REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 01-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #26
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
go to India, get like 4 suits tailored for so cheap. They are really nice also
Advertisement
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #27
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokentelephone View Post
You don't have to correct shit. I live in London, and there are great tailors all around. The best are on Saville Row, but those fuckers won't be adjusting your pants anytime soon -- they are bespoke only.
I agree with you completely on quality of tailors. I just always see it spelled Savile, not Saville.

On the other hand, does anyone have an answer to my question about buttonholes??
Old 01-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #28
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
Went into Oakridge tailors to slim down 3 Brooks Brothers shirts on Saturday, pick them up this Saturday so we'll see how they do.
your brook brothers shirts, are they the regular fit or the slim fit?....what kinda alterations are u getting done?
i am asking because i ordered 3 regular fit shirts and they are huge on me...so i am thinking i should exchange them and get the slimmer fit....
7Ma? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
they are slim fit and they were still a little large, I have a 16.5 inch neck, broad shoulders and a large chest with a 34 inch waist though. I had the sides and arms tapered. All 3 shirts are going to cost $78 at Oakridge tailors. You could just get the regular fit shirts slimmed down at a tailor since you're probably going to end up doing that any way.
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #30
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluE46 View Post
I agree with you completely on quality of tailors. I just always see it spelled Savile, not Saville.

On the other hand, does anyone have an answer to my question about buttonholes??
Too true, re: spelling. The etymology of the term 'bespoke' is quite interesting -- tailors on Savile Row would say that fabric has 'been spoken for,' hence the term bespoke.
brokentelephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #31
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Just my opinion here but I find that the people of Vancouver have no desire nor care enough to support a good bespoke/MTM tailor here.

We all dress too casually. Where in this city can you find an establishment that requires a proper dress code at least for men, a sport jacket, dress pants and shoes? I went for a NYE dinner at Kettle of Fish and beside my table were a group of Yahooligans dressed as if they were in a rap video. WTF is that? But hey, it's okay because we're West Coast and we're chill here. Yeah. Okay. Go to Toronto, Los Angeles, or any major global city and try to pull that off. I think not.

Nobody here is educated enough to dress properly and knows how to dress right. I'm not going to brag here but I'm just going to say it how I see it. I bought an off-the-rack Paul Smith Byard 2-piece suit at Holt Renfrew in time for my cousin's wedding in Los Angeles. Showed up thinking, "Man, I'm going to look like a fool!" I was wrong. Turns out I stole all the glory from the groom himself and the rest of the wedding party. When you know how to dress properly or if you put enough time and effort into dressing up, all the little bit of detail and effort will not go unnoticed. Unfortunately, people here don't care enough hence why there aren't many good to mind-blowing tailors in this city. They've packed up shop and left or there were none to begin with.

Just my 2 cents.
+ Infinity. When done right, Bespoke is superior to off the rack of any brand. In addition to what you've already mentioned (which I agree 100%), people in this city are brand whores so when they do feel the need to dress appropriately, they have to buy Hugo Boss (which is one shitty suit) or some other over priced brand but won't shell out that kind of money for a custom, hand made suit. It's sad.
micbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:36 AM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluE46 View Post

Modernize is capable of making surgeon cuffs (at least according to a documentary floating around the interweb), but I don't know if they can take an existing jacket and turn the dummy buttons into working cuffs. If they can, I expect it will cost you a pretty penny anyway because I don't think it's very easy.

Quote:
they have to buy Hugo Boss (which is one shitty suit) or some other over priced brand but won't shell out that kind of money for a custom, hand made suit. It's sad.
Here's my rule of thumb - if the company cannot list the thread count of the wool on the suit, then it's a 'cheap' suit. I remember when I tried on a Hugo Boss suit - wearing the pants was like wearing parachutes. I can go to Zara and pay 10% of the price for pants/jackets with the same quality wool and that fit my frame.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #33

For those who want a bespoke suit within a reasonable price range should try WW Chan (http://www.wwchan.com/) who will visit Seattle in March. Suits start at about $1100 USD but I've heard fantastic reviews. My understanding is that it is true bespoke and not high end MTM.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #34
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micbain View Post
+ Infinity. When done right, Bespoke is superior to off the rack of any brand. In addition to what you've already mentioned (which I agree 100%), people in this city are brand whores so when they do feel the need to dress appropriately, they have to buy Hugo Boss (which is one shitty suit) or some other over priced brand but won't shell out that kind of money for a custom, hand made suit. It's sad.
Some branded suits are really, really nice. RL black label for those on the slimmer side.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #35
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Just picked up my 3 piece suit from Oakridge Tailors. They made alterations to the jacket and vest (made both more fitting) along with hemming the pants. Overall, great job for $180. The suit fits way better now, compared to no alterations. I guess with every suit, one must make alterations cuz anything off the rack is pretty generic and not all bodies are the same shape.
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #36
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,228 Times in 171 Posts
just to add another thing, Joy and William know their shit. They totally fixed up my cuffs, a job that a previous tailor had done a sub par job on. Also, the jacket tended to lay strangely at the vent, so they restructured the lining inside TWICE to make it fit perfectly, with no extra charge on both occasions.
Powerslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 AM   #37
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave123 View Post
check out kerrisdale custom tailors

41st and arbutus (across from mcdicks)
I've been getting my stuff done at kerrisdale tailors. For straight forward adjustments (dress pants, dress shirt cuffs), they have done an excellent job.
86er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #38
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB20 View Post
Some branded suits are really, really nice. RL black label for those on the slimmer side.
+1

I really dig the RL Black Label suits.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB20 View Post
No, there are great suits off the rack...but for example, a Brioni suit at Holts is what $5k? That's the same price range as a Savile Row bespoke suit... same goes for high end stuff like RL Purple Lable, Tom Ford, etc etc.... you get a great suit, but you could get so much more with a tailored suit.

Just my 2cents.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #40
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

^
technically.................. =P
Can anyone recommend me a tailor to do a taper? I'm looking to cut the inseam from the inside, not the outseam, might require more work.

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #41
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Where can I find RLBL in Vancouver?!? Been looking for a retailer that carries RLBL for awhile now...
Old 01-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssDawg View Post
Where can I find RLBL in Vancouver?!? Been looking for a retailer that carries RLBL for awhile now...
Holts...don't know about harry.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #43
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
just to add another thing, Joy and William know their shit. They totally fixed up my cuffs, a job that a previous tailor had done a sub par job on. Also, the jacket tended to lay strangely at the vent, so they restructured the lining inside TWICE to make it fit perfectly, with no extra charge on both occasions.
How was the price point at Oakridge?

+ Any more comments on Albert's on Robson?

Any experience around here for a tailor on repairing some damage on a suit? My pant belt loops need a bit of work, but there is extra fabric from the pants to be let down to patch it up with.
svelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #44
I subscribe to Revscene

price point was reasonable
all my alterations came in at around $100
that included re-working the shoulders, sides, cuffs, arms, and vent on the jacket, and tapering the pants.

they're at 5534 Cambie
604 325 0545 give them a call
Old 03-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #45

just bumped into this thread and got some questions. Im looking to buy a suit jacket but I dont have that much to spend, I can only afford the ones from like Mexx, or banana republic but not from boss or holt. The thing is that I am kind of small (5'7 with a small frame) and alot of the suits fit baggy on me. Are these tailors able to customize the entire suit to fit me better?...will they have to re-do everything such as length, cuffsm shoulders and waiste?...also, when wearing a suit jacket, how low is it suppose to go?...whats the correct length of one...
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #46
I subscribe to Revscene

Hi Nano,

There is actually no standard length for suit jackets. That being said, suits are generally divided into small regular and long for jacket lengths so that the suit stays proportionate.

Id recommend buying a blazer instead of just a suit jacket. These tailors can customize these suits TO A POINT - do not go in there trying to get the shoulders re-structured, it would be a waste of your money and time. Make sure the jacket fits in the shoulders, this is CRUCIAL. The other parts (waist, cuffs) can be modified. The length of the jacket wont be modified.

I'd consider saving up and getting a quality suit or blazer. If you check forums, you may be able to find a quality suit for less money than you thought. (edit: Banana Republic has some decently fitted and constructed suits and jackets if i remember correctly, choose that over Mexx or Zara). It may just not be worth it to buy a Mexx suit then try to get a tailor to turn it into something amazing

I saw a Ralph Lauren Purple Label blazer jacket in 38R for like $400 US recently, not a bad deal
Old 03-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #47

Quote:
Hi Nano,

There is actually no standard length for suit jackets. That being said, suits are generally divided into small regular and long for jacket lengths so that the suit stays proportionate.

Id recommend buying a blazer instead of just a suit jacket. These tailors can customize these suits TO A POINT - do not go in there trying to get the shoulders re-structured, it would be a waste of your money and time. Make sure the jacket fits in the shoulders, this is CRUCIAL. The other parts (waist, cuffs) can be modified. The length of the jacket wont be modified.

I'd consider saving up and getting a quality suit or blazer. If you check forums, you may be able to find a quality suit for less money than you thought. (edit: Banana Republic has some decently fitted and constructed suits and jackets if i remember correctly, choose that over Mexx or Zara). It may just not be worth it to buy a Mexx suit then try to get a tailor to turn it into something amazing

I saw a Ralph Lauren Purple Label blazer jacket in 38R for like $400 US recently, not a bad deal
thanks so much for that info!.. as im getting a bit older now I think its time to start owning a suit/blazer, whats the difference of them anyways? i know blazers are more casual but how? is it the design or material?...anyways, can you pull off wearing a blazer to work, say with dresspants and tie?...or would it not match and instead I would need to get a suit jacket?
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #48

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
ok, i want to bump this sucker for some additional commentary

i've got 4 boss suits that need the jackets taken in (compared to my 2 tailored suits, i will never buy off the rack suits again, too much pain to get them adjusted) - so i went to albert's today at 12:15 - no one there - but man, what a dump that place is, its like he's got 1 room to work in... not exactly the most inviting place to come and take relatively nice suits that need work that i would suggest is not the most simple in the world...

so, alberts - can he do suits (adjustments to suit jackets and the seat of the trousers?) or should i be taking them elsewhere? there is the potential for 4 full suit adjustmetns & 2 trouser adjustments, so that's quite a lot of money - i won't just take it to anyone

thanks for any additional commentary
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #49
I subscribe to Revscene

i'll recommend the same people as before
take your boss gear there and they'll be able to do it for sure.
if you dont have a great feeling about alberts in the first place, and you are already considering going somewhere else, then go somewhere else
Old 03-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #50

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
i'll recommend the same people as before
take your boss gear there and they'll be able to do it for sure.
if you dont have a great feeling about alberts in the first place, and you are already considering going somewhere else, then go somewhere else
you hit exactly what i was feeling on the head - it just didn't ooze quality

how much was your bill, and what work was done? just so i can get an idea as to what i'm going to spend
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote