REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 07-17-2022, 08:52 PM   #11701
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,688 Posts
Finally watched Maverick.

I give it a 7.5/10.

Enjoyable and the flight scenes were exciting as expected. I can only imagine how much better it would have been if I was in a DBOX seat. This seemed like the perfect movie to really make use of DBOX.

The story was alright. Straight to the point. I don't see the massive hype behind it, but it was pretty good. I wished it did have a bit more character development though. Some side characters were pretty much dumbed down to basically being an extra.

For some nostalgia, the movie's opening sequence was pretty much exactly the same as the first one.
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 11:08 PM   #11702
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts

10/10
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:06 AM   #11703
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Finally watched Maverick.

I give it a 7.5/10.

Enjoyable and the flight scenes were exciting as expected. I can only imagine how much better it would have been if I was in a DBOX seat. This seemed like the perfect movie to really make use of DBOX.

The story was alright. Straight to the point. I don't see the massive hype behind it, but it was pretty good. I wished it did have a bit more character development though. Some side characters were pretty much dumbed down to basically being an extra.

For some nostalgia, the movie's opening sequence was pretty much exactly the same as the first one.
I watched it a fourth time tonight: IMAX (best), Dbox (distracting), AVX (excellent) and regular (better than I expected) screenings.

There were a lot of Easter eggs to the original, not just the opening sequence! Just to name a few:

Spoiler!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi

Last edited by Gumby; 07-18-2022 at 12:17 AM.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2022, 09:29 AM   #11704
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,353 Times in 5,069 Posts
Spoiler!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2022, 01:44 PM   #11705
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,683 Posts
I cannot wait for this John Wick sequel.

Donnie Yen joins the John Wick franchise!

The choreography for the fight scenes, especially the fights between Wick and Yen's character, will be even better because of Donnie.

March 24, 2023.

Last edited by pastarocket; 07-27-2022 at 01:51 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:37 AM   #11706
Banned (ABWS)?

Kimi
5.5/10.

The overall concept is not bad and I am ok with Zoë Kravitz's acting, but the writing was terrible. Her character was inconsistent, the ending felt abrupt and out of no where, dry humor was implemented in the movie where there was none up until that point. The events were rather predictable, and in typical thriller fashion, characters making blatantly poor decisions to keep the plot moving. Too many characters were under utilized and didn't feel like they really mattered at the end of it. The movie is only 1.5 hrs, so if you're looking for a short movie to kill some time, it's alright.

Spoiler!

Last edited by AzNightmare; 08-04-2022 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:44 AM   #11707
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,890 Posts
Red 1/10 ... was really hoping that it was good. Canadian Asian content with setting in Toronto.

If you want a movie for kiddies to talk about the changing emotions of puberty/growing up etc. Inside Out is 10x better.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:19 AM   #11708
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
Prey

I really hate giving numbers so I'm just going to say I enjoyed it and I'm glad they went this direction with the era they chose. For sure, there is some of the usual plot hole armor shit but overall I liked it.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 02:41 PM   #11709
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Prey 7/10

Seriously it was pretty entertaining.
decent plot, Charactors, Action

Last edited by Bender Unit; 08-10-2022 at 03:35 PM.
Bender Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:21 PM   #11710
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,283 Times in 2,503 Posts
Prey -- 7/10 overall, 10/10 for all the nature scenes

I thought the pacing of the plot was excellent, and the way suspense was handled was fantastic too. I also really enjoyed the nature scenes.

I didn't enjoy some of the plot elements that didn't make much sense to me, most notably now Big Brother just sort of gave up in the middle of the fight when he was supposed to be the best hunter / fighter in the tribe. The part where the female lead kicked all the settlers' a$$es despite having what should have been a bad enough leg gash was not at all convincing.

Funny thing is, after watching Prey, I went back to watch Arnold's OG Predator, and LOL~ There were definitely tons of stuff in there that wouldn't be acceptable by today's standards, even though the movie already rated R.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:49 PM   #11711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Prey -- 7/10 overall, 10/10 for all the nature scenes

I thought the pacing of the plot was excellent, and the way suspense was handled was fantastic too. I also really enjoyed the nature scenes.

I didn't enjoy some of the plot elements that didn't make much sense to me, most notably now Big Brother just sort of gave up in the middle of the fight when he was supposed to be the best hunter / fighter in the tribe. The part where the female lead kicked all the settlers' a$$es despite having what should have been a bad enough leg gash was not at all convincing.

Funny thing is, after watching Prey, I went back to watch Arnold's OG Predator, and LOL~ There were definitely tons of stuff in there that wouldn't be acceptable by today's standards, even though the movie already rated R.
When she was on the hunt early on and they also had the Predator on the hunt and she fell into the mud I was like aww shiet yea taking a page out of Arnolds book. Fast forward when she was healing one of the dudes with the flower and talked about the body temp lowing then I changed to fuck here's the power up item. Still good though it's a good first step into hopefully reviving the series. Terminator and Predator are the 2 series that till this day I still hold out hope that somebody will come along and do it good and give me what I want. Endless fuck ups along the way sadly so far.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2022, 04:20 PM   #11712
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,805 Times in 8,184 Posts
Prey 7/10

It was a fun short action movie. I had a choice of watching this or Jurassic World 2, and I am 100% sure this was by far the better choice. In fact my expectations for JW2 are in the 1-3 out of 10 range.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2022, 07:52 PM   #11713

Thanked 2,336 Times in 967 Posts
Elvis solid 8/10

i did not know that was Tom hanks at the beginning..

i really enjoyed it.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:18 AM   #11714
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,705 Posts
Elvis was definitely a solid 8.5/10

Really recommend it.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:41 PM   #11715
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,353 Times in 5,069 Posts
That Austin Butler guy has an impressive presence even in real life... saw him getting interviewed alongside Jeff Goldblum... his energy/voice/style is impressive... felt like he totally stole the spotlight even sitting next to a huge personality like Goldblum.

Also noticed that Goldblum was very, very handsy with him... was a bit disturbing to watch lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2022, 05:45 PM   #11716
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
prey- 7/10

felt the male actors would've being better to keep track of it than the lone solo female what the "Alien" and "predator" series has stuck to these past years.

the production shots could've being way better but i feel they had to keep the budget small.

i was reading comments like "how did a group of roided out men in jungle be unable to defeat a predator & some skinny female did?"

i felt that.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:27 PM   #11717

Brains > Brawn. It was basically the entire point of the movie. Like 10 minutes in...
Old 08-15-2022, 08:35 PM   #11718
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,037 Times in 2,075 Posts
The Bubble on Netflix. Lots of familiar faces made for a very enjoyable comedy. Worth checking out.

7.5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:07 AM   #11719

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
The Bubble on Netflix. Lots of familiar faces made for a very enjoyable comedy. Worth checking out.

7.5/10
We watched that one in Phoenix.

Started off good, and then just got utterly ridiculously silly and stupid. Reminded me of one long version of the newer SNL skits, good concept, but executed with such silliness that it loses its funny.
Old 08-16-2022, 02:13 PM   #11720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
prey- 7/10

felt the male actors would've being better to keep track of it than the lone solo female what the "Alien" and "predator" series has stuck to these past years.

the production shots could've being way better but i feel they had to keep the budget small.

i was reading comments like "how did a group of roided out men in jungle be unable to defeat a predator & some skinny female did?"

i felt that.
Natural reaction I guess but dating back to the 1st movie it has always been like Skinnypupp said brains over brawn.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:55 PM   #11721

Prey 8.5/10

ok, where are the guns... NOPE.
OK, where are the strong army men.. nope.
the arnold play book that we are WAITING for ... nope.
really good era to pick. so much expectations, all shattered.

This is what i meant by having a great script and director who covers all the bases.
NO we aren't spending tons of CGI
NO we aren't going to pay an arm and a leg for a famous actress.
What do people expect from predator, let's throw all that out the door etc...

Very well done, refreshing to see a movie done right to say the least. Thank GOD there's no romance line, or cheesy jokes..
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2022, 04:05 PM   #11722

really? cartoon... danggg... not bad at all.
wife watched it with me and I didn't get beat up at all.

the ending was a bit rushed and a bit of complex for kids at the end but all in all, so good to see good calibre movies.

8/10 don't really know what was missing, maybe cause the end and maybe i was expecting it to cross over with toy story ahahaha
Old 08-29-2022, 12:25 AM   #11723
Banned (ABWS)?

Because of all the recommendations on Prey,
I decided to check out that movie too.

I would give it a 8/10. Good entertainment while it's kind of a female empowerment movie, it never felt like it was being shoved down your throat. I didn't really notice it tbh.

I never followed the AVP franchise so I can't really compare this to the original, but I read stuff afterwards. It seems like there were some references made here and there.

From someone that doesn't know anything about the franchise, I felt this was a good introduction and I didn't feel like I needed to know anything from other movies to enjoy it.

Despite some blatant plot armor and very convenient timing of things, for the most part, I liked the idea how the movie was concise, and things that the main character encountered on the way would circle back into applicable knowledge that would be used later.
Old 09-09-2022, 04:56 PM   #11724

Watched a couple movies on Disney+ yesterday

Pinocchio reboot - 3/10. Like all the CGI reboots, it's not as good as the original. And in that case, what's the point? Wife liked it. The modern humor they added was awful

Thor: Love and Thunder - 1/10. Can't say much about it, I only stayed awake for half of it. This is Marvel in full auto pilot mode.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2022, 10:36 AM   #11725

Marvel is a joke nowadays.

Never thought I'd skip so many of their films/shows nowadays, in their heyday it was must watch stuff.
This post thanked by: