REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Clarify this for me: I got in an accident in someone elses car (https://www.revscene.net/forums/559366-clarify-me-i-got-accident-someone-elses-car.html)

LongDongSilver 01-05-2009 01:52 PM

Clarify this for me: I got in an accident in someone elses car

About a week ago I got into an accident in my mother's car (the only car we have the drives well in the snow).

From what I gather this claim will drive up her insurance because I claimed against her insurance, as well, it goes on my driving record which drives my insurance up, is this right?

If so, how does ICBC justify burning the stick at both ends because they end up making 2x as much as they would if I just got into an accident in my car?

RiceIntegraRS 01-05-2009 02:25 PM

they dont, only ur moms car get hit. You dont get hit at all.

The only way this accident will get attached to u is if ur mom uninsures her car or insurance runs out, and then u were to insure a car the the accident will get attached to u.

Great68 01-05-2009 02:26 PM

Your mother's rate scale will take a hit, but not yours.

zulutango 01-05-2009 03:40 PM

"the only car we have the drives well in the snow)."... I guess not quite well enough...or maybe the car drives fine and the driver didn't?

skidmark 01-05-2009 05:12 PM

This can be complicated. I expect that the best answer would come from your Autoplan Agent, rather than here unless someone who has been in this situation posts about their outcome.

MarkyMark 01-05-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS (Post 6207393)
they dont, only ur moms car get hit. You dont get hit at all.

The only way this accident will get attached to u is if ur mom uninsures her car or insurance runs out, and then u were to insure a car the the accident will get attached to u.

This is correct, I actually talked to a lady at ICBC last week about it.

Either way only one of you will get dinged not both.

LongDongSilver 01-05-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6207517)
"the only car we have the drives well in the snow)."... I guess not quite well enough...or maybe the car drives fine and the driver didn't?

I know its a part of your persona on here to be an ass, I have seen your crap long enough.

To respond to this I hit someone avoiding a pedestrian walking when the sign told them not to, but the light was still green going their way.

Ultimately it was my fault for hitting the other car but if I didn't have to swerve to avoid a jaywalking pedestrian it never would have been a problem.

Thanks!

Edison_Chen 01-05-2009 10:03 PM

This is what I tell my clients, the accident will affect this plate as long as the place is still in place (there's still insurance). If the insurance on the will be canceled, then whoever purchases insurance first will have the greatest possibility that that person will take the hit.

GordonTse 01-05-2009 10:40 PM

when my bro got in an accident with my dads vehicle. my dad took the hit. only difference? $275 fee over 3 years or something like that. does it make a big difference that my bro's name was on the insurance as secondary driver, only reason why was because my dad went on vacation..

zulutango 01-06-2009 09:27 AM

"To respond to this I hit someone avoiding a pedestrian walking when the sign told them not to, but the light was still green going their way.

Ultimately it was my fault for hitting the other car but if I didn't have to swerve to avoid a jaywalking pedestrian it never would have been a problem. "

I agree 100% with what you said. If you had supplied us with your later information then I would likely not have had the opportunity to point out the irony in your initial statement?