REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Nissan instructs dealers to reprogram GT-R launch control (https://www.revscene.net/forums/562732-nissan-instructs-dealers-reprogram-gt-r-launch-control.html)

kyo 01-30-2009 09:15 AM

Nissan instructs dealers to reprogram GT-R launch control

Hope it's not a repost, but yeah GTR always seem to be a 'hot' topic on here..
so here ya go:

For the dozen or so GTR owners here in vancouver, you should so take your GTR and get it done:)

Article Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/29/n...aunch-control/

According to the dealer directive (below) and a subsequent report by InsideLine, Nissan has begun implementing a software change on around 50 GT-Rs awaiting dealer delivery, along with "vigorous encouragement" for current owners to bring their vehicles in for reprogramming. The onboard computer modification will supposedly offer "acceleration similar to that with the current launch control," but will do so without disabling the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC). At launch, revs will be reduced from 4,500 rpm to somewhere between 3,000 and 3,500 rpm and the clutch engagement has been reprogrammed to limit driveline stress. And this isn't just for Stateside GT-Rs. All the vehicles sold from here on out, no matter the country, will use the revised programming.

Nissan North America's chief of product public relations, Scott Vazin, told IL that the situation, "...has been blown way out of proportion." And according to Nissan, less than 1% of the vehicles – between 16 and 19 cars out of the 1,750-1,800 GT-Rs delivered to customers in the U.S. – have been affected. Furthermore, Nissan is sticking to its guns about disabling VDC, making it clear that the only time the system should be turned off is when the vehicle is stuck in the mud or snow. To make sure that point is driven home, a revised customer disclosure form will be required for all new GT-R sales from this point forward.

The dealer bulletin is below and... well... you know what to do in the comments.

DEALER DIRECTIVE

Nissan has enhanced the Model Year (MY) 2009 GT-R by incorporating new MY 2010 programming that will optimize clutch engagement control for improved drivability. This upgrade also improves vehicle acceleration with the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) ON/activated.

Nissan will provide this MY 2010 specification upgrade to MY 2009 GT-R owners at no additional cost. Nissan has already incorporated this programming into the GT-R vehicles in its U.S. inventory and will resume shipping of those vehicles to dealers. We will advise you soon on how to install this new program into all MY 2009 GT-Rs (see below).

The GT-R will continue to offer supercar characteristics of exceptional handling, maneuvering and overall driving experience. This upgrade provides the consumer improved drivability and enhanced acceleration performance with VDC ON (as required by the warranty). Standing acceleration capability with VDC ON (VDC-R mode) will improve compared to the original model year 2009 performance while such acceleration with VDC OFF will be moderated. Customers should be reminded to drive safely and obey all traffic laws. [Please note independent media reports of 0-60 drive times with VDC OFF (or what the media call "Launch Control") on closed courses with professional drivers will likely increase after this change.]

The GT-R Owner's Manual expressly warns against driving with the VDC OFF (except to free the vehicle when stuck in mud or snow) to avoid damage. Repeated acceleration launches with VDC OFF have resulted in some reported instances of damage to the transaxle. Repairs for damage caused by driving with VDC OFF are expressly excluded under the terms of the Nissan GT-R New Car Limited Warranty. Except when stuck, there is no reason to drive with VDC OFF.

This change was initially implemented with the start of MY 2010 GT-R production and has been completed for all 2009 GT-Rs still in NNA inventory... In a few weeks, you will receive the Technical Service Bulletin explaining how to implement this specification change for all remaining 2009 GT-Rs...

Berzerker 01-30-2009 09:27 AM

This is why you never buy a car the first year it comes out.... let them works the bugs out and then buy the good edition of the same car the next year when they have fixed all the stuff that goes wrong.

Berz out.

.Renn.Sport 01-30-2009 09:29 AM

firmware upgrade LOL

roastpuff 01-30-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport (Post 6254138)
firmware upgrade LOL

Driver update! ;)

Marco911 01-30-2009 09:41 AM

So Nissan waters down the performance of their car to improve the durability. LOL. Anyone have the new acceleration stats?

ericthehalfbee 01-30-2009 11:26 AM

Not surprising at all.

But it served its purpose - magazines have their test numbers with launch control, and the fanbois will continue to quote these times whenever they talk about the GTR.

Just like they still quote the GTR's Nurburgring time when you can easily tell (by the videos) that Nissan ran a juiced up (higher HP) version of the GTR.

Nitroholic 01-30-2009 12:28 PM

GTR is a pos

you 01-30-2009 02:56 PM

^:lol

LowTEC 01-30-2009 04:26 PM

:lol

If their transmissions still keep breaking down, the next "update" will limit the throttle input to 50%, and "The GT-R will continue to offer supercar characteristics and overall experience"

shenmecar 01-30-2009 04:42 PM

does that include the cars that have already voided their warranty?

Adrenaline Rush 01-30-2009 05:46 PM

Several GTR's are getting sub 12 second 1/4 mile times without the LC. A couple of tenths here or there isn't going to be the deciding factor when buying this car IMO.

GordonTse 01-30-2009 10:42 PM

not new news to me, GT-R came in for a reprogram 2 weeks ago, and the tech told me it was so that it removes the LC.

Death2Theft 01-31-2009 09:17 AM

Still worlds faster than any porsche in the same price range, dont worry.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco911 (Post 6254151)
So Nissan waters down the performance of their car to improve the durability. LOL. Anyone have the new acceleration stats?

!Tigger 01-31-2009 09:24 AM

oh well, its still looks nice.. haha..

Gtrr33 01-31-2009 10:01 AM

speaking about r35's a black one in richmond with tint windows...doing a ricer fly by on No.3 road..... showing off to the grandma's on the bus stop LOL

Mancini 01-31-2009 10:13 PM

Firstly, I'm not a huge fan of this car. But the power is sufficient that any enjoyment of it would likely be considered as "showing off".

Jason00S2000 02-01-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6254134)
This is why you never buy a car the first year it comes out.... let them works the bugs out and then buy the good edition of the same car the next year when they have fixed all the stuff that goes wrong.

Berz out.

My only complaint about the 135i is that the Ipod cable is too short to connect to an iPhone and sit in the iphone holder without the cable being pulled tight.

Oh, and no LSD :(

Marco911 02-01-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death2Theft (Post 6256209)
Still worlds faster than any porsche in the same price range, dont worry.

That's because Nissan couldn't sell it for what it really costs to build. Yet, Porsche is still a more upscale vehicle and manages to make the car at a profit.

Death2Theft 02-01-2009 09:49 PM

It's not hard to turn a profit when your new model consist of a headlight/tail light update with 20-30 more hp. Repeat formula for 50 years gather a following of metrosexuals = profit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco911 (Post 6258252)
That's because Nissan couldn't sell it for what it really costs to build. Yet, Porsche is still a more upscale vehicle and manages to make the car at a profit.

kyo 02-06-2009 10:24 AM

Stock 2009 GT-R with the new program:

1/4 Mile ET: 11.347
1/4 Mile MPH: 120.850
1/8 Mile ET: 7.282
1/8 Mile MPH: 95.430
0-60 Foot ET: 1.690

Source
: http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-GT-R...lip-17635.html