazy. Plus lots of eye candy! haha
I tried it a couple times too, but I didnt see a single hot girl. Maybe it was old people day when I went. If there were more hot chicks I would be more motivated to go again.
Drk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #20
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I go once a week. It gives you a different type of muscle strengthening and helps loosen out a lot of my muscles. After the first session, I made new personal records in my front squat, clean and jerk, and snatch. So, maybe the yoga helped, maybe it didn't, but I generally feel better after the session.

And no, I don't think you need to go 10 times a month to get the main benefits. You still get benefits if you go once a week.
kAzE- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #21
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I'm been going for the last 2 years about 3-4 times a week both the Burnaby location and West Broadway. There use to be hot chicks all the time which were in their bikinis or there half naked. Now it's mostly Viet mom's and lowbangs...
Old 02-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesespareribs View Post
I'm been going for the last 2 years about 3-4 times a week both the Burnaby location and West Broadway. There use to be hot chicks all the time which were in their bikinis or there half naked. Now it's mostly Viet mom's and lowbangs...
that's weird, maybe it's just Burnaby because West End's majority is white chicks (some hot, some not). The one time I went to the West Broadway location it was mostly older folk
Old 02-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Oh ok, I go to the West End location 2 days a week. If you ever get Laurie as a teacher, she's hot lol
I forgot my instructors name today, but she was hot. Asian, @ broadway/mcdonald. 915am session.

I'd go to the West End one for eye candy but its farther...and it's no use since I hate wearing my contacts if I'm gonna sweat like a pig, so my vision is a bit ..decreased.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #24

Since I have the instructor schedule for this week, her name is Jarline lol
Old 02-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Since I have the instructor schedule for this week, her name is Jarline lol
What? You can get a sched of who's teaching?
I just go, do the session, shower and leave.