REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 PM   #2426
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
are you running ios or andriod?

I got a few apps installed which I find quite useful
Advertisement
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #2427
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
are you running ios or andriod?

I got a few apps installed which I find quite useful
Android, and I still haven't actually started using it.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #2428
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Hey could you guys give me some suggestions for my first watch? I am looking to spend around 12k. I really like the AP ROO but not sure if I can find in my price range. If you guys could give me some suggestions on other nice watches i would appreciate it. Also what are some good forums to look at used watches? i currently look at watchuseek and rolex forum. Thanks

Last edited by yhmama; 01-07-2014 at 09:01 AM.
yhmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #2429
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

$12k for first watch, and don't know anything about watches?

I've got a vintage collectors edition 15yr old Timex sitting in my collection that I can sell to u got $11.5k
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #2430
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhmama View Post
Hey could you guys give me some suggestions for my first watch? I am looking to spend around 12k. I really like the AP ROO but not sure if I can find in my price range. If you guys could give me some suggestions on other nice watches i would appreciate it. Also what are some good forums to look at used watches? i currently look at watchuseek and rolex forum. Thanks
Watchuseek is good. What kind of watch are you looking for? Dress, casual, sport, vintage, maybe something more unique? There are many great watches available at this price. If this is your first watch then you probably want something versatile that can be worn every day.

For around 10k, I personally would be looking at Panerai luminor, jaeger lecoutre reverso, maybe one of the new the omega coaxial, or a Rolex submariner is classic that can be worn with anything.

At your price, you have many options, be sure to look at everything and get the watch that makes your heart beat a little faster every time you look at it. People can recommend all kinds of pieces, but everyone has different taste so buy something you will love

By the way, the royal oak offshore you suggested is an awesome watch, instant classic and something you can keep forever. Great starting point!
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #2431
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

10k you have lots option. You need to decide what type of watches you want like redline said. What type what size what kinda movement.

Or go simple and get a gold Rolex sub and add custom diamonds on the bezel for extra bling.
Posted via RS Mobile
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #2432
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,735 Times in 955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhmama View Post
Are you still looking for a car for $2,500 bucks?

"http://www.revscene.net/forums/682222-car-around-2500%24.html"
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #2433
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Im posting for my friend that doesn't have an account. He is looking for more sporty watch. I told him about those brands and he said he will look into them. Thanks for the help redline. ktt he's looking for something around 44mm. Not sure what movement means.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #2434
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Trollface I'm looking for a car still. Don't know why that matters tho
Old 01-07-2014, 11:29 PM   #2435
My homepage has been set to RS

watch newb here, how much does a decent Longines or Tissot watch go for ? Would it be cheaper to buy it locally or over in Asia (hong kong) ?

Is Tag heur watches more high end or same as Longines or Tissot ?
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #2436

You will find different opinions on tag depending who you talk to, some watch guys absolutely hate them ever since TAG took over heuer to become TAG Heuer. Most of the negative criticism comes from the fact that they use slightly modified ETA movements which can be found in many other watches around the world, so they aren't "special".

I for one love TAG, true their movements are mostly off the shelf ETA, but ETA makes great reliable Swiss movements..Brietling, for example also uses ETA. For me, the fit and finish of a tag is much higher than that of a Tissot, not even comparable really. I like to think of TAG as entry level luxury, maybe a notch under Omega, but higher than anything else that's under a couple grand.

Tissot is a great brand for what they offer. Actually some of their watches uses ETA movements as well. The watches don't have the same quality feel and look as what you get when you start moving up the price ladder, but for a sub $1k watch, they are pretty darn good.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #2437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
You will find different opinions on tag depending who you talk to, some watch guys absolutely hate them ever since TAG took over heuer to become TAG Heuer. Most of the negative criticism comes from the fact that they use slightly modified ETA movements which can be found in many other watches around the world, so they aren't "special".

I for one love TAG, true their movements are mostly off the shelf ETA, but ETA makes great reliable Swiss movements..Brietling, for example also uses ETA. For me, the fit and finish of a tag is much higher than that of a Tissot, not even comparable really. I like to think of TAG as entry level luxury, maybe a notch under Omega, but higher than anything else that's under a couple grand.

Tissot is a great brand for what they offer. Actually some of their watches uses ETA movements as well. The watches don't have the same quality feel and look as what you get when you start moving up the price ladder, but for a sub $1k watch, they are pretty darn good.
thanks so much for the informative post !

So how much does a pair of decent Brietling or Longines go for ?

What other famous watch brands are there out there?

I was in hong kong in 2013 and there were so many watch stores so it was hard to choose which brand I should buy

any reviews on IWC watches ? or tudor watches ?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #2438

Quote:

what does ETA stand for? and does the amount of mm affect how good the watch is ? ( ex: 44mm etc)
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #2439
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
does the amount of mm affect how good the watch is ? ( ex: 44mm etc)
Are you for real? That's how big it is...
Old 01-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #2440

Quote:
thanks so much for the informative post !

So how much does a pair of decent Brietling or Longines go for ?

What other famous watch brands are there out there?

I was in hong kong in 2013 and there were so many watch stores so it was hard to choose which brand I should buy

any reviews on IWC watches ? or tudor watches ?

Longines are usually between 1k-2k, I don't really know much about them though. Brietling can start around $3k for sourced movements, and $10k+ for their in house movements. I'm not a huge fan of Brietling, a little too flashy look-at-me kind of watch(unless you're a pilot), but then again, that's just my personal taste.

Tudor is a brand under Rolex that is meant to be more price accessible. Often referred to as "the poor man's rolex". Kind of like the VW equivalent of Audi, except that Tudor are directly based off Rolex models(unlike VW/audi or honda/acura which is the other way around). Quality is pretty good, but they are still expensive..I would personally rather buy an authentic pre-owned Rolex for the same price.

IWC are awesome, I love them. Again, most of their watches are using ETA movements. The IWC Portuguese is one of those timeless pieces that will always be cool and probably one of the "must-have" chronographs for a lot of collectors.

Quote:
what does ETA stand for? and does the amount of mm affect how good the watch is ? ( ex: 44mm etc)
I'm not sure what ETA actually stands for, but it is the name of a swiss company that makes movements, though they are now owned by Swatch(who pretty much has a monopoly over most of the watch world).

The mm is just the diameter of the dial (face). There is no relation between size and quality, just personal preference. Get whichever size you like and looks good on your wrist. I have pieces from 32mm up to 44mm, but I have small wrists so a big watch would look funny on me.

hope that helps!

-J
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #2441
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

No love for Omega watches in here?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #2442

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post
No love for Omega watches in here?
Sure there is

This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #2443
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,228 Times in 171 Posts
Quote:

I'm not sure what ETA actually stands for, but it is the name of a swiss company that makes movements, though they are now owned by Swatch(who pretty much has a monopoly over most of the watch world).
ETA actually isn't an acronym, it's their name. Originally formed as a subsidiary of Eterna. Eterna makes some interesting watches as well such as the Kontiki.

Right now the use of ETA movements is widespread. You can find ETA movements or ETA modified movements in most watches. I have heard that soon ETA will not be releasing movements to many other watchmakers/companies, which may put pressures on the industry to develop more in-house. That would be interesting to see.

edit: apparently this process started in 2010, and there are fears among companies outside of the Swatch umbrella that ETA movement supply could dry up for them entirely. So far that hasn't happened though.

As for the above watch, I sure have love for the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra. It's on my list for sure.

Last edited by Powerslide; 01-08-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Powerslide is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #2444

Ya, swatch actually wanted to stop providing movements to other watch makers, but the Swiss government didn't let them because it would create an unfair monopoly. They are permitted to slow down their distribution by a little bit every year, I think I read that by 2017 or 2019..something like that , they will stop supplying movements. It will be interesting to see how this affects the watch world.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #2445
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
maybe I wasn't looking at the right places but everywhere I looked in HK had pretty shitty prices for watches easily x1.5 the price of what I can get one online from the US or other parts of the world.
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #2446
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
For 12k and has to be 44mm? Take a look at Panerai. Not as well known or as flashy as some of the other big names but you'll definitely get the attention from watch aficionados whether you want it or not.
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #2447
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS_Racing View Post
maybe I wasn't looking at the right places but everywhere I looked in HK had pretty shitty prices for watches easily x1.5 the price of what I can get one online from the US or other parts of the world.
It's cause they can sell it to China customers at full price. No need to lower the prices.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #2448

Quote:
Sure there is

wow too many brands to choose from, how much do Omega watches go for ?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #2449

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS_Racing View Post
did you shop at big chain watch stores or what ?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #2450

Quote:
Longines are usually between 1k-2k, I don't really know much about them though. Brietling can start around $3k for sourced movements, and $10k+ for their in house movements. I'm not a huge fan of Brietling, a little too flashy look-at-me kind of watch(unless you're a pilot), but then again, that's just my personal taste.

Tudor is a brand under Rolex that is meant to be more price accessible. Often referred to as "the poor man's rolex". Kind of like the VW equivalent of Audi, except that Tudor are directly based off Rolex models(unlike VW/audi or honda/acura which is the other way around). Quality is pretty good, but they are still expensive..I would personally rather buy an authentic pre-owned Rolex for the same price.

IWC are awesome, I love them. Again, most of their watches are using ETA movements. The IWC Portuguese is one of those timeless pieces that will always be cool and probably one of the "must-have" chronographs for a lot of collectors.

The mm is just the diameter of the dial (face). There is no relation between size and quality, just personal preference. Get whichever size you like and looks good on your wrist. I have pieces from 32mm up to 44mm, but I have small wrists so a big watch would look funny on me.

hope that helps!

-J
thanks again for the informative post !

I am assuming all the brands listed above run on chains right ? or still battery?

chains are better right ?