REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 09-02-2022, 10:05 PM   #4076
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 22,437 Times in 7,484 Posts
I just saw your lot of low value watches.. how do you end up with a collection like that? Just scouring ebay for non workers? The one that catches my eye is that Westclox.. Looks like it was made in Canada?

Edit: Found a pic of James Dean wearing the square version of that watch in the movie Rebel Without A Cause

Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2022, 05:35 AM   #4077
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,290 Times in 448 Posts
Westclox watches (& pocket watches) were made in Canada, USA and the UK if i recall. They can be had for under $50 on Ebay

Ebay is a good source these days for watch lot auctions that can be had for a decent price. FB marketplace is another good source for misc watch lots

The watches in that pic were from an elderly collector that had asked me to help fix and sell off his watch junk hoard a few months ago. I met the guy yrs ago while hunting for watches locally at garage sales, swap meets, live auctions, thrift stores, etc. He had bought them for $.50-$20/each for the past 20+yrs.

Since you've mentioned black faced ww2 military watches, I've been looking up WW2 "Dirty Dozen" watches again that I've never been able to come across locally. https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/di...litary-watches
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2022, 06:55 AM   #4078
Performance Moderator

Thanked 11,898 Times in 3,767 Posts
I don’t mean this in as creepy a way as it’s going to sound, but I’d love to just sit there and watch you work on a watch lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2022, 07:03 AM   #4079
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,243 Posts
so my seagull 1963 china watch broke and i tried to fix it.... i hamfisted everything and its in a million pieces now. if one of you gents wanna have a go at her, please let me know. you can keep it afterwards, it aint doing jack shit all for me right now
wayyy too complicated for my limited patience. I think i might have fucked up the mainspring too... i really dont know if it can be salvaged
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:37 PM   #4080
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,224 Times in 1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
yup it was a radium lume dial. Had so many radium lumed dialed watches on my dinning room table at one point that I was actually getting concerned haha
If you do work extensively with those you should consider protecting yourself/your family.

Health Canada offers this (paid) service, and there's a handful of private ones too: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...dosimetry.html

Should also consider getting a used Survey Meter. New ones are at least a grand but used ones can be had for a few hundred, and you can just get them calibrated for another $100 or so.

PM me if you want more details, or to borrow a survey meter if you're concerned.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2022, 11:14 AM   #4081
rb
Network Admin Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
so my seagull 1963 china watch broke and i tried to fix it.... i hamfisted everything and its in a million pieces now. if one of you gents wanna have a go at her, please let me know. you can keep it afterwards, it aint doing jack shit all for me right now
wayyy too complicated for my limited patience. I think i might have fucked up the mainspring too... i really dont know if it can be salvaged
Buy a new ST19 movement for $120 and drop it in. I assume you've already detached the watch hands and dial? Just swap it over to a new movement and you're good to go.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...ement&_sacat=0

I don't work on mechanical chrono's because of how easy it is to mess up but could be a simple project for yourself or someone else if its just a movement swap.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2022, 03:37 PM   #4082

thats a great idea! yes yes ill try that. i was gonna throw the whole dang thing in the trash
Old 09-15-2022, 04:01 PM   #4083
rb
Network Admin Team

Recently picked up this vintage Braun watch with a quartz GMT movement. Just needed a battery and new crystal. A bit of an odd watch but neat nonetheless with quite the following for these vintage ones. https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/de...braun-classics

This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2022, 04:06 PM   #4084

That’s so quirky. I’ve never knew they made watches. Big thumbs up
This post thanked by: