REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Any runners in here? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/560299-any-runners-here.html)

Tapioca 01-12-2009 12:12 PM

Any runners in here?

I know most people in here are into bulking up, MMA, etc., but I was wondering if there's anyone into running? Does anyone here run races on a regular basis - 10Ks, half-marathons, and/or full marathons?

I've been running off and on for the last 3 years and I've run a handful of 10Ks. I was planning on training for a half-marathon starting in the fall and working my way up to the Vancouver event in May, but I've been sidelined with an injury (will be seeing my podiatrist for custom heel supports soon). Right now, I can run a 10K in just over 50 minutes, but I'd like to improve on that time, hopefully getting a 10K time into the high 40s. I've been strengthening my core with some stability ball exercises, but I've been thinking about other options too like yoga. I've also started to do some work on my stregthening my thighs, glutes, and hamstrings.

Can anyone recommend any tips? I'm all ears!

Shred_Head 01-12-2009 02:09 PM

I'm training for the Vancouver Marathon this year, but just the Half. It'll be my first half marathon.

But really if you run tempo runs twice a week you should shave off some time. I'm running about 53 min for 10km, and in the fall I was trying out doing sprint intervals in between laps.

Really, I would run a few laps to warm up. And then do 100m sprints with 100m really light jog in between sprints.

My friend's parents run marathons all the time. I've been picking their brains about it and they just tell me the same thing over and over again:
- Wind sprints
- Tempo runs
- Start training well before the event
- Lunges and squats

They also mentioned plyometrics as a good benefit to their conditioning

Conan O'Brien Sex Video 01-12-2009 02:24 PM

Maybe some info here - http://www.runningroom.com/discussion/

A nifty running calculator - http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Runni...calculator.htm

Try some hills training - run up a 400m hill with just a slight grade, then walk down, repeat. Interval training is supposed to help your time also.

As for me, I just started running last summer and did a couple 10k's, and a half marathon. I am signed up for a marathon in March and May, and will do the Sun Run in April. I don't really consider myself a runner... I just like to do these events as a way to challenge myself outside the gym. I much prefer lifting weights.

SuperSlowSS 01-12-2009 05:31 PM

you want to run faster? interval workouts! All those long distance training won't help with speed at all. And don't over train.

hamsup 01-13-2009 08:06 AM

i was thinking about doing the same thing.. i want to do a half marathon this coming year...

i run a 10k course consistantly under an hour... (i think i am around the 57 minute mark)...

I was thinking of doing some intervals for training.. but that is about it..

i would suggest talking to someone at the running room... or join a running group for support !

Tapioca 01-13-2009 11:54 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. Just before my injury, I picked up a Garmin Forerunner to help me keep track of runs and to set intervals for speed training. I'd like to do speed work, but most motion-control shoes (which I need because I over-pronate) are pretty heavy to run quickly in.

I'll see how things go once I get my heel stabilizers. By next month, the weather should be a bit better too for those runs around False Creek and the Seawall.

Orion 01-13-2009 12:25 PM

i used to do a lot of distance running but stopped for a couple years, last year I trained for a month to do the nike run, finished at a terrible 50 min.

i'm interested in doing half marathons and stuff this year and will start running once i have a bit more time

hamsup 01-13-2009 12:32 PM

if you over pronate alot.. i would recommend getting the asics kayano...

Tapioca 01-13-2009 01:24 PM

I hear that the Asics Evolution 4 are the best motion-control shoes on the market. But, they cost a pretty penny, ~180 bucks.

I started running with New Balance 856s 3 years ago and they were a great shoe. I picked up a pair of 858s in the summer for a cheap price, but didn't realize that New Balance reduced the support. Ultimately, I ended up paying dearly by getting plantar fasciitis.

SizzleChest 01-13-2009 02:39 PM

do you stretch after you run? that has made a big difference for me. core training is definitely a good area to explore and check out balance training as well. distance running doesn't require all that much leg strength. endurance training will be much more help than strength training so stick with 12+ reps at a lower weight.

Gh0stRider 01-13-2009 07:39 PM

whats your guys interval running like?

i stretch before and after my run.

Tapioca 01-13-2009 11:08 PM

In previous training regimes, I picked varied courses and always picked up the pace on inclines. If running flat courses, like the Seawall, I would typically do some speed work every 2-3K by gunning it for maybe 200-300 meters.

I always stretch before and after runs.

saint16 01-26-2009 08:33 PM

I've been running pretty consistently (at least 3x per week) for about the last 4 yrs. I've never really done anything above a 10k, with the exception of 1 1/2 mary. I pr'd a year ago in the 5k with an 18:30 and ran a 10k in 39:47, two weeks later. Since then I haven't been able to go below a 19 and 40:25. That's just cuz its more of a social thing for me now, I have a running partner I get along with really well, and hes had a struggle to go any faster, and I'm not gonna leave him.

I alternate my shoes between the New Balance 805 and the 903. Both super lightweight and really narrow with a relatively tight toe box. They're not shoes I'd recommend for the majority of people,as they are so light and don't offer a whole lot of support, but I can get away with it because of my build( i'm 5'10 and only weigh 145 lbs.)

And as said before the best way to increase speed is to vary your workout. For me personally I have one long run a week ~ 13-15k, a tempo run of somewhere around 8k, and intervals, which i typically do as fartleks, or hill repeats.

If I wasn't able to run, I think I'd be a whole lot more stressed with my life, as it seems to be something always keeps me really level:)

azncreationz 01-27-2009 04:20 PM

Yeah, I run races on a regular basis as well, anywhere from 5km up to a full marathon. I've ran about 7 or 8 Half Marathons. Got the 1st Half coming up in a couple weeks, and the Steveson Ice Breaker 8km this weekend (hope it's not too much ice or snow on the ground!)
I've been running the last 6 years, more of a recreational thing...since I'll never catch those 'fast' guys...
Anyways, back to your question about the Half. I would suggest you follow a training schedule, maybe the one put out by SportBC. Someone mentioned it's not important to do long runs? I totally disagree! Make sure you get your long run in, at least once a week! This helps to build endurance, and mental toughness! Would you rather run a half-marathon race without knowing if you can complete 21.1kms beforehand? If you had trained at that distance beforehand, then at least you KNOW you're capable of covering that distance. Remember, running is as much as a mental game, as it is physical.
Good luck with your races this year...if you want more answers, check out the Running Room forum!

Tapioca 02-02-2009 09:49 PM

Bump...

I finally got my heel stabilizers today and they weren't cheap - 500 beans (fortunately, my health plan will cover 80%). On the flip side, they should last several years and I won't have to shell out money for expensive motion control shoes since these things should provide all of the support I need.

After a 2-week break-in, I should be able to use them for running. Hopefully by the end of the month, the weather will be a little warmer too. I can't wait to test out my Garmin Forerunner.

4444 02-08-2009 11:09 AM

got to do HIIT - it will make you faster, and will significantly increase your metabolism
i used to be able to do 45 min 10k's when i used to moderately train - this year my goal is to train heavily and get into the 30's

good diet, and proper hydration go a long way as well (you need appropraite amounts of energy to be released as you run)

try the forums - they're usually a very good resource

racerman88 02-08-2009 07:55 PM

you could go to a specialty store to let them analyze your foot strike pattern. They$will then recommend a shoe. There was one across the street from toysRus on west broadway

Tapioca 02-08-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 6270711)
you could go to a specialty store to let them analyze your foot strike pattern. They$will then recommend a shoe. There was one across the street from toysRus on west broadway

I went to Forerunners on W. 4th last week and picked up some neutral Sauconys to use with my orthotics. I probably started running in my orthotics too soon as they hurt my soles pretty badly the first couple of runs on the treadmill, but I think they're finally starting to break in. I went for a 5K this morning and the feet didn't feel too badly afterwards.

Garmin Forerunners are pretty neat. I tried mine out for the first time today and I was able to analyze data from the run afterwards. I guess I'll have to look into high-intensity training as I'm managing only an 8 min/mile pace.