REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 06-07-2021, 12:28 AM   #11401
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Wrath of Man - 7.5/10

It was good for what it was, and that's Jason Statham being a badass in an action packed movie. Plot could have been a little better, this movie was based off of a 2004 French movie. Not bad.
Advertisement
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2021, 02:01 AM   #11402
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,343 Times in 971 Posts

NOT a fan of emma stone on these dark movies. Did not give an F on this.

Turned out it was really nicely scripted, decent paced and the music score was really really good.

Not too many big ticket A class cast but it worked well. a 2 hr movie but I was entertained. Really glad I watched it.

The set and costume was nicely done.

8/10
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2021, 09:27 PM   #11403
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,421 Times in 5,102 Posts
Army of the Dead - 3/10

I watched this despite my better judgement, way too long, way too stupid... I'm not even going to bother spoiler alerting this post but what the fuck was the point of the entire mission if every single objective wasn't met including the ones added part way through by sentimental dumbasses and literally everyone died in the process. The ending was particularly WTF, I thought at first he was going to go see the Japanese guy for payback, which would have made sense and made for some kind of vindication, but he's just taking a holiday trip or something?! What a waste of time. There was some good stuff in the beginning and I liked seeing "Shades" from Luke Cage show up as the greasy security guy... bonus points for having an IROC Z-28 at the end too, would have been 2/10 without those things lol.

Wrath of Man - 7/10

This was a satisfying watch, I liked it, I thought they showed the bit with the son a bit too early into the movie, lots of mystery and tension up until then but after that you're just waiting for it all to play out... still entertaining. I enjoyed it a bit extra maybe because I really like Holt McCallany who played Bill in the excellent TV show Mindhunter.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2021, 01:28 AM   #11404

1st one was really good. They took to it and made part 2.
Continued really well. From the cast, setting, pace, and script was extremely well balanced to ensure it kept to part 1 with good suspense.
Few loop holes here; already know what's going to happen but still a solid movie.

8.5/10 Worth watching.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2021, 02:09 AM   #11405
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
I didn't know they finally released a quiet place 2!

Agreed with Cruella turned out to be pretty well made and a nice watch, maybe bcuz I was expecting it to be bad
8/10

I thought wrath of man was a 5/10 at best, and I'm a statham fan, felt like guy ritchie really dialed it in with the script

Latest Conjuring movie was pretty good, first half at least, hadn't watched a horror in awhile, and this satisfied, I'd say it was better than the last conjuring movie 6.5/10 (horror rating)

Anyone watch the latest FnF yet?

Last edited by StylinRed; 06-15-2021 at 02:14 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2021, 04:14 PM   #11406
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I recently saw a poll on facebook.
Since there was some Asian movies sprinkled in throughout the thread it's not too off topic.

Curiously, in your opinion what has been the SCARIEST movie you've ever seen?
Also what was the FUNNIEST movie/scene?

For the me the scariest was Ju-On: The Grudge (the original Japanese one) ... I couldn't shower for days lmao ... I don't watch many horror movies I'm a pussy lol.

The funniest movies were mostly Hong Kong movies, yes the movies themselves were below average but I remember laughing until I almost peed myself watching The Conman (Ronaldo soccer scene) and La Brassiere (trying on bras scene) ... yes I'm easily amused.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2021, 04:48 PM   #11407
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Since there was some Asian movies sprinkled in throughout the thread it's not too off topic.

For the me the scariest was Ju-On: The Grudge (the original Japanese one) ... I couldn't shower for days lmao ... I don't watch many horror movies I'm a pussy lol.

The funniest movies were mostly Hong Kong movies, yes the movies themselves were below average but I remember laughing until I almost peed myself watching The Conman (Ronaldo soccer scene) and La Brassiere (trying on bras scene) ... yes I'm easily amused.
Ju On was definitely scarier than The Ring even though the Ring is more famous. It's actually a really badly made movie but that's probably why it's so scary. Makes the Blair Witch Project look like child's play
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:45 PM   #11408

The ring was good but the one in Jap was by far the best.

The grudge climbing out of TV was FOOOOOKed up.

Funniest. La Brassiere was pretty good.
低俗喜劇; this scene was hilarious.

King of Comedy 1999 喜劇之王.. I still remember the entire theater was bursting outlaughin....the nose dripping scene

This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2021, 11:12 PM   #11409
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
While channel surfing, I came across this Chadwick Boseman movie, 42. At first I was like, "Not another historically incorrect biography." I was wrong. It's a pretty accurate account of the story behind baseball great, Jackie Robinson. Harrison Ford also stars in this movie.

After watching this movie, I started listening to SiriusXm Podcast, Black Diamonds. Negro League Baseball.

https://www.siriusxm.ca/black-diamonds/
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2021, 03:54 PM   #11410
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
The ring was good but the one in Jap was by far the best.

The grudge climbing out of TV was FOOOOOKed up.

Funniest. La Brassiere was pretty good.
低俗喜劇; this scene was hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-eG1PkUELg

King of Comedy 1999 喜劇之王.. I still remember the entire theater was bursting outlaughin....the nose dripping scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6gpGP3aE7M
Every now and then I still dig up some Stephen Chow classics to binge. They don't make'em like that anymore. I just re-watched God of Cooking and Shaolin Soccer again a few months ago.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:09 PM   #11411
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Another banger.

ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2021, 12:23 AM   #11412
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,493 Times in 555 Posts
Been a minute since I posted here (kimi no na wa back in Mar '18) but I finally got to watch *a* movie with the homies for the first time in what feels like forever. Anyway...

Luca: 7.5/10 - BEAUTIFUL visuals (one of Pixar's best looking films to date), simple back to basics plot (the boys want a Vespa) and likeable characters.

Exceptional as a direct-to-video movie, but if it was in theaters, expectations would be higher (coco levels of polish) especially for a Pixar film.

Also finally watched Ferris Bueller. Solid 10. Hilarious movie that's aged well.
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:34 AM   #11413
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Cruella 8.5/10

Has something for everyone, fantastic movie. The soundtrack was simply perfect.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:56 PM   #11414
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Infinite 1/10

I have no idea where this movie came from, but I was waiting for it to be over like 10 minutes in. Should have just found something on Netflix instead, oh well
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:03 PM   #11415
Performance Moderator

Wish Dragon - 7.5/10

I thought this was really nice, it's short like 1.5hrs but it doesn't need to be any longer... some negative points for the kid being a crazy ass creeper over all the years, but some pretty funny moments and great comedic timing from the dragon.

Some jokes I could tell would be a lot funnier for people who grew up in an asian household, I still get them but they don't mean as much to me since my family wasn't the same way (didn't grow up in a communal household with loads of family nearby) but still good for a laugh.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2021, 02:27 AM   #11416
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post

in my mind the ring and ju-on are kinda merged and mixed together.

although i saw the american ring first, so that had a bigger affect on me. I am to this day still scared of being alone in the dark with a TV that hits the any static channel.

I remember when the american ring girl came outta the TV, and then teleported forward, everyone in the theatre fucking shat their pants and jumped back and screamed LOL.

when i finally saw the japanese ring, the japanese ring girl with her eye and hair split after she came out was really scary, that image is burnt into my memory. but the acting of the other Japanese actors ruined it LOL.

there has not been another scary movie that makes me look over my shoulders at night or in the shower or anything like that since.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2021, 09:27 AM   #11417
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
[QUOTE=Ulic Qel-Droma;9031311

I remember when the american ring girl came outta the TV, and then teleported forward, everyone in the theatre fucking shat their pants and jumped back and screamed LOL.

[/QUOTE]

LOL I will forever remember this scene. I was in HS and watched this at one of the theaters on Granville downtown, I think it was Famous Players. As the girl came out and was ever so slowly moving I turned to a friend and said why doesn't someone just rush this just and jump kick her in the face and literally as I said that she teleported forward and we got a nice startle, good times.

As for scary movies I don't know, I think there was only ever like 2 movies I watched where I was scared. I don't remember the names, I was maybe like 7 or 8 at the time but they definitely were not the mainstream big hits like Jason, or Halloween etc. Despite that, I've still always been down for the genre even though they aren't scary.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #11418
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
Just watched this, pacing was a bit slow for me. Ending was meh.
4/10
Old 06-23-2021, 01:52 PM   #11419
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
in my mind the ring and ju-on are kinda merged and mixed together.

although i saw the american ring first, so that had a bigger affect on me. I am to this day still scared of being alone in the dark with a TV that hits the any static channel.

when i finally saw the japanese ring, the japanese ring girl with her eye and hair split after she came out was really scary, that image is burnt into my memory. but the acting of the other Japanese actors ruined it LOL.

there has not been another scary movie that makes me look over my shoulders at night or in the shower or anything like that since.
As seems to be the trend, Western horror movies rely more on jump scares and shock value, whereas Asian versions are creepy AF and more realistic which to me is way scarier.

Because of Ju-on for months when I saw a dark cat in an alley I freaked the fuck out lmao
I remember I had just watched it a week prior and I was doing a delivery to a house. There was a cat perched on the couch inside the window. It was pitch black so I wasn't sure if it was the right place. I called the house and the lady said to swing around the back cuz they live in the basement. As I was walking down the corridor beside the house, a pair of eyes appeared out of nowhere. It was another cat that was standing on the 5th step of a staircase so it was about my eye level.

I screamed like a little girl.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:36 AM   #11420
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Wish Dragon - 7.5/10

I thought this was really nice, it's short like 1.5hrs but it doesn't need to be any longer... some negative points for the kid being a crazy ass creeper over all the years, but some pretty funny moments and great comedic timing from the dragon.

Some jokes I could tell would be a lot funnier for people who grew up in an asian household, I still get them but they don't mean as much to me since my family wasn't the same way (didn't grow up in a communal household with loads of family nearby) but still good for a laugh.
It wasn't bad, it was just aladdin from a Chinese POV, they even named the kid Din

A good Netflix movie if ur bored definitely

6/10
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:40 PM   #11421
Performance Moderator

I watched the special features and John Cho seemed to be insinuating that Aladdin appropriated Chinese mythology so this was the “original” haha I have no idea if he’s correct or was just being tongue-in-cheek but definitely had that vibe.

Was also amused that all the writers and the director were white.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:53 PM   #11422
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I watched the special features and John Cho seemed to be insinuating that Aladdin appropriated Chinese mythology so this was the “original” haha I have no idea if he’s correct or was just being tongue-in-cheek but definitely had that vibe.

Was also amused that all the writers and the director were white.
If you're bored some time, maybe you can give the wikis of the original collection and original story a look and see if you agree
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2021, 03:04 AM   #11423
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
yes the first few lines of the original story says it takes place in "cathay"... aka china.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:54 PM   #11424
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Watched Luca, it was very good. Beautiful visuals as mentioned snd a bit of a soft spot for me as it’s clearly based in the Italian riviera/cinque terre which I’ve been to a few times.

I wouldn’t say it’s better than Coco but it’s pretty close
Old 07-03-2021, 10:37 PM   #11425
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
The tomorrow war 7.5/10

Solid movie not deserve of the 50% RT score.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote