REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 01-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Trans Help!

Alright Hears My Problem. I Have B18a1 That Im About To Turbo But I Dont Know What Transmission I Should Use. I Have The Stock 5spd Transmission Out Of The B18a1 And I Also Have A B17 Transmission.

The B17 Is Ment For Keeping The Motor In Vtec, So Would That Be A Bad Thing With The Turbo?

Pros And Cons Would Be Great! Thanks.
Advertisement
Mr.Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
The gearing ratio for the B17a1 transmission is very short throughout all gears.

1st: 3.230
2nd: 2.105
3rd: 1.458
4th: 1.107
5th: 0.848
Reverse: 3.000
Final Drive: 4.400

It'll make daily driving in traffic with a turbo'ed car a little unbearable at times, especially since you'll find yourself rowing through those gears more often than the B18. Also, be wary of the differential in that transmission... they're known to blow if you put a fair chunk of power through 'em.

The B18a1, however, obviously has longer gearing. First and second are much longer, while third and fourth are just a little longer. Fifth is the same as the B17a1. Depending on how you look at it, that's either a pro or con. Just a personal choice, really.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote