REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Are Cyclist required to stop at the stop sign? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/562757-cyclist-required-stop-stop-sign.html)

cococly 01-30-2009 01:20 PM

Are Cyclist required to stop at the stop sign?

Long Story short.

Are Cyclists required to stop at the stop signs?

What happened if they crashed into you and then HIT & RUN because they didn't even slow down for the stop signs?

Raid3n 01-30-2009 02:58 PM

they have to follow the rules of the road just like everyone else... although they seem to think they are exempt from just about everything.

Gtrr33 01-30-2009 03:00 PM

short answer.......YES

cococly 01-30-2009 03:30 PM

But, 90% of the time, they just didn't even look and ran the stop sign... :S

CRS 01-30-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cococly (Post 6254633)
But, 90% of the time, they just didn't even look and ran the stop sign... :S

So do most people driving.

MarkyMark 01-30-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6255703)

Most drivers run stop signs? Maybe they don't come to a full stop but for the most part people don't run them like it's not there.

BNR32_Coupe 01-30-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 6254573)
they have to follow the rules of the road just like everyone else... although they seem to think they are exempt from just about everything.

i gave a cyclist a piece of my mind, to say the least, after he blew threw a stop sign going like 40km/h

danned 01-30-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6255703)

well, i experienced some drivers don't stop when there is a BIG stop sign

CRS 01-31-2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 6255725)
Most drivers run stop signs? Maybe they don't come to a full stop but for the most part people don't run them like it's not there.

And the difference is....?

Not coming to a full stop and running a stop sign is pretty much the same thing. Just because you're going slightly slower doesn't mean you're not running it. Just like if you're just slightly over the speed limit, you're still speeding. It doesn't matter if you're going 5km over or 50km, speeding is speeding (it is breaking the law in other words).

jlenko 01-31-2009 09:12 AM

Stop = wheels stopped, not moving, 0 km per hour. Dead stop.

Rolling does not equal stop, regardless of two or four wheels, motor or legs.

cococly 01-31-2009 12:38 PM

Actually, what I meant was, cyclists didn't even SLOW down at all and just pretend the stop sign wasn't even there and enter the intersection...

There's nothing I could do... but that could be annoying if they almost crashed into you because they didn't even slow down for the stop sign while I didn't have stop sign on my direction

BNR32_Coupe 01-31-2009 01:07 PM

and since we live in canada, if you hit a cyclist, you're 100% at fault, your face and name will be on every canadian news broadcast station, and people will treat you as a reckless driver, running over peoples cats and baby strollers.

^ it sounds like im blowing things out of context but it's actually accurate. this is canada for you

jackmeister 01-31-2009 01:11 PM

if any of you drive at UBC Marine Drive between 16th avenue and West Mall you will understand what the problem is...

while there is a 3-way stop at every intersection along Marine Drive and all cars at least attempt to slow down/stop at each stop, cyclists dont do any and just keep going as if the stop sign was not there.

cococly 01-31-2009 03:00 PM

^ I wonder what would happened if a cyclist ran a stop sign and hit a police car turning left.. =)

twitchyzero 02-01-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6256175)
Not coming to a full stop and running a stop sign is pretty much the same thing. Just because you're going slightly slower doesn't mean you're not running it. .

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6256202)
Stop = wheels stopped, not moving, 0 km per hour. Dead stop.

Rolling does not equal stop, regardless of two or four wheels, motor or legs.

Are you two saying that you don't do rolling stops? and that you acutally stop and wait 3 seconds everytime you see a stop sign even if there's no car at the intersection? I'm not saying blow right past the stop sign is right..but i honestly dont' see a problem with cautious rolling stops (looking left, center, right and left again when wheels are moving at 3-5kph and there's no cars + peds around). Cyclist for the most part i see do stop at stop signs.

CRS 02-01-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 6258058)
Are you two saying that you don't do rolling stops? and that you acutally stop and wait 3 seconds everytime you see a stop sign even if there's no car at the intersection? I'm not saying blow right past the stop sign is right..but i honestly dont' see a problem with cautious rolling stops (looking left, center, right and left again when wheels are moving at 3-5kph and there's no cars + peds around). Cyclist for the most part i see do stop at stop signs.

Sorry to break it to you but there isn't such a thing as a rolling stop. That is an oxymoron in itself. Stop = not moving, rolling = moving.

I don't believe you need to wait 3 seconds but you do need to come to a complete stop prior to the line. I've never read anywhere saying the whole 3 second rule as I think it just a easy/safest way of doing it.

natedawg90 02-01-2009 05:57 PM

In my own opinon I think that if you come to a stop sign at a busy road, you should make sure that it is safe and clear to proceed wich does take a couple of seconds but when it is like midnight and the roads are dead I just do what people call the "rolling stop". I know when there is a stop sign you are to completly stop, even for cyclists but if they don't and you hit them it wouldn't be your fault unless you blew the stop sign too.

zulutango 02-01-2009 06:27 PM

I'm beating you with my ASP....shall I slow down or shall I stop? Are they really the same thing....I think not! Complete cessation of forward motion = STOP.

jlenko 02-01-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 6258058)

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. I come to a complete stop, with signal... even if there's no one around for miles - because you never know.

I have better things to waste money on than traffic tickets, and I'm never in such a rush that I can't take the time to stop for a stop sign. It's 2 seconds out of my life - I think I can spare them.

Plus... I'm older than most of you people here on RS.net. Maturity will come to you too in time.

skidmark 02-01-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6258278)
Plus... I'm older than most of you people here on RS.net. Maturity will come to you too in time.

:D I chuckled when I read this one. Unfortunately, it might not come to all....

sho_bc 02-01-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6258278)
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. I come to a complete stop, with signal... even if there's no one around for miles - because you never know.

Good call. We recently clocked someone driving 135+kmh in residential streets (50kmh zone) with their lights off at night. (older vehicle with no DRL).

MarkyMark 02-01-2009 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6256175)
And the difference is....?

Not coming to a full stop and running a stop sign is pretty much the same thing. Just because you're going slightly slower doesn't mean you're not running it. Just like if you're just slightly over the speed limit, you're still speeding. It doesn't matter if you're going 5km over or 50km, speeding is speeding (it is breaking the law in other words).

The difference is I can slow my car down to 2km/h and look both ways and safely proceed, I can't run through a stop sign going 60km/h and say the same thing. It's not even close to the same thing.

Im not saying it's not illegal, going 63km/h in a 60 zone is illegal, but it doesn't mean it's unsafe.

twitchyzero 02-01-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 6258520)
The difference is I can slow my car down to 2km/h and look both ways and safely proceed, I can't run through a stop sign going 60km/h and say the same thing. It's not even close to the same thing.

i think that's what i meant to say. yes rolling stop was meant to be an oxymoron :P Not completely stopping, but proceeding with plenty of caution to prevent you from hitting anyone.