REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Honda K Swap questions (https://www.revscene.net/forums/558997-honda-k-swap-questions.html)

CruisingDream 01-02-2009 04:21 AM

Honda K Swap questions

Long shot but do we have any K swapped Civics(I assume) on RS?

Which chassis is the easiest to do the swap in?

Will I run into problems with Air Care?

Insurance? how will I deal with them?

which engine? built engine, or just a stocker k20A-type r or k24/20 frank?

and lastly, anything else that I should know about?

not many honda enthusiasts in the west coast...

vOLTZ 01-02-2009 11:19 AM

im gonna have to say the eg/dc is the easiest, with ek's you have to swap in eg/dc subframe and rack i believe.

aircare shouldn't be a problem with a nice healthy cat and the help of hondata

are you planning to do this yourself? if you are looking for a shop check out evogarage.
here is a k20 eg they did. they went over the top with this one.

http://evogarage.com/blog/200809.htm

Super Dipper 01-08-2009 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruisingDream (Post 6202185)
Long shot but do we have any K swapped Civics(I assume) on RS?

Which chassis is the easiest to do the swap in?

Will I run into problems with Air Care?

Insurance? how will I deal with them?

which engine? built engine, or just a stocker k20A-type r or k24/20 frank?

and lastly, anything else that I should know about?

not many honda enthusiasts in the west coast...

We are running a K20 in our 92 civic rally car.

insurance is based on the chassis, not the motor in the car.

for simplicity sakes, stuff in a stock rsx-s k20 or jdm itr k20. our stock usdm k20 is putting out 204whp and that is more than enough to put a smile on your face.

what else do you need to know? make sure you got a good amount of cash saved up. even with sponsers we spent about a whack of cash on parts and misc shit that was needed to get it up and running. As well, its no weekend swap. Tonnes of things to mod in the engine bay. We were one of the guys with the first k20 swaps in BC and a very early mount set from hybrid racing and it wasnt a drop in swap by any means.

if you are getting a shop to put it in, get someone that knows what they are doing. labour bill on something like that will be up there. couple grand at least. if you are doing it yourself, be patient and have bunch of mechincally inclined friends that you can call on.

good luck. if you have questions or need pics, PM me.

angus 01-08-2009 12:23 AM

Also , if you are going to do a 96 - up car (Dc or Ek) you will run into problems at aircare because you will need to OBDII port to be functional.

Super Dipper 01-08-2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angus (Post 6212303)
Also , if you are going to do a 96 - up car (Dc or Ek) you will run into problems at aircare because you will need to OBDII port to be functional.

if you get a chassis harness from either hybrid or hasport, it has the integrated obd-2 scan port which will scan the car for codes and diagnos mil/cel/emissions parameters, so that isnt a problem.

tatsu 01-30-2009 03:58 PM

i wanna build a K24/a2 frank in my garage, but i've never built any engines and i want help. it's a swap for EP3. i find that y buy a whole K24A2 if ur gonna mod internals anyway? y not juz build one w/ aftermarket parts?

Super Dipper 02-02-2009 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatsu (Post 6254683)
i wanna build a K24/a2 frank in my garage, but i've never built any engines and i want help. it's a swap for EP3. i find that y buy a whole K24A2 if ur gonna mod internals anyway? y not juz build one w/ aftermarket parts?

go to www.k20a.org and look for user nikos.

he sells built k24 short and long blocks. consider that route before leaping into your own build