REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   How to Have a VI Withdrawn (https://www.revscene.net/forums/49604-how-have-vi-withdrawn.html)

skidmark 05-17-2002 02:27 PM

How to Have a VI Withdrawn

A VI cannot be disputed like a ticket, however, if it is not justified you may be able to have it withdrawn.

1) When it is issued, politely question the officer and ask for the items that triggered the order. If you know that they are lawful mods, point it out, and explain why you know it is legal. Ask them to reconsider issuing the VI.

2) If #1 doesn't work, go on with your day and do some research to make sure the mods mentioned are legal. Call the Detachment/Department the issuing officer works at and try to make an appointment to discuss a reconsideration with the officer.

3) If #2 doesn't work or the officer does not want to discuss it with you, contact the same Detachment/Department in a second phonecall and make an appointment to discuss the VI with the issuing officer's supervisor.

4) If #3 doesn't work at this point you are pretty much stuck with the VI unless you want to try one last appeal to the head of the Detachment/Department. Chances are that they will go with the supervisor's decision unless you can convince them otherwise.

5) If you go through with the VI and the facility finds no defects, you can consider a complaint to the RCMP Public Complaints Commission or the BC Police Complaints Commission depending if it was an RCMP officer or a city police officer that issued the VI.

6) You could consider trying to recover the cost of the VI, but at this point I suspect that you would need legal counsel for advice.

If you do have defects, even if they are different from the ones the issuing officer originally pointed out, perhaps it is best to take the VI as it is. All equipment violations are $86 tickets and if written under section 219(1) MVA they end up on your driving record. The VI doesn't (unless you have a National Safety Code Number - commercial vehicles).

When I issue a VI, I make sure that there are significant problems, and make notes on the back of my copy for later referral. Once written, I will not withdraw one as I am confident that it was written for a valid reason.

4doormadman 05-17-2002 03:21 PM

you know, its funny cuz i once went to visit an officer at the richmond detachment about a VI he had issued me
he wouldn't withdraw it, and he also made up this excuse that it's out of his hands(??) and that ICBC actually handles the matter

is this tru? or was he just being an ass??:confused:

4G63 BT 05-17-2002 03:33 PM

As skidmark suggested, it is not impossible to appeal a VI, but you only have 3-30 days to appeal or face the risk of a $575fine+impound fee.

Johnny33 05-17-2002 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 4doormadman
you know, its funny cuz i once went to visit an officer at the richmond detachment about a VI he had issued me
he wouldn't withdraw it, and he also made up this excuse that it's out of his hands(??) and that ICBC actually handles the matter

is this tru? or was he just being an ass??:confused:

did u try step #3?

skidmark 05-17-2002 06:44 PM

Perhaps he didn't know that he could withdraw it after it was issued. All I had to do to withdraw one was to fax a letter before the 30 days was up.

4doormadman 05-18-2002 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by skidmark
Perhaps he didn't know that he could withdraw it after it was issued. All I had to do to withdraw one was to fax a letter before the 30 days was up.
i knew it! there had to be a way to withdraw it, he just didn't want to do it!
thnks skidmark, i'll make sure to let the officer know:D

even his supervisor didn't know

skidmark 05-18-2002 07:57 AM

I didn't know that either until I inquired to find out what to do.

Johnny33 05-18-2002 10:51 AM

who do they have to fax, exactly?

skidmark 05-18-2002 01:37 PM

Can't Post FAX Number Here

It's a police only number that I am not allowed to post here.

Eff-1 07-22-2009 10:08 PM

Bump an old thread.

Took me a LONG time to find it, given how the search function operates now. Suggest that this thread become a sticky.

Raid3n 03-08-2010 09:17 PM

+1 for sticky

Inaii 03-08-2010 09:19 PM

+2 for sticky. Mostly because I have a question. If you're given a VI in one city, but you live in another (say given one in Vancouver but live in Abbotsford), could you speak to an RCMP officer out there? Or would you have to come all the way into Vancouver to speak to the issuing officer?

!Yaminashi 03-09-2010 11:41 AM

Skidmark, just curious...
What are the most common reasons that you've given VI's?

Tint? Hids?

JHatta 03-09-2010 11:51 AM

Loud and Low is what I commonly see

zulutango 03-09-2010 03:00 PM

If you have questions about the VI you get then you should speak to the issuing officer as only they know the specifics.

What do VI's get issued for ? Defective vehicles...not to be smartassed. It depends on what the defects are as to what level you get. A burned out lic plate lite probably would get a # 3. Add a loud exhaust to underglow, oversized tyres and tinted windows and you're looking at a # 2 in my notebook. Lack of ground clearance or bald tyres or rusted frames or excessive steering slop or steering rub, then it's a #1 and a tow.

JL9000 03-12-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4doormadman (Post 781935)

I've seen this happen with a specific officer in different cases where he refuses to discuss the legality of aftermarket parts. A co-worker of mine, who is a licensed vehicle inspector, tried to explain to him once why aftermarket parts can be legal after he handed a friend a VI that was not justified and the officer said that he did not actually know what's legal and what isn't and told my co-worker he should talk to ICBC for details. :confused:

spoon.ek9 04-03-2010 11:50 PM

there really should be a VI Sticky with clear and concise details on what is and is not legal.

skidmark 04-04-2010 07:01 AM

How high is up? It would need a book, not a post, to cover all of that.