REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #876
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,071 Posts
There are par 3 course which are longer than pitch and putts, then there are executive courses which are primarily par 3s & 4s. Some executive courses have a par 5 or two as well and the pace of play is more forgiving than a full length course. I would suggest hitting some executive courses in your area.

I would play Delta, Newlands executive (langley), North 9 at Surrey, Coyote Creek (Surrey), Mylora (Richmond) when I began.. still play Delta every once in a while.
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #877
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
Westwood Exec course (Coq.) also has specials, depending on the time/day.

In terms of holding people up, go with people who can play. They can give you a lot of pointers and keep you on pace. Worst case, you let the group behind, play through. Twilight at most courses, during the week, is less busy, so there's less pressure to hurry up.

I'd also be hesitant to buy brand new gear, when you're just starting out. This is my first season and I'm only into my set for a few hundred bucks for more than decent gear (Burner 2.0 driver, Nickent/Cally hybrids, Titleist 762 4-pw, cheap 60*, putter, 3w and 5w). The putter and wedges are only getting upgraded when I know exactly what I want and can get them for a great deal. The time to buy is in the offseason anyways. Keep an eye out for demos at golf stores, where you can test them out and go on CL once in a while to see if there are good deals.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #878
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

i also recommend starting out with short executive course. most important part of the game isn't really your drives, but your short game. the closer you are to the hole, the more likely you'll be able to sink easy putts. exec courses are good for mid-short iron practice.

if you were to go into getting equipment, consider your irons as a more important part of your budget allocation. from there, slowly fill out your set. took me a good 3 years to fill out my whole set (due to budget constraints and skill). i agree with getting a used clubs first. you won't really tell the difference to be honest. what i usually do is try out clubs in a store or range, then shop online for them. CL and buying from the states is very cheap, especially offseason/end-of-season clearance.
zonda_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #879
private modder

Thanked 2,606 Times in 732 Posts
If I could go back in time when I started playing, here's what I'd do:

1. Make sure you practice/play with the same set consistently. Don't rent (at the cheaper courses the rental clubs are usually junk and overpriced). Borrowing works if you are lucky enough to always use that set all the them whenever you play. If that's not possible, then I suggest buying a set. It doesn't have to be expensive to start. There are starter sets available for a few hundred or you can buy something used online. But either way, you want consistency and need to get used to the clubs that you have.

2. Take lessons to start. It's the best investment you'll ever make. You can take lessons at your local driving range and it's not that expensive. Most people choose to start by learning on their own or getting tips from friends and that's how bad habits start from day one and once you get used to them, it is very challenging to change your swing. A lesson will teach you all those important things from the start (grip, stance, etc) that nobody will show you and it's near impossible to learn by reading.

Pitch and putt is a great way to practice. Whether you're hitting driver or 9 iron, the fundamentals of a golf swing are the same. So the better you are at pitch and putt, the better you'll be on a full course.

I agree with the previous poster, you should go play the big courses with your friends who know golf etiquette. They will help you practice without holding up other groups. Your first few times out, don't worry about trying to play a whole round. Just hit the ball and use the opportunity to practice and don't worry about picking up the ball if you have to. If the ball lands in the rough, who cares, just kick out to the fairway. Think of it as practice and let your friends worry about their own scores. Soon enough you'll want to start following the rules and keeping your own score.

Golf can be pricey but I find its similar to many other recreational activities or hobbies whether it's snowboarding, cars, hockey, etc. But keep in mind that anything you buy will last you many many years.

Eventually you'll love it and will want to invest. Here are some ballpark budgets for decent stuff on sale.

Irons - $450 -$600
Driver - $100 - $150
Putter $100 - $125
Bag $75 - $100
Glove $15 - $20
Balls $20 - $40
Tees $2
Shoes $100 - $150
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #880
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Hi everyone,
Got a question hopefully you guys can help.
I'm extremely new at this and trying to get into golfing. I've taken a couple lessons many years ago and gone to the range quite a few times since.
I can hit mostly straight 90% of the time, and roughly gauged the distance that each iron can go. I've done a bit of reading online but that's about it. It's hard to take the first step into the "big league" (18-holes?)

I have a set of clubs I can borrow and as I learn more about clubs and get comfortable i would get my own set but don't want to invest that much in it yet as I'm not sure if I'll be in it for the long haul. I've been scared to go to a real course. Worried I will hold up anyone behind me and not sure about etiquette. I don't want to pay for expensive lessons, was hoping to kind of "learn as you go" as I am only looking to play extremely recreationally but the range is getting boring and obviously Pitch & Putt is not the same..... are there any beginner friendly courses around town that me and a couple of friends could go and play + sort of practice at the same time?
When is the best time to go as to not disturb the better players? We bring our own clubs and balls right?

Golf doesn't seem like a very noob-friendly sport, like even volleyball there are super rec-level leagues or you can setup a net anywhere and play with your friends of all levels... Golf .. Well I don't have 700 acres of grass in my backyard
Posted via RS Mobile
Hey Deon

My advice would be to get a cheap set of clubs and get some lessons from a golf pro. The pro will be able to get you out on a regular course and teach you etiquette. Once you've had a dozen lessons or so and feel you enjoy the game enough to play it long term, invest in a set of custom fitted clubs that you like. They'll be able to match you up with the proper shaft flex, grips, lie, etc. for your swing.

The best time to go, in my experience, is later at night. Just go for 9 holes at around 5 PM, which gives you about 3 hours of sunlight. Not too many people are out at that time and, if you feel you're holding a group up, just allow them to play through.

If you come over to the island, let me know and I'll do a round with you.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #881
Waxin’ Punks

My setup (and price I paid several years ago):

Callaway X20's - $425 Golftown demo sale
Taylormade R7 Superquad - $250 used CL
Taylormade R7ti 3 wood - $200 new Golftown
Taylormade 3 hybrid - Avion points lol
Taylormade Rac 56* & 60* wedges, $70 ea Golftown
Cleveland 53* wedge - gifted, but likely $100
Scotty Cameron Newport II - $225 Ebay

Getting close to time for new irons/driver.. probably going to keep my Scotty forever. Love it. When it was time for a new putter I told a friend who I was golfing with (and a much better golfer) that I was looking for a putter in the $100 range. He asked me what club I used most... I answered "putter".. then he suggested I invest more in the club I use the most. Great advice. I didn't drop a ton, but took his advice and share it with everyone.

Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #882

^ nice set. that scotty's a keeper for sure if it's the most trusted club in your bag.

any particular irons/drivers you're eyeing at the moment?

on a sidenote, anyone looking at starting out and getting a set of irons should consider these ones TaylorMade Burner 2.0 HP

$300US for some pretty decent and forgiving irons is a steal.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #883

Good call on the putter budget, Brandon - duly noted. (+putt for dough)

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 08-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #884

Personal preference, but I find I shoot much better when I use soft-covered balls. The hard-covered "distance" balls always seem to cause me nothing but grief.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #885
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Thanks for all the pointers guys! It's just so overwhelming ... and I'm still not sure if I really want to get IN to this, I don't want to end up buying a bunch of clubs (even cheap 2nd hand ones) and then have them collecting dust. It's quite the investment... and lessons are NOT cheap either.

I'm talking comparatively to like ... basketball, soccer, just get a ball and go at it ... then there's tennis, you'll need ONE racquet, not a dozen clubs (each costing probably more than a single racquet)
I was just at the range last weekend and started to get the itch to start swinging yesterday hehe... I have most of the basics down like stance and motion, I did take a couple lessons many years ago... but I'm not consistent enough.

What is an "executive course" and what do these terms like "par 3 course" mean, like every hole is a par 3 only? So it's a shorter version of a full course? Isn't it still 18-holes? Sorry for these newb questions.

Ah but it does feel good to slam out a mean shot with a driver...
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #886
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I'm not a great golfer but I do love the challenge of "figuring" out the game. For myself, it's mostly just for chillin as where else cud I spend 40-50 and play for 4-4.5 hrs.

We started playing when we were bored and we went out to coyote creek and I've been hooked ever since. (The golf bug does go away for me at times but when it's back. It's back fr a while). Golf is an addicting sport IMO lol

Another tip perhaps would be to try grass driving ranges where u can hit off the grass instead of the mats. That way u kinda get the game feel lol. Not sure of any courses in van that has it but northview in surrey is 10$ for 100 balls
411ken is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #887

Executive or Short courses are usually 9 (sometimes 12) holes, many par 3's, some par 4's and 5's. It's like the last step before playing a full, 18 hole course (preceded by pitch and putt and long par3 courses) or if you don't have 4.5 hours to play a full course.

Par 3 course is just that, 18, par 3 holes. The difference between a Par 3 and pitch and putt, is that a Par 3 has longer holes, different obstacles and the grass is generally a lot nicer, with better scenery.
Meridian Golf Par 3 - South Surrey BC - Home

In terms of equipment, I think you should piece together some good quality, brand name, used/demo clubs and bag and some new shoes/glove. Since they're already used, you won't take such a huge hit if you decide the game's not for you and re-sell them. Are you a righty or lefty btw?

RSUV #7
Old 08-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #888
Waxin’ Punks

There are 18 hole executives out there as well, Delta, Coyote Creek, pretty sure Mylora in Richmond as well (been a long time). Basically, wherever they don't have enough land for a full length course.

Great advice by 411ken in regard to grass driving ranges. Northview is a great place to kill a couple hours practicing at the range, bunkers and greens (both putting and chipping).

Morgan Creek offers a similar setup. Fortunately for me, it's right down the street

Quote:
any particular irons/drivers you're eyeing at the moment?
Haven't gone to hit any yet, but GT has RocketBallz and Razrs on sale right now so I'm gonna go hit both.. I've had 3 sets of irons and they've all been Callaways so chances are I'll get the Razrs since I've always liked the feel. Who knows though, maybe I'll like the RBZ more.

As for drivers.. I'll probably go hit the R1 first but will be open minded and listen to what the pro says is best for my swing. But if I don't like how it looks at address, then I might sacrifice yardage/clubhead speed for what looks right since I find being comfortable with the club in your hand greatly increases your chances of hitting a good shot.

Ever say "I hate this club" then hit a poor shot with it? Golf is an interestingly mental game like that..

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by punkwax; 08-24-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #889

golf is definitely very addicting. sadly, it can get expensive too. definitely need a lot of patience when starting out as it definitely is a mental game. didn't have that much patience to learn the game when i was still very young. now i regret it actually.

@Nodnarb: i definitely agree that callaway has some good irons (i'm using the ft irons myself). if you don't mind holding out a bit more, wait for the prices of the x hot irons to drop (tour models if you wanna really take take your game to the next level). i haven't had the change to try them yet, but a lot of people are saying that they're the best callaways in a while (even better than the razrs).

as for drivers, i just got the r1 black. it's a great club. at address, the white version looked a little obnoxious to me. i prefer more of a classic look. before choosing the r1, i looked at the callaway x hot and razr fit xtreme. they were both very easy to hit and i got a good distance increase out of them. i was somehow more consistent with the r1 and i was getting a higher launch, which was one of my criteria. you may also wanna look at the optiforce. never had the chance to try it since i made up my mind just before it hit the store shelves.

any criteria you're looking for when making your shortlist?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #890
Waxin’ Punks

Primarily distance but again, if it doesn't look right at address then I would opt for a bit less distance if I think I'd be more consistently straight. My avg drive is only 230-250 because I usually fade the ball. If it goes straight, then I get the extra 20yds around the 250 mark but have hit some 280 when I really connect.

I'd like to have a bit more of a bomb in the bag when I need it since I hit my 3 wood around 230 anyway. I pretty much only hit 3 if I think I'll run out of fairway with driver..

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by punkwax; 08-24-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #891

I use a 12 degree Yonex Cyberstar Powerbrid driver. Love it (when I'm swinging properly). Usually get between 250-290 yards with the odd 300+ yard drive.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #892
Waxin’ Punks

12 degree hey? That's a lot of loft!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #893

I was a bit skeptical at first, too, coming from a Cobra Titanium Gravity Back 10.5 degree and a Ping Titanium ISI 8.5 degree, but I found the 12 degree gives me a lot more carry distance and more overall distance compared to the others (there are probably other factors, too).
Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #894

@Nodnarb: consistently straight is definitely a good thing. better on the fairway than in the rough for the second shot. hmm.. your swing speed may be fairly close to mine since my average driver yardages are fairly close. are you using regular or stiff shafts?

@Jmac: 12 degrees sounds crazy too. then again, i find carry a lot more important as well. air's more dense here so higher launch = better.

how's your ball/address position? i read this article and it helped me figure out how to get my launch angles higher (as a result, more carry): Hit it farther with the right attack angle - GolfWRX. for me, the only thing i needed to change was my spine angle. maybe give it a try the next time you're on the range? just be careful though. it may/may not work so take it with a grain of salt at first. just thought i'd share something that worked for me.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #895
Waxin’ Punks

I play 9.5 and usually hit a high fade.. hard for me to hit a stinger type drive to avoid headwind.

zonda, I play reg flex with stiff tip.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #896

hmm.. you might wanna try to lower your angle of attack on the ball if you want to have a more penetrating trajectory. i was actually on the range today, trying to work on that. my drives kept getting picked up by the wind when i played kings links in ladner. the course is pretty tough.

r7 superquad stock shaft? that's the fujikura re*ax 65g right (if google's correct)?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #897

I usually hit a slight draw, so the higher loft doesn't really hurt me that bad.

Besides, going over the forest on doglegs is fucking awesome (when you hit it well)
Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #898
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Played Sandpiper from this tips this afternoon.. Driver easily cost me 4-5 stokes. Had to punch out of the trees, which resulted in a few more bogies than I was hoping. None the less, a 78.

Posted via RS Mobile
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #899

Shot an 89 today, which I was happy with ... despite the fact I'd normally be pissed ... but given how crappy I've played over the last 6 weeks, I'll take it.

6 pars and a birdie ... Unfortunately, that means that I was +18 over the other 11 holes ...

Short game killed me early, lost the driver in the middle, and I just lost it in general over the back 6 (hard day at work, arms were already jelly-like going into the round).

We're doing my home course next week, so hopefully that'll kickstart my game. I've been playing there for over 15 years and even finished 2nd in a juniors tournament there, so I know it like I know the back of my hand. And I'll be back in school, so arm fatigue and a stiff back shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #900
Waxin’ Punks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonda_s View Post
r7 superquad stock shaft? that's the fujikura re*ax 65g right (if google's correct)?
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I usually hit a slight draw, so the higher loft doesn't really hurt me that bad.

Besides, going over the forest on doglegs is fucking awesome (when you hit it well)
Agreed! From left to right with driver for me I can really slice it if I want to, so if the shot calls for it, I'll bend it around there pretty good.

Plus I can draw it pretty well with my long irons, so I have both directions in the bag.. certainly helps!

Quote:
Quote: