REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 01-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Coilover Question: Same spring rate front and rear?

So i'm thinking about getting coilovers for my S14.

i'm pretty set on Stance coilovers and their springrates 8 front 6 rear.

My car is pretty balanced so i'm thinking to get a slightly softer ride i can get replacement springs and get 6kg in the front.

do you think this would be okay? what would you suggest? thanks.
Advertisement
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
I STILL don't get it

In rear wheel drive applications you typically want softer springs in the back to make the car squat and compress the rear on acceleration. During braking the front end of the car shouldn't dive too much since most of your braking force is generated at the front. That's a real general thing though and depends on other factors that are specific to your suspension like the rate at which one end gains or loses camber during compression and rebound. Overly excessive differences can have a negative effect just like having them too similar.

You could get a softer ride by adjusting the shocks themselves without having to change the spring rates instead.

Have you looked up any reviews specific to your car?
Old 01-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #3

I have looked up some reviews the problem is everyone tells me it's Livable. but i don't want livable. i want semi-comfortable.

i've only driven one vehicle with coil overs and the springrate was 8/6. now the car wasn't set at the softest dampering setting, but damn close and it was sort of bone breaking.

but i want coil overs because i plan on drifting/autox/track.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Old 01-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it

All suspensions are compromises. You should order your needs based on desirability then pick one setup that fits them best. It's *very* hard to have a coilover setup that's comfortable and top of the line performance wise. If you've already tried a car with that spring rate set and don't like it at the softest setting then obviously you're going to need something different. Why not just get a lower spring rate all around? Something in the 6/5 range front to back if that's available?

What is your stock spring rate anyhow?

Edit: What is the Eibach's prokit spring rate and the Gab's compression/rebound? I'd say matching springs to shocks would yield a better increase in performance with less compromise to ride than going to coilovers.

Last edited by DragonsMaw; 01-15-2009 at 04:21 PM.
DragonsMaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
6/6 Would work, but 7/6 would be better. I think HKS makes 7/6, I don't remember.
Taniguchi swears by even spring rates, and if it works for his daily drivers, it should be fine.
But, the front/rear spring diameter/lengths are different, so either get Stance to make them that way, or get Swift Springs for custom springrates.

New Bushings all around would also make a world of difference for comfort. $140 for Bushings, double that to get them installed (maybe more)
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Not sure about your application but if they come with 8/6, i'd do 7/6 before 6/6.
I like a little difference, personally (i know all cars are different, but i drive s2000 which is pretty balanced now also)
wyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonsMaw View Post
All suspensions are compromises. You should order your needs based on desirability then pick one setup that fits them best. It's *very* hard to have a coilover setup that's comfortable and top of the line performance wise. If you've already tried a car with that spring rate set and don't like it at the softest setting then obviously you're going to need something different. Why not just get a lower spring rate all around? Something in the 6/5 range front to back if that's available?

What is your stock spring rate anyhow?

Edit: What is the Eibach's prokit spring rate and the Gab's compression/rebound? I'd say matching springs to shocks would yield a better increase in performance with less compromise to ride than going to coilovers.
i can't say for sure what the springrate is. but iirc it's 3kg

for dampening i also set it closer to stiffest.

well for the coil overs, i also want to go lower, and i'm not sure how long i'd want it lowered. so the adjustibility itself is helpful. plus GAB or KYB shocks aren't that great from what i've read and then moving up in price would get me closer to coilover money, since i'd probably want new springs as well.

I agree though, comfort and performance can't go hand in hand, but i just dont' want any regrets when buying something that's $1000+

i think 6/5 might work as well, just because daily driving would be 98% of the car's duties and sometimes after a long day, you just want to relax.

thanks for the advice so far.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 01-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

ride comfort depends on the shock dampening which you will not get out of a cheap coilover set like stance or megan or ksports or those kinda junk. if you spend good money on a set of HKS or Apex or Racing Gear suspension kits, you'll be able to order pre valved or set the valving when you order them to be what you want it at and adjust them with noticeable difference. With the cheaper sets like Tein or JIC and such, they offer dampening adjustment BUT the increments are not wide at all where you change to a setting and it doesn't change much. you should do more research when you're wanting quality. Spring rates don't make much difference when you want the comfort that you're looking for.
Jun_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #9

I've actually heard for the price Stance is very good, no complaints. That's my main issue really. i can't afford higher up brands, because of budget restraints. So i'm pretty much making due with what i can afford and making the best of it.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 01-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

if thats the case, you could spend the same amount on a set of good condition used high quality set. if you're interested just pm me and i'll fill you in on it.

Jun
Jun_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #11

^ maybe we can keep the discussion here so other people can benefit from it as well.

Personally after ib ought used shocks the first time i sort of said i'd never buy used suspension ever again.

how can i test the shocks to make sure they're still okay?
and as for higher quality coil overs what would you suggest?
I can only think of KW or Ohlins
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 01-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #12

brought back to life

i think i'm just going to go 8/6 it should be fine.

would anyone suggest a different brand maybe?
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 01-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeTech View Post
^ maybe we can keep the discussion here so other people can benefit from it as well.

Personally after ib ought used shocks the first time i sort of said i'd never buy used suspension ever again.

how can i test the shocks to make sure they're still okay?
and as for higher quality coil overs what would you suggest?
I can only think of KW or Ohlins
Short of a shock dyno I don't think there's any way to test it out too well. Most you could do is check if they're not leaking.

Supposedly Ohlins makes some of the most consistent shocks though I can't find my bookmark from testing anymore so it's pretty much heresay.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,504 Times in 4,308 Posts
Koni also specializes in custom shocks built to spec but Ohlins, man, $$$$$$!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #15

^ i'm thinking about SPL now

got a great price from Z tune, what do you guys think ? i've heard good things about them, but then again i heard good things about stance too lol
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 01-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #16
RS Veteran

^
Are they actually properly tuned for the S14? If not, they're just generic coilovers using generic shock absorbers and springs. Stay away.

Anyways, cakeTECH, you have PM!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #17

^ TY for pm.

as for the SPLs they seem to be tuned for nissans in general i believe more so the s14 and the Z32. not entirely sure though.

but stance makes an even wider selection.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 01-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #18
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

too bad stance doesnt make the gr basic anymore its cheap and pretty much the same as gr+
and as of afforable coilovers goes its hard to find new ones for cheap, best bet is go thru zilvia's advertise section and look for deals
i got mine for 1300 after tax at p-d-m
nismosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismosx View Post
too bad stance doesnt make the gr basic anymore its cheap and pretty much the same as gr+
and as of afforable coilovers goes its hard to find new ones for cheap, best bet is go thru zilvia's advertise section and look for deals
i got mine for 1300 after tax at p-d-m
is it really the same? i thought the GR+ pros are much better for daily i guess not. i'm so confused what to get.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 01-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #20
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
GR Basic, GR+ and GR+ Pros are different.

The Pros have helper springs which don't really do anything. It just absorbs everything "inbetween" which could just as easily be done with the right damper settings.

Tanabe makes 6/5
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:28 AM   #21

Apexi Type EX-V

anyone care to share their feelings for that?

it's in my budget of $1500
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 02-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #22
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I know many people that vouch for the Stance's. For the price theyre a great set. And as mentioned earlier, if you intend on auto-x or drifting, might as well roll stock suspension if you want comfort considering the lean you're gonna face trying to get sideways with soft assed spring rates. If you're huge on inertia drifting and massive feints then go for it!
1991 2JZ Soarer - Parted Out
1990 Silvia - Parted Out
2005 LS430 - Daily
sil_fourty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #23
Banned (ABWS)

I have an S13, and I recently had my stock suspension upgraded. I just got some new front toe links, HKS coil overs and Powered by Max RUCA's. World of difference. I got the HKS coils used from a place in surrey. Car feel's 100X more better than any megan, stance or ksport suspension. I couldn't tell the difference on any dampening setting, with the cheap brands. Those coils that are $1000+$1500 are all crap. Don't even bother.

Trust me, if you don't have the cash to get good coils + RUCA's at least then just wait a little longer. In the long run these are an amazing coil, and they can be re-built if needed. Trust me its the difference from being comfortable and in control as compared to uncomfortable and out of control. I would try to read reviews on these cheap coils. Normally the person installing has never ridden in a good quality car with coils, so the comparison is weak. You need to know and feel the difference in order to decide.
stutterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:10 PM   #24
RS Veteran

^
Thank you!

Old 02-13-2009, 06:22 AM   #25
I STILL don't get it

Finally found the link in Slashdot of all places.

Shock dyno results, discussion.