REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #26
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrnycracer View Post
first...

Secondly... put yourself in the shoes of the average crack head who is running along a street keeping his eyes open for an easy score for his next hit... what is he going to do... smash something that MAY have something inside drawing attention to himself by gambling smashing a car that he can't see in? Or a car where he can see in and maybe spot something... Would you rather buy a lottery ticket where you know 4 out of the 6 numbers will hit or taking a chance for 0 out of the 6...

If tint is SO dangerous why do five provinces allow it? Why do 48 states allow tint in some shape or form and no less than 50 allow it for medical reasons?! Our neighbor to the south allows 35% tint. Why are high end luxury cars equipped with tinted glass?

My point stands... until the small crime that plagues our and surrounding areas tinted glass should not be a priority. When I have an RCMP officer in the same area spend an hour and a half with me explaining why tint is bad (even though he had tinted glass when he lived in ontario) when in that same jurisdiction I can't get an officer to take a report after my car gets broken into things are wrong. By that instance and observation, for them TINT is more of a problem than someone breaking into a car. Same can be said for my friend who was mugged on the same block of a supposed "nice neighborhood". And the notion that drug dealers drive around with tinted windows is insane. Why would someone engaging in illegal activities want to give the police a reason to stop them?!

And to address the idea that you reduce your vision of pedestrians etc at night by having tinted glass. When you are down to 5% tint, your vision is reduced but overall having tinted glass in most cases enhances vision. On a dark, rainy night the glare from other cars headlights is greatly reduced by having tinted glass. This is the same reason why other countries cars have tinted mirrors etc. because it actually enhances what your a able to see.

And yes... why aren't more people with HID kits getting busted... that is far more dangerous tinted windows could ever be...
Hmmm aren't you the ones who say "fighting to good fight" for the officers issuing tickets for no license when you say they should spend their time catching crackheads? What's the difference here? They are both small crimes compared to murders and such.

And don't even bother saying crackheads are more of a hazard blah blah blah. Someone without a DL could mean that they are not licensed at all and are putting everyone around them in danger. Way more so that a crackhead considering one has a vehicle that can plow throw a number of things (and people) before even coming close to a stop.
Advertisement

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Oh View Post
Agreed. I still haven't figured out why so many people with stuff to hide have so many illegal modifications on their cars.
Dey keepin' it real yo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"

Last edited by Soundy; 01-07-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 AM   #28
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Hmmm aren't you the ones who say "fighting to good fight" for the officers issuing tickets for no license when you say they should spend their time catching crackheads? What's the difference here? They are both small crimes compared to murders and such.

And don't even bother saying crackheads are more of a hazard blah blah blah. Someone without a DL could mean that they are not licensed at all and are putting everyone around them in danger. Way more so that a crackhead considering one has a vehicle that can plow throw a number of things (and people) before even coming close to a stop.
That was in reference to the officer giving a ticket for having a front plate + a europlate... no drivers license... I couldn't agree with you more...

Quote:
Agreed. I still haven't figured out why so many people with stuff to hide have so many illegal modifications on their cars.
Well they are the ones that get caught... the small fry's so to speak

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

It always makes me laugh how everyone who is committing a crime thinks that the cops should be going after the 'real criminals'. People smoking crack think the cops should just leave them alone and let them do their own thing too.

The fact is, how many crack heads do you come across every day vs how many cars do you come across ever day? A car is far, far more likely to ruin your day than a crack head, so the police SHOULD be using time to make sure they're being safely operated.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #30
retired

Ive seen plenty of cars that have 35% or darker in the front. It's ridiculous.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #31
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
If tint is SO dangerous why do five provinces allow it? Why do 48 states allow tint in some shape or form and no less than 50 allow it for medical reasons?! Our neighbor to the south allows 35% tint. Why are high end luxury cars equipped with tinted glass?
Possibly useful link for you!

http://www.historysociety.ca/content...fs/Lalonde.pdf

(translation - you're barking up the wrong tree here - try your legislative representative).

Quote:
And to address the idea that you reduce your vision of pedestrians etc at night by having tinted glass. When you are down to 5% tint, your vision is reduced but overall having tinted glass in most cases enhances vision. On a dark, rainy night the glare from other cars headlights is greatly reduced by having tinted glass. This is the same reason why other countries cars have tinted mirrors etc. because it actually enhances what your a able to see.
You are wrong about the vision "enhancement".

If one is running front side tint with an untinted windshield, your irises will contract to account for the relatively high amounts of light coming through the front windshield. When you look to the side, you can't see shit because your eyes are used to looking at bright light. The analogue is going from a brightly lit room to a dark room - you can't see til your eyes adjust (irises dilate).

Running untinted windshield and untinted front sides, there is no adjustment period as the amount of light admitted through the front and side glass is roughly equivalent.

Mirrors are a different case because the light is reflected directly at you and the source of light is nearer to you, and for a sustained amount of time.

Or are you talking about tinting the front windshield? That's triply stupid and illegal in just about any jurisdiction.

Last edited by Blinky; 01-08-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: clarity
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #32
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
" das how i ride, fuck da police " lol

[youtube]suwO6uWokkk[/youtube]
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #33
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMx View Post
You do realize that even very dark tint only limits your vision by 10% or so? You're referring to it as if somebody took black paint and just painted all the windows. I had tint on for almost 6 years of my driving, not anymore, and I have NEVER come into a situation where I had trouble spotting something, reading something or noticing something.
you've actually got the opposite... really dark tint (limo tint) rated at 10% or 5%, it actually ONLY let's in 10% or 5% (respectively) of the light. it actually blocks out 90% or 95% of the light.

i have 20% on my rear side windows (which are pretty small), and i can tell you that i sometimes have trouble seeing through them at night when i shoulder check... and i would NEVER even think of putting it on my side mirrors....
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #34
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
^^^

MegaMX is talking about the affect on visibility from tint, and not the tint %.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #35
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Amount of light enter into your eyes = how visible the objects are.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #36
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
i disagree... but thats just me...

I will say that until the smash and grab crime is reduced in this city (my non-tinted car was broken into on NYD) I will keep my windows tinted... can't see inside so it reduces temptation and a film on the back of the windows makes it harder to break the glass...

Until the auto crime is significantly reduced and other crime is reduced... tint should be a non issue... JUST MY TWO CENTS... I know it's the law blah blah... but its also illegal to smash my windows in and NOTHING is being done to keep these criminals off the streets... (not the P.O.'s fault, the judicial system is 100% to blame)
how about don't leave shit lying around in your car? if crooks can see in and that there's nothing in your car, they won't bother breaking in most of the time.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:06 AM   #37
RS controls my life!

How about 70% or 50% tint on the front? I know that legally speaking, it's illegal still but will cops pull you over for that light tint?
GomGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:15 AM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GomGom View Post
How about 70% or 50% tint on the front? I know that legally speaking, it's illegal still but will cops pull you over for that light tint?
70% would be a waste of money.

50% is light enough as it is.

its basically just probability, if you have say 50%, less noticeable so assumes a smaller chance of being caught.

darker tint (eg 35%) is more noticeable so you might get caught easier.

HOWEVER, if it's illegal, why not just do it anyways since you'll get the same ticket for 50% tint or 35% tint. up to preference.

but like someone mentioned earlier, non tinted cars are more clean and becoming more popular
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #39
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
If I see it and am not busy with something else, I'll pull you over.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #40
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illicitstylz View Post
70% would be a waste of money.

50% is light enough as it is.

its basically just probability, if you have say 50%, less noticeable so assumes a smaller chance of being caught.

darker tint (eg 35%) is more noticeable so you might get caught easier.

HOWEVER, if it's illegal, why not just do it anyways since you'll get the same ticket for 50% tint or 35% tint. up to preference.

but like someone mentioned earlier, non tinted cars are more clean and becoming more popular
I do not want to put 35% so cops still can see inside my car. I'm planning to put 35% on the rear windows and 50% on the front but still scared enough that cops will pull me over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
If I see it and am not busy with something else, I'll pull you over.
Are you seriously a cop?

As long as people can see inside my car with light tint, why would cops bother pulling people? It's not like a limo tint anyway...
GomGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #41
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
As long as people can see inside my car with light tint, why would cops bother pulling people? It's not like a limo tint anyway...
Because it's still illegal.

Think ahead for a minute at what it could potentially cost you:

Cost to install tint: $xxx
Cost of a ticket for illegal tint ($138, I think?)
Cost of a VI (around $100)

To pass the VI, you must remove the tint, meaning your initial install cost is wasted money... and you're now needing to spend another $250 or so on top of that, to end up right back where you started.

You might go years without ever being hassled about it... or as we've seen here, you could get nailed the next day.

And if you have any other illegal mods on your car (exhaust, lights, lowering, etc., that don't conform to the regulations), you'll have to fix/undo those before you'll pass the inspection. If the inspection finds anything else wrong, that'll have to be fixed too... and the the inspection done again (there's another $100+).

Is it really worth it, for the slight chance that you WON'T get busted, considering what it could end up costing if you DO?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #42
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
"As long as people can see inside my car with light tint, why would cops bother pulling people? It's not like a limo tint anyway"

There is also the problem with it being illegal...and the problem that it defeats the Federally and Provincially-required ability to shatter when hit.

Seems to me these days this question and a search to escape the consequences, is almost as common as LMD gang executions. ( I know that was a cheap shot...and this is a bad pun)
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #43

Quote:
I do not want to put 35% so cops still can see inside my car. I'm planning to put 35% on the rear windows and 50% on the front but still scared enough that cops will pull me over.
If you're that afraid of being pulled over for it, why spend money to put it on in the first place, and then pay more money each time you get a ticket for it? Or go through the hassle of removing it after getting a Notice and Order to remove it?

Quote:
Are you seriously a cop?

Yes, I am. And we'd pull you over because having front tint is illegal and impairs your field of vision, especially at night. It also shouldn't be applied as a film, either, as it is safety glass designed to break in a certain way upon impact. By applying a film over the glass, you're changing those safety characteristics of the glass.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Oh View Post
cos' dat's how they roll!

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #45

Quote:
I doubt that based on everything I've learned in crim. People break in because they see something, not because they wonder if there is something on the other side otherwise people would be breaking into everything because they're curious if there's something there. On another note, thieves are smart enough to AVOID tinted cars for either of the few reasons:
1) he may have to buy crack from the probable drug dealer of the car (not saying all with tint are drug dealers but the ones with the pitch black tint probably are)
2) windows with tint don't shatter and fall apart like windows without tint. They would have to smash it and then start pulling at the glass that's being held up by tint. kind of like the following window but on a smaller scale http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzRcX_VC3rs
If anything, tint makes breaking into the car way easier: Use the impact tool to break the window, 1 single push and the whole window falls inside.

Security films are applied on BOTH sides of the window and they aren't as flimsy as window tint.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:53 AM   #46

35% will get u pulled over fo sho.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #47
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
you've actually got the opposite... really dark tint (limo tint) rated at 10% or 5%, it actually ONLY let's in 10% or 5% (respectively) of the light. it actually blocks out 90% or 95% of the light.

i have 20% on my rear side windows (which are pretty small), and i can tell you that i sometimes have trouble seeing through them at night when i shoulder check... and i would NEVER even think of putting it on my side mirrors....
light and vision are different things. look at the video in this post http://www.revscene.net/forums/showp...3&postcount=32 he's got 5% tint in the side windows and yet you can see VERY clearly through it. if you can't, go get your vision checked. i was talking about limiting vision not the technical specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
Amount of light enter into your eyes = how visible the objects are.
Do you really want to be that guy who is claiming that you can see 95% better by removing the 5% tint? (I gotta warn you, "that guy" comes with a clown outfit, a few missing teeth, a southern accent and a grade 5 education)
MegaMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #48
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
light and vision are different things. look at the video in this post http://www.revscene.net/forums/showp...3&postcount=32 he's got 5% tint in the side windows and yet you can see VERY clearly through it. if you can't, go get your vision checked. i was talking about limiting vision not the technical specs.
Do you not believe that it is important for other drivers, cyclists and pedestrians to see the driver?

If you come flying up to a stop sign at an intersection where I have the right of way only a couple of car lengths away, I'm either going to hit the brakes possibly triggering a rear-ender or swerve to avoid you. If I can see what you are looking at, I can better prepare for the situation. Making yourself invisible to other road users is asking for trouble.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #49
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Is security film legal to install on your windows?

Like your sides and rear? I know it would be illegal for front but what about everything else?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #50
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Is security film legal to install on your windows?

Like your sides and rear? I know it would be illegal for front but what about everything else?
Isn't that kind of like locking the driver's door and leaving the others unlocked?
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote