REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/autobody-lighting-structural-tech_192/)
-   -   Rain-x (https://www.revscene.net/forums/556641-rain-x.html)

Kei 12-11-2008 03:59 PM

Rain-x

rain x is good when its day time raining or night time no raining.....

when it rains at night time... the lamp posts shine a light on the car and glares the whole windshield, every time is like this.

any one that uses rain x do u guys apply to the front and have any problems?
thanks

k3lv 12-11-2008 04:13 PM

My theory is that because of the water droplets sitting on your windshield the light that goes through the droplets expand and then you see the big glare on your windshield. That is just my theory, cause if you turn the windshield wiper on and clear the rain drops the glare goes away.

Truenosan 12-11-2008 11:28 PM

It never really bothers me. I use Rain-X along with my wipers. It's very handy. I rarely just rely on Rain-X alone.

illicitstylz 12-12-2008 01:15 AM

Personally, I try to rely on Rain-X alone.

About the glare issue, if you speed up, the drips should just bead off, reducing that glare effect.

In terms of using the wiper, I've read that the rain-x is actually bad for your wipers, so you shouldn't be using the wipers. In addition, it will remove the coating of Rain-x.

The only time i use the wipers is in the morning when i first start up the car and there's a light mist on my front windshield (the only window i've applied Rain-x on). Anyone else experience this? Gets on my nerves cause that means i have to use the wipers..

SkinnyPupp 12-12-2008 03:07 AM

Rain-X is garbage, just use good wipers

r4square 12-12-2008 03:42 AM

Use the Rain-X washer fluid. You don't have to apply and buff, just spray on. I use it and it works great.

Nvasion 12-12-2008 08:07 AM

after i put on rainx on the front window, the inside front window always fogs up... its weird... thats when noones in the car.

illicitstylz 12-12-2008 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvasion (Post 6169515)
after i put on rainx on the front window, the inside front window always fogs up... its weird... thats when noones in the car.

I get that too in the mornings, but now since it started snowing, time to use the de-icer washer fluid.

!LittleDragon 12-12-2008 10:51 AM

Rain X is crap, I only use it on the side windows and the roof of my car. Seriously, why wouldn't someone just use their wipers?

Kei 12-15-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3lv (Post 6168280)
My theory is that because of the water droplets sitting on your windshield the light that goes through the droplets expand and then you see the big glare on your windshield. That is just my theory, cause if you turn the windshield wiper on and clear the rain drops the glare goes away.

actually its not just that, right after i rain-x the windshield when its a nice sunny day, theres like this "lighting bolt" 2 of them that shoots toward the sun.
this happens because the rain-x coats the window and has this film. and at night time only, when the lamp poles are on. it makes this glare, only when its wet outside. if i wipe the blades, your right the glare goes away, but is still there. but when the the car goes under the lamp pole it still glares up. but when im in the middle of the rode, further away from the curb it affects less..

ive rain-xed the windshield 3 times. and i think... this is the last time im doing the windshield... its kind of dangerous in the city. in the ally, highway, areas where there are no lamps, it works fricking great!

!SG 12-15-2008 04:59 PM

i rainX the areas the wipers dont get, so u dont get that build up of rain and water.

alex.w *// 12-15-2008 05:00 PM

rain-x is useless, it made my windshield soooo hazy

Psykopathik 12-15-2008 06:45 PM

proper application is crucial

-clean window and dry
-apply to window like wax small swirling motion
-repeat and let haze up
-wipe off with a damp paper towel/rag

i have nothing but good things to say about it. i use the pink rain x washer fluid to prolong the rain-x application

Uncle Benz 12-17-2008 10:33 AM

The glare is the polymer coating that Rain-X applies to your windshield. Over the years I have tried various different application methods and that stupid glare/haze appears no matter what.

Back in september I purchased the cheapest windshield wipers ($ 5.00 each at Walmart) to replace the expensive non metal types. I also added the spring that you can put on the wiper arm to give it additional downforce, (I think it runs about $9.99 at walmart or cdn tire), and I also use Rain-X washer fluid. Currently I am getting the cleanest and most streak free wipe EVER, regardless of the speed I'm travelling at. All my passangers have noticed how clean and streakfree the wipe actully is.

The Rain-X washer fluid keeps the Rain-X coating on the windshield without the haze so I will continue using that and recommend it to others.

verkion 12-17-2008 01:14 PM

I used to use Rain-X on my old car. Sucked big time. On my Evo, I've applied a layer of Zaino Z2Pro to the windows. Works like a charm. It's probably about time to do another layer, but its lasted quite a long while. Also, cleaning in between with Meg's Ultimate Quick Detailer helps.

verkion

racerman88 01-03-2009 01:12 PM

never had a problem myself