REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/autobody-lighting-structural-tech_192/)
-   -   Bumper paint - should this happen? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/562299-bumper-paint-should-happen.html)

syee 01-27-2009 12:15 PM

Bumper paint - should this happen?

Looking for the experts advice here:

From a long time ago, I was told that paint used on bumpers were a little different from paint on the rest of the body in that it was slightly flexible, so that small bumps, etc wouldn't cause the paint to crack.

Anyways, going with that point, I noticed last week when I was washing the car the following:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9334/img5589tv1.jpg

A little history about this bumper - it was replaced in January of 08, after a front end accident on my car. Essentially, the bumper and hood were replaced (as well as some other items but they're not relevant to the story).

I'm not exactly sure when this paint damage occured, but based on the picture, I can't imagine it being from any impact damage as it would have left some kind of mark on the body. (as the foglight corner there is pretty rigid)

In your expert opinion, does this look like a problem with the paint job? If so, do most body shops warranty something like this? I'm just curious as I know zilch about autobody and paint, and didn't want to go back to the body shop and complain and look like an idiot if this is something that was my fault. (which I don't believe is my fault, but with the snow, etc over the last month, it could have been possible)

whitescirocco 01-27-2009 12:59 PM

Well its hard to say usually when there is a paint issue the paint will flake off and its usually a primer issue which you would traditionally see black (plastic). Im not saying you hit anything but it almost looks like its from a impact, did you remember hitting any snow or anything?

All body shops will warranty there work assuming its a icbc claim and its from a accredited shop.... Does it hurt to ask or try does it?????

syee 01-27-2009 01:23 PM

It is the black plastic underneath. The flash just makes it look greyish. The missing paint is probably from the hose/mitt when I was washing the car. I noticed some flakes of paint in my mitt which was why I went searching for where it came from.

To be honest, it's entirely possible it could be from impact from the snow. I just would have thought I'd see some scratches or dents as the plastic is fairly soft.

It is an ICBC job, and it's from an accredited shop (actually, one of the RS sponsors). I'll give them a call or shoot them an email to ask. I just wanted to get opinions on what others thought first.

whitescirocco 01-27-2009 02:03 PM

It looks like its from damage to be honest :( When its cold out the paint does have less flex to it thus cracking..... I good out my front bumper on my car because of the cold it just cracked on a light impact from a chunk on snow.

Chat it up with the body shop.... just dont expect them to cover the repair that would be my theory.

syee 01-27-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitescirocco (Post 6248807)
It looks like its from damage to be honest :( When its cold out the paint does have less flex to it thus cracking..... I good out my front bumper on my car because of the cold it just cracked on a light impact from a chunk on snow.

Chat it up with the body shop.... just dont expect them to cover the repair that would be my theory.

heh, yeah, I half expected it to be from the snow. I'll chat with them and see what they can do about it. I'm willing to fork out the money if I have to - I'm guessing they'll probably repaint the entire bumper though unless you're really good at blending the paint.

whitescirocco 01-27-2009 03:15 PM

I have seen some of the "touch up guy's" do some magic before on painting a section. But chat it up and see what they say doesnt hurt to talk to them.

6thGear. 01-29-2009 11:20 PM

That's from impact. You can see the paint crack lines going away from the paint flakes. If it gets fixed, the base coat will be spotted in that area and blended out and the whoel bumper gets clear coated

syee 01-30-2009 12:04 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Like all have mentioned, it's probably impact from the snow we had a while back that I didn't notice until now. I'm going to go around to a few body shops to see what their quote to fix something like that will be. Hoping it's not going to be too much...

whitescirocco 01-30-2009 03:29 PM

Best of luck man!

6thGear. 01-30-2009 08:19 PM

Your looking at about 2.4 - 2.7 hr labor time. Plus the time to R&I the bumper and foglights. Although some shops may charge you 1.5 hr paint time and blend both color and clearcoat in that area thus saving you some money.

syee 01-30-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6thGear. (Post 6255625)
Your looking at about 2.4 - 2.7 hr labor time. Plus the time to R&I the bumper and foglights. Although some shops may charge you 1.5 hr paint time and blend both color and clearcoat in that area thus saving you some money.

Any ideas on what the ballpark average shop rate is?

6thGear. 01-31-2009 11:26 PM

$90-ish paint & labor. $60-ish body labor. You can give or take $10 to each rate since it depends on the shop.