REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-18-2004, 07:19 AM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally posted by Ferra
Don't think they can actually charge you just becoz of some complaint without any investgation at all...
but if that's the case, write a dozen letters to cityhall and complain the same thing, saying they make excessive noise...!

A more constructive thing to do is just to talk to the ppl at city hall, say you did not do that, and just say your neighbor complain becoz they didn't like you...
i just dont bother because it wastes a lot of time......=D
i jus like to let my alarm go off and leave it on now and turn my system up right when i start my car and let it warm up a bit then drive off
only when they are home tho.....and hopefully their baby is sleeping
=D
i can always hear their f*ckin baby crying n stuff.....can i complain about that? like cmon....im taking a shiet and then i start hearing a baby cry...and in my room sometimes when i take a nap i hear a damn baby crying again....=O hahahaha
Advertisement
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 08:00 AM   #27
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I'm starting to wonder WHO is the bad neighbor here....
Alphawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:10 PM   #28
retired

Last edited by Truenosan; 07-19-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 02:24 PM   #29
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Don't want to be the b---ch here, but I have neighbours who play their subs way too loud, so I can kind of sympathize with them. So loud that things in my room start to rattle. I work night shifts as well, so this is the last thing that I want to hear when I'm trying to get some sleep. But I don't know you and I don't live next to you, so I can't say if yours is that loud at all. This has been going on for about 2 years (since they moved in) and I haven't complained to them yet, trying to respect their own rights. But one of these days...grrrr. Why couldn't your neighbours have just told you nicely that your music is too loud? I hate people who make a huge scene, expecting you to give in to them. Just wanted to add my two cents.

Last edited by AtomicKityn; 01-20-2004 at 02:28 PM.
AtomicKityn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:19 PM   #30
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Im with Druggie on this one. I have a neighbour that moved in maybe a year ago, we have been living here for over 10 years and got along great with everyone here. This bitch comes out and complains about EVERYTHING!! I wash my car, she complains. I listen to my music at an average level, she complains. I have friends come over with their cars SHE FUCKING COMPLAINS. While her damn dog barks all night, she yells at her kids, Her husband starts up his 30year old sports car with one of those cherry bombs at 4:30 in the morning. I never say anything.

In the summer, my parents got some people to come in and clean our carpets, Id have to admit those things are pretty loud, but what can you do? So she comes over and tells us its disturbing her reading. I go fuckin ballistic on her.. get off my property.. if you dont like it MOVE! so on and so on.. to the point it made her cry. Never heard or spoke to her since. She doesnt even look at me now. hahahha but occassionally just to piss her off i wave to her and say good morning. hahaha

Last edited by CORDV6; 01-20-2004 at 08:23 PM.
CORDV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally posted by CORDV6
Im with Druggie on this one. I have a neighbour that moved in maybe a year ago, we have been living here for over 10 years and got along great with everyone here. This bitch comes out and complains about EVERYTHING!! I wash my car, she complains. I listen to my music at an average level, she complains. I have friends come over with their cars SHE FUCKING COMPLAINS. While her damn dog barks all night, she yells at her kids, Her husband starts up his 30year old sports car with one of those cherry bombs at 4:30 in the morning. I never say anything.

In the summer, my parents got some people to come in and clean our carpets, Id have to admit those things are pretty loud, but what can you do? So she comes over and tells us its disturbing her reading. I go fuckin ballistic on her.. get off my property.. if you dont like it MOVE! so on and so on.. to the point it made her cry. Never heard or spoke to her since. She doesnt even look at me now. hahahha but occassionally just to piss her off i wave to her and say good morning. hahaha

hahaha nice....
well like man...there was a house being built like 2 doors over from them and 3 from me....its loud as hell....but they dont complain to the building companies and im VERY SURE its at least 3 times louder then my music....cmon....all they hear in their house is MAYBE a lil humming sound but building a house for a few months and breaking it down n everything at 6am in the morning..and they say im loud....damn
Old 05-20-2008, 04:58 AM   #32

back from the dead,
ok 4 years later and my neighbores are now complaining about my car being too loud. This is the same car i'v been driving for the past 5 years and they said I have to change my exhaust because its too loud. wtf is that? they were coming out everytime i came home and said they are telling me nicely to change my exhaust because its too loud. I just told them to fuck off because it's not like im sitting outside my house revving it or anything. I just drive home and park the car and they run outside and start saying shit. wtf? stupid ass neighbores....they said they are gonna call the cops and i told them to doit...they havn't done anything since. maybe ill get another letter or get a fine or something.
anybody know how much these fines are?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #33
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Excessive noise fines are something like $100, we got one at a party once. If you get one, I'd invite the cop to check out how loud you play it, and how little it can be heard outside.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #34
How I Mod your mother

Wait, so these neighbors of yours complain about being able to hear your music, yet they cause just as much of a rukus with just their voices and/or friends?
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #35
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
call the cops on them saying u thinkg they are drugs dealers and u saw them havign guns int heir house. Do it every few months from different pay phones to avoid being track. Sooner or later they will move out.

Jokes aside. I dont' see how they can complainw hen it is around daytime. I sometimes heard my neighbours playing thier music int eh day time and I dont mind. I mean if it is like after mind night then yea but come on daytime who cars.

If your neighbour complain again tell them them go away and u have been doing this for yrs and no one ever complain expect them so it iis thier own fault.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #36
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
The criminal code offence of mischief applies at any time of the day or night. If you prevent someone from enjoying their private property by making too much noise for whatever reason, you could be in trouble here.
This should also read "If you prevent someone from enjoying their private property by scrutinizing every aspect of their lives that makes noise, you could be in trouble here".

People buy single family homes in many cases to enjoy the freedoms that they afford. I live in a condo and I can't have pets or a BBQ. If I moved into a house so I could enjoy those "luxuries", I would not find it reasonable if my neighbor complained if my dog was barking occasionally while playing in the backyard or if people were gathering around enjoying a BBQ in the evening.

Where does it stop? What are the definitions of "reasonable" and "unreasonable" noise?

Surely in the OP's case a gas powered lawnmower would be "excessive". Perhaps if he likes working on his car he has an impact gun - that would be "excessive" according to his neighbor too. If he was a carpenter and had a workshop in his garage with power tools, I guess that would be excessive?

Compared to most apartment buildings, a single family home on a residential street is a MUCH quieter place to live, even when your neighbor is making some noise. I live in a decent building, it's not a run-down shack, but I can hear my upstairs neighbor's bed creak and him taking a piss in the toilet.

I also have a home theater system and even tho I have asked my neighbors if they can hear it and they have said no, I am sure they can. Tolerance is a part of living in the vicinity of other people.
boxeraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #37
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
It's your responsibility to keep the noise down, not your neighbors' responsibility to insulate their houses more to keep themselves from the noise you produce.
I partly disagree with this.

If his neighbor's house is 100 years old as he states, then it might not feature the same level of sound insulation as newer homes.

While I do think that the OP should take precautions with his home theater (if it is in a dedicated room, then install extra insulation, for example), as I said before when you live in the vicinity of other people there is a certain amount of "give and take" that must exist for everyone to be comfortable.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #38
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Not all people sleep from 11 pm to 7 am. When I worked night shift I had to sleep during the day and would not have appreciated a blaring stereo at noon.
Understandable, but would you go as far as to complain about your neighbor mowing their lawn?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:34 PM   #39

hey guys, the problem is not with the music anymore but its a problem with my car coming home and parking. thread is a few years old.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:38 AM   #40
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

This reminds me of my neighbor that has a F430, sometimes he wakes my ass up at 8AM. Sure, the first few times I looked out the window and I was like COOOL!, FERRARI! but it kinda gets irritating after a while. Anyways, I understand where he is coming from cuz I too am a fellow enthusiast so I guess it's one of those things i'm going to have to live with or change my exhaust to wake his ass up too

OP should tell us where he lives so we call all drive by with our music blaring and rev the shit outta our cars in front of his neighbors house
b-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:10 AM   #41

^ lol yeah all my friends know about my neighbores too so they honk the horn a few times everytime they get here even tho im already downstairs walkin to his car and honks a few more times when we're leaving. Started doing too because my cousin out front pressed the horn and the neighbore ran outside of his house to tell him not to honk his horn when he arrives. My cousin just rolled his window back up and ignored him.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:33 AM   #42
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Holy ancient thread bump, Batman!

Just a thought on this:

Quote:
The criminal code offence of mischief applies at any time of the day or night. If you prevent someone from enjoying their private property by making too much noise for whatever reason, you could be in trouble here.
From the sound of it, the bitchy neighbors were (and still are) the ones making too much noise, by yapping and whinging and just generally bitching about anything and everything everyone else on the block does. THEY seem to be preventing ALL of their neighbors from enjoying THEIR own private property as well.

Maybe the OP should go to the other neighbors and get them all to write/sign a letter stating that the OP isn't and never has been annoyingly loud, and that these other neighbors simply complain about everything. Next time they go to the city, and the city comes knocking on your door, show them the letter.

Quote:
Not all people sleep from 11 pm to 7 am. When I worked night shift I had to sleep during the day and would not have appreciated a blaring stereo at noon.
I've been in that situation. I have plenty of friends who've been in that situation. You can ask the noisemakers to keep it down, and if they're nice they might, but you can't expect everyone else in the world to stop their lives because of your CHOICE to run your life on a different schedule. And yes, there always is a CHOICE - in this case to get a different shift or a different job. The alternatives may not be pleasant or desirable, but there is ALWAYS a choice. To coin a phrase from a favorite TV show: "There is always choice. We say there is no choice only to comfort ourselves with the decision we have already made. If you understand that, there's hope. If not .."

Quote:
Bylaws may have times of effect in them, or they may not. You would have to read the noise bylaw that governs the area you are in.
If the OP is not actually making that much noise, and nobody else has a problem with it, maybe he should actually look up the bylaw, make sure he's within in, and then when the neighbors complain, tell them yeah, go ahead, call the cops... when the cops come, they'll see that the neighbors are being unreasonable, and eventually they'll just stop coming when those people call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"

Last edited by Soundy; 05-21-2008 at 06:35 AM.
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:51 AM   #43
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I often thought that the ultimate "karma" situation (I love..."Earl") would be for the guys who hold all night loud parties...to have a new neighbour move in next door...and he ran a chainsaw repair shop in his back yard. Can you imagine the payback to a severely hung-over partier as at 7.01 am the guy next store began a 17,000 rpm tune up on some Macs and a bad bad boy Husky?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #44

Quote:

If the OP is not actually making that much noise, and nobody else has a problem with it, maybe he should actually look up the bylaw, make sure he's within in, and then when the neighbors complain, tell them yeah, go ahead, call the cops... when the cops come, they'll see that the neighbors are being unreasonable, and eventually they'll just stop coming when those people call.
i did tell them to call the cops and they havn't said anything since. but the thing is that i might get a letter from the city thats all. and if i do...i should just let my car idle for 5mins before i turn it off just to let them know that the more they complain, the louder its gonna get. I could understand if i was revving my engine or something at 3am in the morning but the fact that i just come home and parking my car is something they cannot deal with, that pisses me off.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:44 AM   #45
I bringith the lowerballerith

Fuck, what a pile of shit. You should bounce off rev limiter before you shut it off .
bensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensta View Post
Fuck, what a pile of shit. You should bounce off rev limiter before you shut it off .
it won't hit the rev limiter in neutral, but it will be bouncing off the launch control. lol
Old 05-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #47
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druggie View Post
i should just let my car idle for 5mins before i turn it off
Technically, the new by-laws says you can only do it for 3mins or else you CAN get a ticket. Just do it for 2:59 secs and you should be fine, just to let you know as your neighbors might actually call the cops to ticket you for the idling violations LAWLS.

I know this is for Vancouver for sure, not sure about the other cities, maybe someone else can confirm.
b-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #48
14 dolla balla & Bradford Chow aint got nothing on me!

how about...you get a whole bunch of friends with masks to use airhorns around the guys house, then keep an eye on whether or not they call the cops, when they do scatter=0
XtC-604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #49
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Just think of all the fun you get to have when you move. When I went back to my old house to grab a few cords and stuff still there, I revved like mad past my asshole neighbors house, because he alwasy complained about our "driving too fast" ie loudly but not cars that actually drove fast but were quiet. He came and stood at the end of our driveway so I just ignored him when he left. Then when I went to leave I bounced off the limiter a few times outside his house and did a nice smoky burnout. He came running out the door yelling away as I went around the corner.

The house is now lived in by members of the local football team. I wonder how that's going
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #50
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
^I lived in a basement suite once, and a couple guys from a rugby team moved in upstairs... most of the time they were quiet, but when they decided to party... it was LOUD, and it was ALL NIGHT.

Fortunately we had the breaker panel for the whole house in our suite... a couple minutes in darkness usually calmed them down pretty quickly. We also had the central furnace... a little piece of wire jumpered across the thermostat wires could make it uncomfortably warm for them within 15-20 minutes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote