REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-04-2007, 11:41 PM   #51
Banned By Establishment

Re: Re: Re: Car of your dreams vs. the car that is logical... Oh dilemmas

Quote:
Originally posted by freakshow

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks it's a pretty sad existence to live life with a bang-what-i-can mentality.

Oh living all your life like that would be hollow and shitty, but living a couple years like that can be fun You only get your youth once, you can always find a woman to marry at 33-35 after you've had your fun. If you get married at 22, well, that's for life, is it not? Then if you want a divorce and be free at any point, you're fucked. Like I said, you can always find a 23-27 year old woman when you're 35.
Advertisement
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:42 PM   #52
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally posted by asian_XL
^ you spend 1/3 of your life in your bed...but most people pay no more than 200 for a mattress...
200???

You asians and your fancy beds. I sleep on a grill on the floor in my room. That's how I rock things.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:45 PM   #53
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally posted by What_the?
Well, i've had others before her, but this gf is more of a serious long term one for sure, and we have been talking about marriage and this and that after she's finished school... but that's sort of off-topic

Yeah I don't mean to sound like I didn't think you did, but you never know how your relationship might be in 3 years.

Get the BMW while you're young dude. Drive the balls off of it. You're only young once, enjoy it! Don't be one of those 40 year old dudes, single with a Corvette, bald spot and a gut trying to pick up young chicks. Or is that just a white thing? Haha.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:05 AM   #54
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

yea... you guys are making alot of sense here...

Well, i've been thinking of the logical way out, and i think i may have come to a happy compromise...

Someone in the thread said I could find a pretty decent used car for 20-ish K... and so I went to take a look... sure enough, we've got some bmws, g35s and is300s and such in that range... albeit some of that pricing is in the states, but at least i'm aware of what's out there...

I'm thinking of maybe trying to get a loan or line of credit for a larger lump sum (25k?) and then buying a nice used car (i.e. like the list above)... The new civic would've cost me $25k also, paid out over very small amounts...

Although one thing is that i've currently got a student line of credit, and when i grad it turns into a loan. What are the chances that the bank will give me another 25k even though i owe them money already?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:07 AM   #55
Banned (ABWS)

Gotta leave it to Jason and Marco to knock some sense into people

But Jason pretty much nailed it on the spot there w/ the SENSIBLE vs SPLURGE yourself a bit angle there.

I have to say, after a day of prescriptions and looking at pills... leasing a (hopefully) headache free BMW that you can send back to the dealership and not worry about warranties is a pretty good option.

Or you could finance it and sell it back out. From what I've seen both route is fairly similar re: what you end up paying... just depends on if the vehicle is still in high demand AFTER warranty expires. Jap cars tend to fetch more... I'd say lease too.
Feint* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:09 AM   #56
RS Veteran

I think with the salary you are expected to make and no shortage of job markets within pharmacy, you should definately take a dive and spoil yourself.

Money is made to be spent.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:13 AM   #57
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asian_XL
^ you spend 1/3 of your life in your bed...but most people pay no more than 200 for a mattress...
Yeah but those are the same people that drive the Civics over the Bimmers
Like I said different people have different priorities. They might want to buy a civic so they could get a $6000 LV bag or some nonsense. (At least in my perspective)

There are many people that buy those fancy shmancy adjustable beds, those spring loaded gizmos (See Bowling Ball Ad), water beds, massage beds, rock hard beds that are suppose to be healthy (SeaHorse Brand anyone?)
Personally I have a super mushy, old bed that I've used for like a billion years so I don't know how much those go for nowadays but I'm sure it's way more than $200 and some people will buy them just like the civic - bmw comparison.

Haha you would be passed out on the bed anyways it's not like your riding it like a car.

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:18 AM   #58
I STILL don't get it

Im in a similar situation, in that i finally got a good job with a future and its time for me to get a car.

Im 23 and have longed for the day i could drive something nice so for me, it was a pretty easy decision.

Im going to go with a 350z or a g35 because they are really nice and can be had for about the same price as a new civic, if you go through the states

My advice is do it well you're young, when you get older and can buy an even nicer car butit wont bring you as much joy as buying a nice car now and enjoying it well you're young.

And the cynical side of me always says that tomorow is not guarenteed, so dont overplan with woman or money or cars because they might all disapeer in an instant anyway.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:29 AM   #59
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

buy the bmw. you only live once
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:18 AM   #60
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurostar
Haha you would be passed out on the bed anyways it's not like your riding it like a car. [/B]
Get a great bed, and get a great car. I have a top of the line Simmons Beauty Rest, Patresi sheets, goose down pillows...and all the chicks that have been in this bed have had their defences eliminated.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:18 AM   #61
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean@Home

My advice is do it well you're young, when you get older and can buy an even nicer car butit wont bring you as much joy as buying a nice car now and enjoying it well you're young.

And the cynical side of me always says that tomorow is not guarenteed, so dont overplan with woman or money or cars because they might all disapeer in an instant anyway.
I agree with Sean 100%, when I was younger, I was more conservative with my money, always planning for a rainy day. However, when I look back, I would have extended my self a little more when I was 23. If I could do it again, I would have bought the E36 325is (drool in it's day) Vs the Honda Prelude I actually bought. I am in my 30s now and to be frank with you, driving kool cars in your 30s are just not the same as driving kool cars in your 20s. Cars mean allot more when you are young.

The way I look at it now, if you extend/stretch yourself a little, it just gives you more motivation to make more dough so you can buy nicer and kooler things....a really good incentive to improve your situation.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #62
SFICC-05*

Quote:
Originally posted by Marco911
I have a top of the line Simmons Beauty Rest, Patresi sheets, goose down pillows...and all the chicks that have been in this bed have had their defences eliminated.
So... that makes your mom and your sister?

OP: Depends what kind of person you are... but whatever choice you make, a line of credit for a car, imho, isn't a good choice.
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:59 AM   #63
Banned By Establishment

Besides, you could end up like a guy I knew, tons of cash in the bank at 30 having saved, saved, saved and driving beaters all his life, never drinking, never touching drugs, never partyings, basically a straight shooter all the way.

He had a headache for 2 days, ended up going to the hospital after nothing worked, passed out shortly after being admitted. They did a MRI or whatever of his head and found a very rare cancer. He died a week later.

0 warning, just one day a headache, a couple days later he passed out and never regained consciousness. Enjoy life while it's here man!!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #64
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i make 4k a paycheck after taxes. Buy the civic, not the Bimmer. Trust me. Paying out the ass on a car sucks when you want money to buy other expensive toys. Like a new plasma tv, or an xbox 360 when it your old one dies. Going out on the town and taking your friends with you, etc.

Go light my man, go light.

Quote:
Originally posted by E N D L E S S

Yeah and if you fill up half tank v-power and then go fill the rest with chevron techron you got mad vtech power yo
----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
Therin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #65
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Get a 335.. I wish I had one..
riccof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #66
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Therin
i make 4k a paycheck after taxes. Buy the civic, not the Bimmer. Trust me. Paying out the ass on a car sucks when you want money to buy other expensive toys. Like a new plasma tv, or an xbox 360 when it your old one dies. Going out on the town and taking your friends with you, etc.

Go light my man, go light.
True. It all depends where your passion is. Some people have one or two things they dump their money into, and if cars is one of em, let it be.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #67
Banned By Establishment

Paying out the ass on a car sucks when you want money to buy other expensive toys. Like a new plasma tv, or an xbox 360 when it your old one dies.

Yeah, only trouble is that come the summer time, which would you rather be doing, driving around in a PIMPING BMW, or at home playing Xbox 360 with your Civic in the driveway?

Shit, 10 years from now you'll be balding with a family(maybe), might as well forget about the video games and Civics and worry about enjoying the BMW Unless you have the money to do both!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:56 PM   #68

Well honestly I think there are good points to both sides of the argument... thus see my above post for my balance... Which is to get something like a used g35 for the price of a new civic or something... I'll be paying a bit more interest assuming i get a loan from the bank... but i guess that's just part of the price to pay...

But...pertaining to my above question... does anyone know if a bank would be likely to lend me like 25-30k more money if i already owe them a large amount? My student line of credit will be converted to a loan in the summer...
Old 12-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #69
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,812 Times in 982 Posts
^^ They probably won't give you that much of a loan.. I mean, you should at least wait till you start your job!
haha.. even then, with your salary, just wait ~6 months and you should have enough to either a) buy the used car you want, or b) convince the bank to give you the rest.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #70
Ebisu Boss

Yeah usually for a loan (especially when your already owing) They will check your annual income and such, which I'm guessing yours is currently $0 hehe .. so be a little patient and with the money your gonna rake in very soon you can get one in no time!

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Old 12-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #71

ok got it!

I'm just worried that if they close my Line of Credit to convert it into a loan, should I have that money come out first and then it all gets stuffed into a loan (the interest doesn't seem too bad... prime +1)... As opposed to trying to start up another line of credit after?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:45 AM   #72
I bringith the lowerballerith

i hv seen ppl dump most of their monthy salary onto some fancy cars, just for showing off their wealth that doesnt exsist. Thats just plain stupid and childish.

Cars is like cellphones from phone providers. They don't care giving you the phone for free as long as they can keep you in contract forever. Financing or leasing a new car of your dream is about the same thing but think about the money you have and you will spent on it, it may possibly help u do something else more important for you life like mortageing a house or investing on safe stocks. Those kind of investment makes money but having a car dont.

Point is you should always buy/invest on things that can last as long as possible, as useful as possible, and at best its able to roll like snowball, worth more in time.

I would love to finance a new car too, i can easliy afford a used bmw but even a used one not worth gambling on my future.

feel free to add me!
yangwenli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:02 AM   #73
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

^^My '05 BMW has been great.

Seriously though, you're a professional now, go get the 3-Series and enjoy. Don't worry about financing through the bank, start working and BMW Finance will give you credit.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #74
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally posted by yangwenli
i hv seen ppl dump most of their monthy salary onto some fancy cars, just for showing off their wealth that doesnt exsist. Thats just plain stupid and childish.

Cars is like cellphones from phone providers. They don't care giving you the phone for free as long as they can keep you in contract forever. Financing or leasing a new car of your dream is about the same thing but think about the money you have and you will spent on it, it may possibly help u do something else more important for you life like mortageing a house or investing on safe stocks. Those kind of investment makes money but having a car dont.

Point is you should always buy/invest on things that can last as long as possible, as useful as possible, and at best its able to roll like snowball, worth more in time.

I would love to finance a new car too, i can easliy afford a used bmw but even a used one not worth gambling on my future.
I have a buddy who's brothers friend had the exact same mentality as you. Had his whole life planned out, was raking in the cash, was saving up to look into mortgaging a house after he marries, was a smart invester, didn't spend money on anything deemed "not necessary" such as nice cars, big TV, etc.. Barely went out with his friends to drink/chill/eat not because he didn't want to but because he wanted to 'Keep saving for the future' so he can't 'Afford' to party with the crew.. all the while driving a beat-up decade plus old Mazda MPV. Basically he had his whole life set after the age of 30 or so. Who knows maybe get a Porsche when he's 40 and balding.

Until he took his fiance skiing ... and the chair lift they were on broke off the line..... He didn't make it to the hospital. He was 28.

Not to be disrespectful but I'm sure all those stocks & bonds that have doubled are doing him lots of good now. Life itself is a gamble my friend.

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718

Last edited by Obsideon; 12-06-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #75
Need to Seek Professional Help

There are always extremes - people who scrimp like nuts, never enjoying life, and those who have money and spend it as almost as fast as they can make it, falling really hard when life throws them a curveball.

IMO, the best is to find the point of moderation between the extremes that you're happy with. I think the fact that you're (original poster) thinking of a 3-series, on a very good salary, rather than a bigger stretch is indicative that you haven't gone too far in the spendy direction.

Making that much money, you should have plenty of money to cover other things in life. It will just take longer to pay off the mortgage etc.

This IMo is a greater issue if your level of income is more modest. Plenty of people out there that live beyond their means.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote