REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 01-31-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

cheap but good tires

Does anyone know what are good tires that grip well and can take fast corners but are on the cheaper side ? like are khumos good ? thx
Advertisement
teg95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

For a good bang for your buck take a look at the Falcons. I ran 225/50/14's on my car for a while and loved them. Had great treadware to traction ratio. Usually about $80 a tire for common sizes.
CaptFiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

or try some Falkens
Old 01-31-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

how cheap is cheap? General UHP exclaim are actually pretty decent tires, they grip well in water and in the dry, and it also has 380 thread wear rating. The only thing that I dislike about them is the soft side walls, if you like taking corners, these are not the tires for you, however, for DD, these are amazing 'cheap' tires ever. Kumho ecsta SPT are good too, cost a little more than Generals and has a lower thread life rating, however, I heard they have harder sidewall and they grip really well in wet or dry. More people autox with kumho as opposed to the general tires, obviously, both tires are not suited for autox, but just to give you a sense of the sportiness of each tire. Also, you should hit up tirerack.com, lots of reviews on the tires.
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

kumho AST or the falken 512

they're pretty cheap over on discount tire direct...
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Assuming you're talking about summer tires.

Falken RT-615s are wonderful in the dry but a bit sketchy when worn and wet. They are inexpensive but wear quickly (in other words, they don't work out to be that cheap because you'll be replacing them fairly quickly). Great tire but IMO excessive for a day-to-day.

I'd say something like the Kumho SPT is a nice daily tire while not being too dear.

I have seen and heard good things about the General Exclaim UHPs (which are actually an all-season tire!) but have no personal experience.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

falken 912

some go for under $100 each
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I'd look up what type of tire you want first

Assuming it's for the summer

you have Ultra High Performance, High Performance, Max Performance. Extreme Performance,

in our weather though, i'd recommend either UHP or HP, you can even get away with Max Performance summer tires.

I personally run Federal 595ss, and they're not bad for the price point, they were $65usd for a 235/40 before shipping.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #9

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Based on my experiance, I'd reccomend Kumho SPT for daily driving.
OVer the past ~4 years, I've owned Falken 512s, Kumho SPT, Falken RT 615, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A and another set of Kumho SPT. and Have tried other tires such as Kumho Ecsta MX, Kumho Ecsta ASX, and Kumho Ecsta 711.

I reccommend SPT for its performance for the price. Kumho designed the SPT with the idea that it can be used for AUTO X, infact a lot of the local Auto X guys will use the SPT for STS and STX class as it is more daily driveable than RT615s or the ECsta MX. Yet the tire can perform and withstand the abuse. In fact one of the leader of the STS division a few years back was driving an Impreza 2.5RS on SPT tires, so if the tire can withstand auto x abuse, it definatly has enough performance for everyday driving.

From my personal experiance, the SPT are very consistant in dry and wet. I find that they far exceed the RT 615 in Wet conditions. The RT615 did not perform very well when the ground was wet. In addition, the RT615 has a very soft compound, which increased its grip in dry, however also increased its wear. The RT615 lasted me 2/3 of an auto x season (once a week for about 5 month, some times twice a week), with minimal regular driving. THe SPTs however, lasted me 15000KM of regular driving + 1 full season of auto x driving. WHich impressed me a lot.

The Falken 512, ASX, and 711 do not compare to the MX, SPT, 615 or RE050A in performance. The tire will squeel at even the slightest handling manuevers.

I had the oppertunity to test out the SPT and MX side by side on 2 diffrent mini coopers during an auto x event. I did find the MX to grip better, however i found the SPT much more predictable. You can feel the point where the tire is aobut the give out, and drive within and around thelimits. However with the MX, the tire would grip perfectly, then all of a sudden break loose without any warning. This factor makes the SPT more friendly especially for everyday driving.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a set of summer tires to drive everyday, i strongly reccomend the SPTs. They are fairly inexpensive. I recently purchased a set for my Subaru, 225/40/18s costed me less than $500CDN for the set including tax. And this was from a local supplier without the hassel of shipping and picking the tires up.

But keep in mind, the SPT, like all summer tires are not designed to be driving in freezing or near freezing temperatures, so you WILL need a set of winters. But i think most of the members will agree that having a set of dedicated winters and a set of dedicated summers is the way to go. as All seasons are a bad comprimise of everything
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #10

I say this almost jokingly.

Other option if you are a really cheap bastard, or happen to burn through a set of rear tires every 4-6 months. Keep your eyes open on Craigslist. Just punch in your tire size, aka 225/50/16 and hit search. I found these for $60 for the Pair, (30 bucks each) Still had the stickers on them brand new.

They were sticky enough, that my trans axle did not like it and blew the diff out the back. They are on the back of my V8 Fiero. I tend to light the tires up a little more than I should. So a set of rear tires do not last long.

Off Brand, Odd Name. Cheap, but look cool and handle well.

All the pics are here, http://captfiero.com/tiresfierce/index.html

Old 02-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFiero View Post

Other option if you are a really cheap bastard, or happen to burn through a set of rear tires every 4-6 months. Keep your eyes open on Craigslist. Just punch in your tire size, aka 225/50/16 and hit search. I found these for $60 for the Pair, (30 bucks each) Still had the stickers on them brand new.

They were sticky enough, that my trans axle did not like it and blew the diff out the back. They are on the back of my V8 Fiero. I tend to light the tires up a little more than I should. So a set of rear tires do not last long.

All the pics are here, http://captfiero.com/tiresfierce/index.html

that quote is very similar if not the same to the nexxen N3000, those can be bought at NTW for around $50/tire for 16". Tread wears VERY fast and sidewall VERY soft
Old 02-04-2009, 03:41 AM   #12

The sidewall is really hard on these. One of the first things I do to a tire before I get it mounted is push in on the sidewall it if flexes in easy. I pass on the tires. Either way, I'm putting my rear sway bar back on my V8 when it goes back together.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #13
I STILL don't get it

I would nto recommend Falken 912 (replaced the 512). For DDing they are fine but lack grip for any sort of spirited driving.
Kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #14

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Based on my experiance, I'd reccomend Kumho SPT for daily driving.
OVer the past ~4 years, I've owned Falken 512s, Kumho SPT, Falken RT 615, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A and another set of Kumho SPT. and Have tried other tires such as Kumho Ecsta MX, Kumho Ecsta ASX, and Kumho Ecsta 711.

I reccommend SPT for its performance for the price. Kumho designed the SPT with the idea that it can be used for AUTO X, infact a lot of the local Auto X guys will use the SPT for STS and STX class as it is more daily driveable than RT615s or the ECsta MX. Yet the tire can perform and withstand the abuse. In fact one of the leader of the STS division a few years back was driving an Impreza 2.5RS on SPT tires, so if the tire can withstand auto x abuse, it definatly has enough performance for everyday driving.

From my personal experiance, the SPT are very consistant in dry and wet. I find that they far exceed the RT 615 in Wet conditions. The RT615 did not perform very well when the ground was wet. In addition, the RT615 has a very soft compound, which increased its grip in dry, however also increased its wear. The RT615 lasted me 2/3 of an auto x season (once a week for about 5 month, some times twice a week), with minimal regular driving. THe SPTs however, lasted me 15000KM of regular driving + 1 full season of auto x driving. WHich impressed me a lot.

The Falken 512, ASX, and 711 do not compare to the MX, SPT, 615 or RE050A in performance. The tire will squeel at even the slightest handling manuevers.

I had the oppertunity to test out the SPT and MX side by side on 2 diffrent mini coopers during an auto x event. I did find the MX to grip better, however i found the SPT much more predictable. You can feel the point where the tire is aobut the give out, and drive within and around thelimits. However with the MX, the tire would grip perfectly, then all of a sudden break loose without any warning. This factor makes the SPT more friendly especially for everyday driving.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a set of summer tires to drive everyday, i strongly reccomend the SPTs. They are fairly inexpensive. I recently purchased a set for my Subaru, 225/40/18s costed me less than $500CDN for the set including tax. And this was from a local supplier without the hassel of shipping and picking the tires up.

But keep in mind, the SPT, like all summer tires are not designed to be driving in freezing or near freezing temperatures, so you WILL need a set of winters. But i think most of the members will agree that having a set of dedicated winters and a set of dedicated summers is the way to go. as All seasons are a bad comprimise of everything

I'm gonna need new tires this spring, and was strongly concidering the Kumho SPT's... how are they for road noise?? I hate noisey tires, and have been a loyal to Yoko's and Toyo's for most of my driving life. But the price and reviews of this tire is making me think to give them a shot...
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #15

i dont have much to compare to interm of quiter tires
on my rsx, my exhaust will overpower any tire noise, so its hard to tell

and on my legacy, the road noise for the SPT and the potenza were about the same
Old 02-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #16
Need my Daily Fix of RS

2nd vote for the Federal 595. I've even taken them to the track (when I first got my new project car) and the grip and predictability were very good. Now there are of course other street tires that will perform better, but I think you'll have a hard time matching the performance / $ as they are dirt cheap. I found them for my Corolla GT-S for $45.00 each (US).
apharmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:11 AM   #17
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

+1 for the SPT's.

Yoke's and Stone's are good but a little expensive.

Toyo's arent as good as they used to be.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #18
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFiero View Post

[/url]
As far as I know, and correct me if I am wrong, these "Fierce" tires are made by Goodyear, and the tread pattern is strikingly similar to their eagle F1's (GS-D3)
chucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #19
Banned (BBM)

just bought some ASX for dirttt cheap brand new all four

cant wait to mount them

dont know why but i had terrible traction on my last car with the SPT

IMO 712 was much much much better than SPT

SPT dry is ok 8.5/10

wet 6.5/10 couldnt launch shit (where 712 i could drop it in the pissing rain and still grabs)

cornering in wet was bad for SPT dry is alrit

Hydroplant in SPT i was scared go drive fast when it rains
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #20
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post

cant wait to mount them

SPT dry is ok 8.5/10

wet 6.5/10 couldnt launch shit (where 712 i could drop it in the pissing rain and still grabs)

I also bought some of these from SORA'T recently and so far they're great
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #21
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:

cant wait to mount them

SPT dry is ok 8.5/10

How cheap is "dirt cheap" ?

Care to share sizing and price?
chucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #22
Banned (BBM)

if 225/40/18 a piece is $120 isnt cheap i dont know wat else is

Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #23
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
if 225/40/18 a piece is $120 isnt cheap i dont know wat else is

$118 a piece is
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #24
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I'll bring them up again since I think they are the best bang for the buck performance bargain out there. The Federal 595's. I've even tracked them a few times with nice results in grip, predictability, and wear.

I know a place that stocks 225/40/18 for $74.00 each USD and offers super low shipping prices to WA. They raised prices for my Corolla GTS' size to a whopping $51.00 each USD
apharmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #25
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

One thing to think about as well when buying tires is how long they'll last. By going with a cheaper brand, they won't perform as well, nor will they last as long. By going with a brand name product, not only will you get more mileage out of them, saving you money in the long run, but you'll also get much more performance out of them while you do have them. A Falken RT615 probably won't compare in terms or performance vs. Advan Neova, Potenza RE01r, or a Proxes R1R.
jmygsr is offline   Reply With Quote