REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 01-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
How I Mod your mother

Poorboys SSR (Super Swirl Remover)

Has anyone used this product?
I'm just looking for some opinions, all I know so far is that it can be used in the sun and that they come in 4 stages: SSR 1, SSR 2, SSR 2.5, SSR 3

-How easy is it to work with?
-Does it contain fillers?
Advertisement
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla

Last edited by !Yaminashi; 01-29-2009 at 01:09 PM.
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Don't quote me on this but a lot of people say they do contain fillers. In my opinion, if you're going to be polishing a car, just use the good stuff. Look into Menzerna products, they're pretty much right up there (in price too). But they work well, and all the detailers who polish love it.
BrendanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
I don't get it

PB SSR series swirl remover isn't bad for the price however it doesn't have the "bite" as alot of the other swirl removers do, as for fillers im not too sure myself if it contains any. Optimum products also work well in the sun If you really want a 1,2 punch combo that will do pretty much any job that is thrown at it I would suggest Menzerna SIP (super intensive polish) or IP ( Intensive polish - for softer clear coats) and Menzerna P083RD for finishing and to bring out the shine.
BoySupra604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoySupra604 View Post
PB SSR series swirl remover isn't bad for the price however it doesn't have the "bite" as alot of the other swirl removers do, as for fillers im not too sure myself if it contains any. Optimum products also work well in the sun If you really want a 1,2 punch combo that will do pretty much any job that is thrown at it I would suggest Menzerna SIP (super intensive polish) or IP ( Intensive polish - for softer clear coats) and Menzerna P083RD for finishing and to bring out the shine.
Hmm, well I'll be detailing a nissan so I dunno if Nissan has softer clearcoats.
But if it does do you think the PB SSR 2.5 followed up with SSR 1 will be enough?

Or should I go with the menzerna intensive?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
Old 01-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Hmm, well I'll be detailing a nissan so I dunno if Nissan has softer clearcoats.
But if it does do you think the PB SSR 2.5 followed up with SSR 1 will be enough?

Or should I go with the menzerna intensive?
The cc on the G is quite soft, so I'd expect yours to be. Can't tell though. PB SSR 2.5 followed by SSR1 should be ok, depends on how bad the clear is though? Only way to know is to start with the least abrasive, and work your way up. Hope i helped.

Brendan
BrendanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
How I Mod your mother

Thanks, that helped a bit, knowing that the CC is soft will help me choose the right polish.

But I still need to know if the PB contains fillers. I'm not sure if I can justify the price of the menzerna, unless the PB doesnt work

I also dont want to be removing more cc than I have to, so I guess I'm still kinda stuck
Quote:
Old 01-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

If you want to keep it simple, get the new Menz Power Finish. Has pretty much the same cutting ability as SIP, but finishes down as nice as 106FF. Awesome product.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #8

Here are a couple of pics of a bike I did yesterday. The paint was not in good shape whrn I got it. It got one pass with Menz Power Finish on Yellow 3M and then one coat of Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
How I Mod your mother

Wow that looks great!
Do you think the Menzerna will be a little too abrasive for such a new car?

I bought it brand new in July so the paint is still in pretty good condition, just the usual
swirls
Quote:
Old 01-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #10

One thing you have to remember about polishing is that the polish is only half the equation. The pad is the other half. If you think the recommended pad/polish combo might be a little aggressive, try a lighter cutting pad first to see if that does it. On the bike I used a yellow 3M polishing pad because the paint was a little rough. On your car, maybe try the polish with a finishing pad. A finishing pad will have no mechanical action, but the polish still does so it will lessen the cutting effect. If that doesn't get the results you want, step up to a polishing pad. The nice thing about Power Finish is that it finishes down LSP ready. You don't have to follow up with a finishing polish if you don't want to. Are you using a rotary or DA polisher?
Old 01-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fanatic View Post
One thing you have to remember about polishing is that the polish is only half the equation. The pad is the other half. If you think the recommended pad/polish combo might be a little aggressive, try a lighter cutting pad first to see if that does it. On the bike I used a yellow 3M polishing pad because the paint was a little rough. On your car, maybe try the polish with a finishing pad. A finishing pad will have no mechanical action, but the polish still does so it will lessen the cutting effect. If that doesn't get the results you want, step up to a polishing pad. The nice thing about Power Finish is that it finishes down LSP ready. You don't have to follow up with a finishing polish if you don't want to. Are you using a rotary or DA polisher?
I'll be using a porter cable 7424 along with an orange lake country pad
(I'm guessing this is a light cutting pad)
Quote:
Old 01-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #12

The orange pads, when used with a rotary, will almost always leave some sort of marring which will require follow up with a finishing pad / polish. I've never used the orange pads with my 7424. My advice would be to use a white pad first as its less aggressive, even on just one panel to see if it does the job. If not, go with the orange. Let me know how it goes. Doh! I just realized you're in PoCo. My shop is just over the bridge in Maple Ridge. Call me at 561.5121 and I'll see if I can't do a panel or two with you.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
But I still need to know if the PB contains fillers. I'm not sure if I can justify the price of the menzerna, unless the PB doesnt work
According to this product description it doesn't. (no silicone or wax).

However, I'm reading on Autopia forums that SSR1 may have fillers in it (but not SSR2 and above)

I know the Optiumum line of products doesn't contain fillers if you're looking for a different product that you know does not have fillers.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
The orange pads, when used with a rotary, will almost always leave some sort of marring which will require follow up with a finishing pad / polish. I've never used the orange pads with my 7424. My advice would be to use a white pad first as its less aggressive, even on just one panel to see if it does the job. If not, go with the orange. Let me know how it goes. Doh! I just realized you're in PoCo. My shop is just over the bridge in Maple Ridge. Call me at 561.5121 and I'll see if I can't do a panel or two with you.
Gah! This is all so confusing now!
Alright I'll give you a call maybe tomorrow just to see when you're available and maybe we can set up a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
According to this product description it doesn't. (no silicone or wax).

However, I'm reading on Autopia forums that SSR1 may have fillers in it (but not SSR2 and above)

Thanks! thats just what I needed

I know the Optiumum line of products doesn't contain fillers if you're looking for a different product that you know does not have fillers.
Quote:
Old 01-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #15
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
just a thought - would it be so bad to have fillers?

if youre planning on polishing every now and then, youll only be able to perfectly polish the car a few times before you get scared running out of cc.

thats if it gets scratched/swirled up before your next polishes of course.
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #16
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Fillers make the car look good "right now". After a few washes, the fillers are gone and the swirls are back.

If you're going to put in the effort to polish, might as well get the swirls out so that it still looks good after a few washes and not all swirled. Fillers just hide the swirls so you can't really tell if you really got out the swirls or if it's just covered up by the fillers.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
Fillers make the car look good "right now". After a few washes, the fillers are gone and the swirls are back.

If you're going to put in the effort to polish, might as well get the swirls out so that it still looks good after a few washes and not all swirled. Fillers just hide the swirls so you can't really tell if you really got out the swirls or if it's just covered up by the fillers.
ive taken the time to do it right, and the "quick fix".

personal preference for me is almost perfect, then strip + seal every other season. same amount of time as one great polish.
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #18

I agree with Smoothie. Polish in the spring, then just glaze and wax in the summer and fall. As far as running out of clearcoat, its not gonna happen. A typical paintjob will have 30 - 40 microns of clear and if you were to compound AND polish your car, you might remove 2-3 microns.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #19
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
I agree with Smoothie. Polish in the spring, then just glaze and wax in the summer and fall. As far as running out of clearcoat, its not gonna happen. A typical paintjob will have 30 - 40 microns of clear and if you were to compound AND polish your car, you might remove 2-3 microns.
So really its not necessary to detail every spring?

BTW, I called you today but you were unavailable.
Whats the best time to reach you?
Quote:
Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #20

OOPS! Sorry about that. I saw I missed a call. Pretty much anytime is ok to call. I check messages regularly so if I don't pick up leave me one & I'll call back shortly. I am working Saturday on a ML63 at the shop.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #21
How I Mod your mother

Ok so I've decided to go with menzerna intensive polish, now I need to decide between menzerna final polish, and menzerna micro polish

They both seem to be pretty good finishing products?

911fanatic, any input?
Quote:
Old 02-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
^^

Why not go with Power Finish and save the trouble of going over the car twice?

If you go the other route a lot of people like finishing with Menzerna Polish PO85RD
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #23
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
^^

Why not go with Power Finish and save the trouble of going over the car twice?

If you go the other route a lot of people like finishing with Menzerna Polish PO85RD
I think the power finish might be a little too aggressive for my needs, even with a finishing pad?
It says that it has the cutting ability of SIP, so wouldnt that mean its more abrasive than the intensive polish?
Quote:

Last edited by !Yaminashi; 02-06-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #24
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
The thing about Power Finish is it does have about SIP cutting power, but it finishes down so you don't have to do another step after. SIP you would have to go over the car again with another polish afterwards.

But by all means there is nothing wrong with doing IP and then PO85RD, you might get a better shine out of it too, but its more work
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #25
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
The thing about Power Finish is it does have about SIP cutting power, but it finishes down so you don't have to do another step after. SIP you would have to go over the car again with another polish afterwards.

But by all means there is nothing wrong with doing IP and then PO85RD, you might get a better shine out of it too, but its more work
I think I'll play it safe and go with the intensive polish, then either the final polish or micro polish

I dont want to be removing more clear than needed
Quote: