REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Off-Topic (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-off-topic_147/)
-   -   My Jeep got bamboozled (https://www.revscene.net/forums/561588-my-jeep-got-bamboozled.html)

Nightwalker 01-21-2009 11:27 PM

My Jeep got bamboozled

Drivers window smashed out, GPS snatched off the front windshield. Nothing else taken, smash and grab.

minus ~$300 to fix window
minus handy GPS

Parked on a nice, well lit, central street in Parksville last night.

FUCK YOU BANDITS!

smoothie. 01-22-2009 01:16 AM

dont leave your valuables in the car

especially visible

rental_metard 01-22-2009 02:32 AM

wow that blows man. Mr.Smoothie: Parksville is thought of, at least IMO, as 'safe zone' because of the old age population density.

Paradox 01-22-2009 03:10 AM

there is also a lot of kiddies in parksville. its not safe just because its majority is old people. leaving a portable GPS unit out in plain view is not a good plan anywhere

Nightwalker 01-22-2009 03:58 AM

I've been parking in the same spot all night for 5 or 6 years, first time something like this has happened.

I'm honestly surprised.

Black SC2 01-22-2009 06:46 AM

GPS units should come with some sort of 'low-jack' option for just this reason. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to do, and could help with both car theft recovery and smash and grabs like Coal's.

Sorry to hear about this, man. I hate the feeling of being ripped off.

dustinb 01-22-2009 07:31 AM

That sucks dude. Do you have the serial number for the GPS? I know my GPS came with a little card that had the model and serial #. Might help.

AJL 01-22-2009 06:22 PM

that sucks but atleast they only broke a window and took the gps... it could have been worse.

Nightwalker 01-22-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black SC2 (Post 6239147)
GPS units should come with some sort of 'low-jack' option for just this reason. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to do, and could help with both car theft recovery and smash and grabs like Coal's.

Sorry to hear about this, man. I hate the feeling of being ripped off.

It really should be a standard feature for them, since that's the sole purpose of a GPS anyway, to pinpoint your position.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinb (Post 6239180)
That sucks dude. Do you have the serial number for the GPS? I know my GPS came with a little card that had the model and serial #. Might help.

Yeah, I reported it to police with the serial. It was a Lowrance iWay 350c

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJL (Post 6239923)
that sucks but atleast they only broke a window and took the gps... it could have been worse.

It was actually the worst case scenario unless I damaged it myself lol. I have a $300 glass deductible and it was just over $300 to fix the window anyway. GPS isn't covered because it was a suction cup window mount and wasn't screwed down.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent guys. Window is fixed, pocket is just sore.

Paradox 01-22-2009 10:18 PM

yup, deductible is horrible. practically not worth it 99% of the time. gotta love having "Insurance"

Nightwalker 01-22-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradox (Post 6240410)
yup, deductible is horrible. practically not worth it 99% of the time. gotta love having "Insurance"

You'd think with 8 years of paying insurance, most of the time on more than one vehicle, they'd give you some sort of freebie.

I've never had a claim.