REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   The Care and Feeding of your Cast Iron Skillet (https://www.revscene.net/forums/546018-care-feeding-your-cast-iron-skillet.html)

Kilinim 12-02-2016 12:58 PM

You can find good deals on Lodge cast iron skillets on Amazon and at The Bay/Sears from time to time.

bcrdukes 12-02-2016 05:15 PM

Do you have any experience with the Lodge cast iron skillets? A lot of mixed reviews if you dig deep enough into reading them.

Bonka 12-02-2016 07:54 PM

Lodge is great and cheap. Don't listen to those pretentious haters who complain about the unpolished cooking surface, weight, thickness or pre-seasoning method they use. It works fine right out of the box. I own one on top of an 80yr old Griswold and a couple of pre-1960 Wagner's and they all work exactly the same despite the differences. The Lodge that is sold at The Bay is mostly the Chef's Skillet style, however. Actually, the Lodge stuff works great in the oven due to the thicker casting and helper handle.

And you definitely do not need to spend $200 on Finex or other philosophical CI makers on Kickstarter.

bcrdukes 12-02-2016 09:32 PM

Thanks for that.

Will pick one up this weekend.

Kilinim 12-02-2016 11:19 PM

Speaking of Lodge, as per RFD, they're on sale right now at Sears!

punkwax 12-03-2016 06:52 AM

Just ordered one. $50 delivered after tax. Thanks!

heisenberg 12-03-2016 01:13 PM

do you guys think deep drying a cast iron skillet would do the trick, then baking it after ? LOL

Liquid_o2 12-09-2016 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonka (Post 8806814)
Let the rice sit out a bit before placing in the pan. Also try lowering the temperature.

Egg mixtures tend to stick although low setting might actually be too low in this case. It doesn't have a chance to coagulate and set quickly.

Sticking is usually due to lack of fat (maybe you need more :)) or incorrect temperature. I feel like you need to keep tweaking with this.

Any reason (high smoke point?) why you're using avocado oil? What seasoning method did you use?

After lots of reading I came to the conclusion that avocado oil works pretty well with cast iron pans. For seasoning, I initially washed the pan with hot soapy water, then dried, then a thin layer of oil (I believe now that I think back that the original seasoning was with grapeseed oil), and then in the oven for an hour.

I'll keep playing with it and see if it will improve in the coming months.

Verdasco 12-09-2016 11:43 AM

found a cast iron around my house. Do you guys use oil or spray for your steaks? Thinking of buying strip loins from costco this weekend

3 for like $30-35 :awwyeah: :awwyeah: :awwyeah:

Derek_N84 04-11-2018 06:52 PM

Oil and in my case I use avocado